Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default All-Star Superman Q&A thread *SPOILERS*

This thread is for anyone who has any questions or comments about Morrison's Superman opus, which was quite dense so it left some readers confused about certain things. Feel free to chime in if you have a different opinion or info that may be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    Superman made mention of a malfuncting Robot and I didn't understand how he came back after is discussion with Jor-el, and how he escaped from Bizzaro world is a complete puzzle to me... that whole book was a puzzle. The conntection to Sampsons conversation was a bit vage as well. And there were other parts when the story just seemed to hit a jump in the record... like something was missing. And it is still a question if he will return or not. What is he doing? Actually, the cartoon was a cleaner and easier to understand.
    I'm in the middle of something right now, so I won't be able to answer of this fully, but I'm sure others can help you out.

The robot was malfunctioning because Luthor had hacked into him, which is how he stole Superman's potion that gave Lois her 24 hours of superpowers for her birthday.

Could you be more specific about what confused you about Samson?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Jor-El's simple - he was on the verge of death and had a vision (apparently a genuine one rather than a hallucination), but he was close enough to the border at that moment that he could choose either way. And on Bizarro World, it was falling into a gravity well, so he used the rocket to fire himself back into normalspace. At the end, he's as Lois said repairing the sun; that's all that really matters, but the Golden Superman from #6 is actually an Easter Egg of a future Superman who lived in the sun for a long time in Morrison's DC One Million, implying that's what he'll emerge as here.
    Buh-bye

Do we know how Luthor initially contacted Solaris, and whether that had anything to do with his sabotage of Quintum's mission to the sun?
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This thread is for anyone who has any questions or comments about Morrison's Superman opus, which was quite dense so it left some readers confused about certain things. Feel free to chime in if you have a different opinion or info that may be helpful.

I'm in the middle of something right now, so I won't be able to answer of this fully, but I'm sure others can help you out.

The robot was malfunctioning because Luthor had hacked into him, which is how he stole Superman's potion that gave Lois her 24 hours of superpowers for her birthday.

Could you be more specific about what confused you about Samson?
    It wasn't even clear what happened in that lab with Lois, other than that she had a paranoid delusion. I couldn't make sense of the converation with Sampson at all... and I have no idea how he finally got that rocket lit in Bizzarro world. It sourt of just worked itself out right in the nick of time.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

It wasn't even clear what happened in that lab with Lois, other than that she had a paranoid delusion. I couldn't make sense of the converation with Sampson at all... and I have no idea how he finally got that rocket lit in Bizzarro world. It sourt of just worked itself out right in the nick of time.
    Bizarro himself lit the rocket with his flame breath, and Superman outright explained what was going on with Lois, that the chemicals for the super-serum gave her paranoia because she exposed herself while it was still in progress. Not sure of your issue with Sampson, he's pretty clear about "I've been to the future and know you're dying".
    Buh-bye

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It wasn't even clear what happened in that lab with Lois, other than that she had a paranoid delusion.
    Superman warns Lois to not go near his lab because he's conducting some dangerous experiments. Lois, being the intrepid reporter she is, can't help herself and decides to investigate because the surest way to make Lois Lane want to do look into something is to tell her to not go someplace. The lab was only accessible to her because, as we learn later, Luthor had hacked into one of Superman's robots to steal the 24 hour super-potion, causing it to malfunction and leave the door open, which temporarily infected Lois in fumes that caused her to become paranoid. All of this is explained in the dialogue.

I couldn't make sense of the converation with Sampson at all...
    When he first appears, Sampson is introduced as a time-travelling hero. He knew of Superman's impending demise and was commenting on it because he's a douche. He's meant to represent toxic masculinity to contrast against Superman.

and I have no idea how he finally got that rocket lit in Bizzarro world. It sourt of just worked itself out right in the nick of time.
    If memory serves, Zibrarro built a rocket to escape Bizarro World, but gave it to Superman instead so he could return to Earth. Bizarro ignited the fuel with his breath.

It seems like a lot of the problems you are having stem from you missing dialogue explaining what's going on. When you read All-Star Superman, were you constantly being distracted by something else or were you in a rush? All Star Superman, like most of Morrison's stuff, is a particularly dense piece of work. It's not something you can read without really focusing on every last detail. There's not a single wasted panel or line of dialogue. Morrison wrote it while his father was dying from cancer I believe and threw everything he had into it to help him deal with the grief. His intention was nothing less than to create a story "worthy of Superman" and I think he absolutely succeeded.

That said, it is not light reading. It's a modern myth that is incredibly dense and challenging at time. I totally understand why some readers are turned off by Morrison's writing. He is not for everyone because he does not write superhero comic books the way most superhero comic book writers do. He tries to elevate the form every time. Sometimes, it's a big swing and a miss like his aborted Authority run, but other times he knocks it out of the park, as he did with All Star Superman.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I reread this recently and now, after having read the Black Label Batman, I am tempted to buy it in yet another format.

