Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    As was evident all throughout S1, from the very beginning, to the bitter end. So, fairly consistent. Her overcoming her trepidation(s), and seizing on an innate, inner tenacity, is what has made the character a popular standout with fans & viewers everywhere. It falls in line with who she is, and what she's supposed (eXpected?) to be, feeling thrust upon her to some degree. That she's not entirely comfortable with the (somewhat self-imposed?) responsibility. She has... *ahem*... issues, and has always been shown to be sorta erratic, throughout all interpretations. This is nothing new. Think back to what Evangeline said to her, when recruiting her during the institution flashback, and her response.
    Wasn't the search for her father/giving up the baby/transform her helmet episode supposed to signal an end to that dynamic?
    Last edited by Theleviathan; 01-24-2019 at 11:03 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Wasn't the search for her father/giving up the baby/transform her helmet episode supposed to signal an end to that dynamic?
    It signaled the neXt step in her evolution, not the end of her free will, or surrender of her own, personal moral code. She's nobody's lapdog, not the MU's, and certainly not Reeva's. And she's willing to risk her own life to prove it, but definitely not her child's. The IC's been hedging their bets with both her & Andy, since the get-go. Recent events were not only telegraphed early on this season, but through prior cast/creator interviews, as well as S1 itself. Maybe you just weren't paying close enough attention.

As was evident all throughout S1, from the very beginning, to the bitter end. So, fairly consistent. Her overcoming her trepidation(s), and seizing on an innate, inner tenacity, is what has made the character a popular standout with fans & viewers everywhere. It falls in line with who she is, and what she's supposed (eXpected?) to be, feeling thrust upon her to some degree. That she's not entirely comfortable with the (somewhat self-imposed?) responsibility. She has... *ahem*... issues, and has always been shown to be sorta erratic, throughout all interpretations. This is nothing new. Think back to what Evangeline said to her, when recruiting her during the institution flashback, and her response.
    True.

But I was thinking more of when Lorna broke into the room to search it and when she stood up to that dude. She seemed more scared of him, than getting caught or having Reva find out. It seemed like he (or his powers?) scared her for some reason.

I agree Lorna's mood is erratic throughout the seasons.

BANNED

It signaled the neXt step in her evolution, not the end of her free will, or surrender of her own, personal moral code. She's nobody's lapdog, not the MU's, and certainly not Reeva's. And she's willing to risk her own life to prove it, but definitely not her child's. The IC's been hedging their bets with both her & Andy, since the get-go. Recent events were not only telegraphed early on this season, but through prior cast/creator interviews, as well as S1 itself. Maybe you just weren't paying close enough attention.
    I disagree. Yes, she's been indecisive and whimpering from day one....but now it's leading from one stupid plot moving device to another.

But I don't think you get to give the show or character credit for evolving Polaris if they immediately de-evolve her back. She hasn't evolved at all, despite a number of major changes in her life, she's still making the same baffling decisions. Ones that strain credulity, quite frankly.
    Last edited by Theleviathan; 01-24-2019 at 12:49 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    True.

But I was thinking more of when Lorna broke into the room to search it and when she stood up to that dude. She seemed more scared of him, than getting caught or having Reva find out. It seemed like he (or his powers?) scared her for some reason.

I agree Lorna's mood is erratic throughout the seasons.
    Reeva's a radical, MaX was a psycho. While what he could do (as in his powers) was probably a factor, who he was & his complete disregard for ALL life, is what I believe had her worried. That detestable scumbag was a mass murderer, and proud of it. I loss a lot of favorable feelings for Reeva, when she brought him & his associates into the fold. He didn't, and they don't, give a crap about their fellow Mutants & their dire straits.

I disagree. Yes, she's been indecisive and whimpering from day one....but now it's leading from one stupid plot moving device to another.

But I don't think you get to give the show or character credit for evolving Polaris if they immediately de-evolve her back. She hasn't evolved at all, despite a number of major changes in her life, she's still making the same baffling decisions. Ones that strain credulity, quite frankly.
    Grappling with self-doubt and/or second-guessing yourself =/= whimpering. Eh, I think your eXaggerating again.

She has evolved, but that doesn't mean who she is & always has been at her core, is gonna do a complete 180. What decisions that she's made or actions that she's took, have confused you, and seemed so unconvincing?

BANNED

Grappling with self-doubt and/or second-guessing yourself =/= whimpering. Eh, I think your eXaggerating again.

She has evolved, but that doesn't mean who she is & always has been at her core, is gonna do a complete 180. What decisions that she's made or actions that she's took, have confused you, and seemed so unconvincing?
    The entire episode where she goes to Marcos for help. Marcos summed up the entire problem with Lorna in one sentence "Oh....so the race war you started isn't going as happily as you hoped?" It's not just that she is indecisive, it's that rational people wouldn't act like her from week to week. The tone of her character shifts radically enough that you do get the sense that they are playing musical show-runners on a weekly basis.

