Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Really? I think Andy's the worst. Reed's the best.
    100% Agreed.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I also think Reed is the best of the family. He's the only one I find interesting. Lauren and Caitlin are boring with Andy being unlikable.

BANNED

I can't imagine a better way to describe the Gifted than a message board argument about "Who's the worst?" about the central group of characters. That right there is why this show can't seem to escape itself.

The best and most enjoyable bits for me are the bits without Struckers. Having said that, Reed has gotten more interesting with his destructive hands.
    Live true or lie well.

Personally, I think the Struckers are fine You have the troubled Dad, who used to work for the oppressors, but has now realised that his identity lay with the oppressed, and is beginning to face the long repressed consequences of that. You have the concerned Mum, who is trying to "save" her radical offspring, which has led her fairly far down the path of morally compromised behaviour. You have the bullied and disregarded son, who has found strength in a cause. You have the daughter, who is trying her best to hold the family together and yet is coming to realise that this is impossible.

In short, all of these characters serve a clear and important narrative function. You can dislike them, but they are far from pointless. I'm not sure that the time devoted to them would be better devoted to other characters.

That's not to say they've always been brilliantly written - as the summary might indicate, if anything they've been a little too schematic. Stephen Moyer and Amy Acker are skilled veteran actors, though, and do their best to lift the material.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I don't think anyone thinks the Struckers are pointless. The other mutants are more interesting and would prefer if any one of them were the focus of the show.

The other mutants do receive a fair amount of attention, though - it's an ensemble show. Blink, John, Eclipse, Polaris, all have important storylines.

I sometimes think it in part depends on which characters are well known and have a fanbase in the comics, as much as anything else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Stephen Moyer and Amy Acker are skilled veteran actors, though, and do their best to lift the material.
    That's not a particularly ringing endorsement. Part of what bothers people about them is how truly terrible the writing is involving them.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    That's not a particularly ringing endorsement. Part of what bothers people about them is how truly terrible the writing is involving them.
    Personally, I don’t think the Struckers are worse written than any of the other characters. Hang on, that sounds negative about a show that I enjoy Let me put it this way. The writing for the show can occasionally be fairly flat - think back to season 1’s treatment of Eclipse’s past, or his scene with his father this season, or most scenes involving John or Blink. The word I would use is serviceable - not bad but also not great; sometimes good.

And thus, the Struckers. And the rest of the Mutant Underground, and the Inner Circle, and Jace, and the Purifiers, et al. The writing is consistently at the same level. As, of course, you would expect. They’re adequately written, in a show which still has many merits.

The only Strucker I have an active hate for is Andy he's an annoying character and the weakest actor on the show IMO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Personally, I don’t think the Struckers are worse written than any of the other characters. Hang on, that sounds negative about a show that I enjoy Let me put it this way. The writing for the show can occasionally be fairly flat - think back to season 1’s treatment of Eclipse’s past, or his scene with his father this season, or most scenes involving John or Blink. The word I would use is serviceable - not bad but also not great; sometimes good.

And thus, the Struckers. And the rest of the Mutant Underground, and the Inner Circle, and Jace, and the Purifiers, et al. The writing is consistently at the same level. As, of course, you would expect. They’re adequately written, in a show which still has many merits.
    I guess I find serviceable, in TV, to basically be the equivalent of not good. It tends to come through as boring or forced. Which is a fair take on this show.

There are parts I like. It seems to find its voice from time to time, but it can't seem to maintain any forward momentum.

Mighty Member

Polaris's reaction when she discovered the Frost sister was in her baby's head was awesome.

Another good episode and I like the flashbacks.

But I need more action in future episodes!

This episode was one of the best. The Frost Sisters got fleshed out so well and Polaris' confrontation with them for getting in her baby's head was brilliant. This show just keeps getting better and better. Marvel Studios are going to have a tough job beating this when they start using the mutants themselves...

Incredible Member

Great episode tonight, that chick needs to be iced.