What about Superman Vs. the Sphinx, I place my money on Supes all the way, so I guess the real question is, Who is the Unstoppable Force, and who is the Immovable Object?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The lab was only accessible to her because, as we learn later, Luthor had hacked into one of Superman's robots to steal the 24 hour super-potion, causing it to malfunction and leave the door open, which temporarily infected Lois in fumes that caused her to become paranoid. All of this is explained in the dialogue.
    That was 150 pages later and it wasn't even clear from the dialog. It doesn't even make sense. Suddenly Luther is spouting off at the mouth at the end reconstructing events from 5 books backwards, seemingly randomly claiming events that happened as if the writer says, "Well I have to explain this so lets make it so that...." and a whole new contruction of reality is created which is haphazardly stitched onto the book. Did you ever see the movie Tootsie with Dustman Hoffman. At the end he reveals himself and then makes this huge speach that makes no real sense, but it fixes the soap opera's story.

Luther from jail gets a Superman robot to misfunction that exists in the fortress of solitude gaurded by a key that can't be picked up by anyone by kryptonians.

It makes not sense and is not well explained.

When he first appears, Sampson is introduced as a time-travelling hero. He knew of Superman's impending demise and was commenting on it because he's a douche. He's meant to represent toxic masculinity to contrast against Superman.
    I understand that. But suddenly we have this prophecy of HErcularian labors that Superman goes through. It is a nice literary reference but it really needed to be made clearer in their interaction

If memory serves, Zibrarro built a rocket to escape Bizarro World, but gave it to Superman instead so he could return to Earth. Bizarro ignited the fuel with his breath.
    Yeah that made NO sense. The character had zero motivation to do that and then the ligting of the rocket (really a rocket is going to break through a black hole's gravity well which is lit with a match like a bottle rocket (with superman attached to the back... who has lost most of his powers and yet survives). And who lit the rocket and why, that made any sense?

It is a huge flaw in the story, IMO.

It seems like a lot of the problems you are having stem from you missing dialogue explaining what's going on. When you read All-Star Superman, were you constantly being distracted by something else or were you in a rush? All Star Superman, like most of Morrison's stuff, is a particularly dense piece of work. It's not something you can read without really focusing on every last detail. There's not a single wasted panel or line of dialogue. Morrison wrote it while his father was dying from cancer I believe and threw everything he had into it to help him deal with the grief. His intention was nothing less than to create a story "worthy of Superman" and I think he absolutely succeeded.
    I am just my normal hyperactive self.

That said, it is not light reading. It's a modern myth that is incredibly dense and challenging at time. I totally understand why some readers are turned off by Morrison's writing. He is not for everyone because he does not write superhero comic books the way most superhero comic book writers do. He tries to elevate the form every time. Sometimes, it's a big swing and a miss like his aborted Authority run, but other times he knocks it out of the park, as he did with All Star Superman.

This can not be heavy reading. If you read it to closely, it starts to show cracks. To enjoy it, you have to suspend a lot of belief and accept inconsistancies and roll with it. It is a fun read. The style matters more than the substance... which is not a knock on the book. That is also true with Washington Irving's Legend of Sleepyhollow and many of the best works in literature.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 09-28-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I reread this recently and now, after having read the Black Label Batman, I am tempted to buy it in yet another format.

What about Superman Vs. the Sphinx, I place my money on Supes all the way, so I guess the real question is, Who is the Unstoppable Force, and who is the Immovable Object?
    I'm pretty sure the Riddle is a metaphor for Superman and Lex. I'm not sure which is which, but I'm not sure it matters either.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Luther from jail gets a Superman robot to misfunction that exists in the fortress of solitude gaurded by a key that can't be picked up by anyone by kryptonians.

It makes not sense and is not well explained.
    It's explained pretty perfectly given that in the issue we first see Lex in jail (in issue 5) he 1. has access to tech and tools. 2. proves that he can break out, have people break in, or break people out literally whenever he wants. 3. shows that he can turn even the most innocent of tools into a device for his advantage (biliobot mark 2 reads moby dick at super high pitches and creates a sonic drill for him).

In reality Morrison spent a whole issue making it more than believable that Lex can hack Superman's robots, but he decides not to spell it out further because he assumes we've all got the point after issue 5.

I understand that. But suddenly we have this prophecy of HErcularian labors that Superman goes through. It is a nice literary reference but it really needed to be made clearer in their interaction
    But why tho? The point in story was to mirror actual myth making in real life (ha, that's an odd sentence) where the importance and myth status of an act is only bestowed in hindsight. So, as we go through the book basically anything Superman does could be considered myth worthy.

