Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    But then where's the challenge if the battles are weighted towards the player? No one likes games that are too easy and when would Superman avoid a fight, if there is some random crime going on, would Superman just ignore it? A game is only worth playing if you can lose, Spidey and Batman can get killed by some lucky punk, you would need mooks that could hurt Superman, like Brainiac robots or Parademons or something and the bosses should not be push overs.

Its seems like you want a Telltale style adventure game rather then a action game, but considering Telltale just went under, that style of game may going out of fashion.
    Not just weighted towards the player; with regular fights weighted too much for the player. Uppercut against a bankrobber? Game-over because a Superman uppercut against a simple human would leave a bloody mess. The challenge is to find the healthy medium to fight others while upholding Supermans principles. Its not the physical harm for the character the player should fear, but the psychical.

Typical super-strength beginner error :

No, not really. Some adventure game elements; yes. But not full on Lucas Arts/Sierra point & click. Have never played a Telltale game so IDK. But solving problems by saying the right thing at the right moment without violence would be something I'd like to see in a Superman game.

Thats not saying there should be no all out no worries no regret fights. Doomsday; Darkseid. Their faces beg for Supes fist without any restraint. After all these dramatic fights where its all in are a Superman staple too.
    Last edited by The_Lurk; 09-30-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Astonishing Member

Kal's knocked heads with Greco-Roman Heroes, fought Angels and demons, fought reality altering foes, traded shots with New Gods. A theoretical Superman story could have level spanning ancient greek, post-apocalyptic Earth, New Genesis/Apokalyps, Earth in the year 3000, Lexor, all within one game. In 80 years Superman has done a lot of stuff. Imagine him fighting these things that are so massive they can carry the Earth like its a piece of furniture.

I'd think it'd be better to let the character spread his wings and explore the DCU than stick him in Metropolis throughout the whole game.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Kal's knocked heads with Greco-Roman Heroes, fought Angels and demons, fought reality altering foes, traded shots with New Gods. A theoretical Superman story could have level spanning ancient greek, post-apocalyptic Earth, New Genesis/Apokalyps, Earth in the year 3000, Lexor, all within one game. In 80 years Superman has done a lot of stuff. Imagine him fighting these things that are so massive they can carry the Earth like its a piece of furniture.
    https://i.imgur.com/0DaUgF8.jpg[/img]

I'd think it'd be better to let the character spread his wings and explore the DCU than stick him in Metropolis throughout the whole game
    Agreed. What kind of locales would you like to see though? = )

A trip to OA?

Gotham?

Daxxam?

WAR-WORLD(! of course!)

Hmm... there ARE possibilities here...! I've already listed the Phantom Zone, Apokolypse and the Legion future, but there's also places even stranger - like the 5TH DIMENSION!

Some of these places would need to be saved for a possible sequel though, one can't blow the load on everything cool in the first game - look at how they did it with Batman - they saved gotham for the second game, and tons of villains too.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think there are a lot of ideas here that could work if the game were organized properly.

Superman should definitely go off-world to showcase his full might. But there is potential in having avoiding civilian casualties during urban battles. There should be a way to show how close civilians are, maybe by quiet soundbites ("wow look at them" "glad I'm over here" "let's move further back" "can barely see them" vs. "Need to get outta here!" "let's hide" "way too close for comfort") and a way to piss off the villain enough that he'll follow you to a remote place (though not immediately).

I also like the "learning" aspect, which is important for video games. I think that a red sun radiation beginning wouldn't be bad, I'd have fun spending a good chunk of time in leap and beat-up mode. Flying will be satisfying then, and unlocking certain moves later would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post

A trip to OA?

Gotham?

Daxxam?

WAR-WORLD(! of course!)

Hmm... there ARE possibilities here...! I've already listed the Phantom Zone, Apokolypse and the Legion future, but there's also places even stranger - like the 5TH DIMENSION!

Some of these places would need to be saved for a possible sequel though, one can't blow the load on everything cool in the first game - look at how they did it with Batman - they saved gotham for the second game, and tons of villains too.
    I think that's a good point. There should be a logical progression. I think Metropolis, divided into a few unlockable neighborhoods, the Phantom Zone, and one or two space locations. Maybe there's a level of space exploration looking for clues and fighting Brainiac drones amid a destroyed planet, maybe Daxam as a location, or War World, and Braniac's ship. If it's the New Gods route then maybe New Genesis and multiple areas on Apokalips, but I would save that for the next game. Same with the 5th dimension, which should be like the scarecrow levels in Arkham-intermittent, short, and a wild hallucinating break from the rest of the game.

One thing I'd love to see is being able to walk on the surface of New Genesis, look up at the sky, use vision to see farther out, and actually fly from point A to point B into space and join a battle against invasion. This would be in place of insta-travel and would make the experience feel real.

Side-missions as Clark Kent hunting down a story would be amazing too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post

A trip to OA?

Gotham?

Daxxam?

WAR-WORLD(! of course!)

For a first game I'd be fine if they did something like Superman: Time and Time Again with him bouncing around through differing time periods. Way back into prehistoric earth with dinos and stuff, WWII period fighting Nazi Supervillains, fighting villains in the Soviet Block in the 70's, modern times level, fighting in the Batman Beyon time period, Legion of Superheroes time, and finish it up in Kamandi's time period.

You can save off world stuff for a sequel.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I was thinking about the virtual reality potential of a Superman game, and I thought it would be cool if there were a speech component to it, where you could comfort civilians, warn criminals, and negotiate with super-villains (or taunt them in battle). I'm not sure how complex it could be, but bots are pretty smart and speech recognition is pretty advanced nowadays. A broad list of phrases could work. I just think it would add a cool dimension to it.

I was also curious if there could be some kind of suspended object in front of the person that could mimick various objects. It could just be a plain bar suspended and given varying amounts of weight that one could grab or push or "throw" to mimic cars and polls and pieces of debris. Though I guess sensations on the gloves would be good enough?

Of course, once Superman is established, a whole virtual reality team-up with all your friends as League members would be possible and incredible.