I don't see any evidence of her character having evolved despite several significant chunks of time devoted to exactly that. Can you tell me some examples of how she has?

Reeva's a radical, MaX was a psycho. While what he could do (as in his powers) was probably a factor, who he was & his complete disregard for ALL life, is what I believe had her worried. That detestable scumbag was a mass murderer, and proud of it. I loss a lot of favorable feelings for Reeva, when she brought him & his associates into the fold. He didn't, and they don't, give a crap about their fellow Mutants & their dire straits.
    You are quite right, my friend. They really are evil mutants, caring only for themselves.

But your wording got me thinking: all they want is "money for nothing" by Dire Straits.

That was a cool episode. And the promo for the next one looks promising. But meh, another 2 weeks break.

BANNED

The entire episode where she goes to Marcos for help. Marcos summed up the entire problem with Lorna in one sentence "Oh....so the race war you started isn't going as happily as you hoped?" It's not just that she is indecisive, it's that rational people wouldn't act like her from week to week. The tone of her character shifts radically enough that you do get the sense that they are playing musical show-runners on a weekly basis.

I don't see any evidence of her character having evolved despite several significant chunks of time devoted to exactly that. Can you tell me some examples of how she has?
    Marcos was oversimplifying & being patronizing, as he often does/is. If you still see her as the same character as she was in ep 1 of S1, I can't help you. Broadly speaking, I will say this however:

... ya know, live & learn. Lorna's always been portrayed as a more emotional character, throughout her many iterations, who operates a lot on instinct. This show hasn't changed that, she often acted first, and thought later. But she's gotten better, a lil' more savvy, I'd say (just like in the comics). And she no longer represents the Underground, OR the IC (if she ever truly did either of 'em), but something in between. When MaX & his cohorts were brought in, and Reeva's (outrageous, insane) endgame became increasingly suspect & was FINALLY brought into light, the game changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    ... But your wording got me thinking: all they want is "money for nothing" by Dire Straits.
    HA! ThanX for the mind worm.

BANNED

Marcos was oversimplifying & being patronizing, as he often does/is. If you still see her as the same character as she was in ep 1 of S1, I can't help you.
    If she's the same character, that sort of implies she didn't evolve at all? So they wasted a few episodes trying to evolve, only to revert her back to what she was.

That's not character growth or change. And if she didn't think Reeva was going to pull out all the stops to accomplish what she wanted, Lorna just simply isn't very bright either. Most of what she has been "shocked" by was pretty evident from the get go. That's part of what makes it so implausible. Is her character to be hilariously naive?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Marcos was oversimplifying & being patronizing, as he often does/is.
    It doesn't make him wrong. He also called out the fact that Lorna was ok with killing a plane full of innocent people to get at two guys and having a moral crisis over what Reeva has planned for her hit squad. It's laughable.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It doesn't make him wrong. He also called out the fact that Lorna was ok with killing a plane full of innocent people to get at two guys and having a moral crisis over what Reeva has planned for her hit squad. It's laughable.
    It wasn't a commercial plane through, but a private plane. To kill one man who was enslaving mutants. Like she said, there's collateral damage, the plane, and then there's mass murder, a cruise ship

Reeva's gang seem to have killed thousands for sh*t and giggles, using the cause as an excuse

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    It wasn't a commercial plane through, but a private plane. To kill one man who was enslaving mutants. Like she said, there's collateral damage, the plane, and then there's mass murder, a cruise ship

Reeva's gang seem to have killed thousands for sh*t and giggles, using the cause as an excuse
    Ok, I can accept the first line....but are you telling me Lorna didn't know she was joining up with a ruthless person from the get go? Did she think they'd create a mutant utopia with duckies and bunnies?

Her conversations with Andy after what happened with Twist were the hardass Lorna who knew they had to do what it takes for her daughter. All of a sudden, a different kind of mass killing at their hands is planned, and she does a total 180 a few episodes later. This is not "in character". This is poor characterization by writers.

BANNED

If she's the same character, that sort of implies she didn't evolve at all? So they wasted a few episodes trying to evolve, only to revert her back to what she was.

That's not character growth or change. ...
    I don't think you're properly comprehending what I said, and would suggest that you need to read it again, in full. The implication was that she's NOT the same character, nor has she been reverted to such. Sorry to confuse you, I'll try & be more literal, from here on out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    This comment is what's laughable. Please tell me what Reeva's ultimate plan is, and the parallels between it & what Lorna did at the end of S1.