Also both you and Bored at 3:00AM are remembering incorrectly. Zibrarro did not build the rocket and give it to Superman. Superman made the plans, built a single shot ion pulse engine himself, and sort of tricked the Bizarros into building him the physical rocket. And it's very likely that the rocket made the trip because everything on Bizarro world is able to withstand the gravity of the underverse. That's why Superman is sweating and complaining about everything getting heavier while Zibrarro walks and talks normally. And in the same issue and the issue before it Morrison has Superman establish that under a red sun and high gravity, flight is the first power to leave him and then invulnerability is the last to go, so that's why he survived that long. And likely through a combination of grit and the last embers of solar power giving him some durability he survived the trip.

Also I'm pretty sure the rocket is lit when after Bizarro 1 lights Le-Roj (Jor-El) on fire right behind where the rocket is being built. You can see the tail next to where Le-Roj is burning. And the reason why it works is in part because Superman had to play by the nonsensical almost cartoonish rules of Bizarro world to survive.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-29-2018 at 08:13 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

That was 150 pages later and it wasn't even clear from the dialog. It doesn't even make sense. Suddenly Luther is
    This can not be heavy reading. If you read it to closely, it starts to show cracks. To enjoy it, you have to suspend a lot of belief and accept inconsistancies and roll with it. It is a fun read. The style matters more than the substance... which is not a knock on the book. That is also true with Washington Irving's Legend of Sleepyhollow and many of the best works in literature.
    I read quickly twice a few years ago. I enoyed it immensely, maybe because it “channelled” so much of the spirit of the Silver Superman that gave me so much enjoyment.

But deep down..I think you have a point..if I’d read it ultra-carefully..a fair portion of it might fall apart. And Grant M’s supporters do tend to tell us that is way his stuff should be read.

I’d have to re-read to make many comments other than that. But I will mention two parts that baffled me:-

1/ What was point of making Quintum/Luthor relationship so opaque through the entire work?

2/ What was point (in “Funeral in Smallville”) of three future Supermen acting in a way that distracted Clark while Pa Kent died? (My own assumption is that for some reason they knew it was a turning point in history..that if they didn’t make sure Pa Kent died, then Clark wouldn’t go on to be Superman. Viewed that way..it might be regarded as a sacrifice that had to be made. But..it all looked “iffy” to me.)
    Last edited by JackDaw; 09-29-2018 at 09:39 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But why tho? The point in story was to mirror actual myth making in real life (ha, that's an odd sentence) where the importance and myth status of an act is only bestowed in hindsight. So, as we go through the book basically anything Superman does could be considered myth worthy.

Also both you and Bored at 3:00AM are remembering incorrectly. Zibrarro did not build the rocket and give it to Superman. Superman made the plans, built a single shot ion pulse engine himself, and sort of tricked the Bizarros into building him the physical rocket. And it's very likely that the rocket made the trip because everything on Bizarro world is able to withstand the gravity of the underverse. That's why Superman is sweating and complaining about everything getting heavier while Zibrarro walks and talks normally. And in the same issue and the issue before it Morrison has Superman establish that under a red sun and high gravity, flight is the first power to leave him and then invulnerability is the last to go, so that's why he survived that long. And likely through a combination of grit and the last embers of solar power giving him some durability he survived the trip.

Also I'm pretty sure the rocket is lit when after Bizarro 1 lights Le-Roj (Jor-El) on fire right behind where the rocket is being built. You can see the tail next to where Le-Roj is burning. And the reason why it works is in part because Superman had to play by the nonsensical almost cartoonish rules of Bizarro world to survive.

With regard to the Bizzarro episode, it is interesting that you found that plausable (within the context of a Superman comic of course) but I found that charpter to be particularly not plausable, from the parts about Jimmy, to the return, and for me, it didn't hold my attention. It just stretched reality too far. I don't even know who those guys are running those experiements.

Keep in mind, that this is all in the context that it was a great book. It really was. But I just find parts of it spotty.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

With regard to the Bizzarro episode, it is interesting that you found that plausable (within the context of a Superman comic of course) but I found that charpter to be particularly not plausable, from the parts about Jimmy, to the return, and for me, it didn't hold my attention. It just stretched reality too far. I don't even know who those guys are running those experiements.

Keep in mind, that this is all in the context that it was a great book. It really was. But I just find parts of it spotty.
    Taste is taste, and I don't begrudge you or anyone else for how they feel.

I do have to ask what more you need to know about the people at PROJECT though? It's run by an eccentric rich guy named Dr. Leo Quintum. It's based on the moon. It's staffed primarily by force grown clones and artificial G-type creatures designed to aspire to one task. Superman trusts them enough to give them ways to protect the Earth from him. Their primary goal is the betterment and advancement of civilization, and they are inspired by Superman.

What more is relevant? What more is reasonable to expound upon in 12 issues of a very tightly written narrative that doesn't at all center around them? Part of the idea is that you look at the world of All Star Superman and feel like it's "lived in" and has wall to wall history adorning it, and you'll never see more than a glimpse of it because you're only just joining that world for one story.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.