Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default List your MCU Directors for the X-Men movies?

Sam Raimi

Damien Chazelle

Ridley Scott

James Mangold

Ron Howard

JJ Abrams

Christopher Nolan

James Cameron

Steven Soderbergh

Brad Bird

Matt Reeves

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

The Wachowskis

How about Tarentino

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    The Wachowskis
    They have not done anything great after The Matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampoozie View Post
    How about Tarentino
    Tarentino for Deadpool and X-Force but we can't take Disney for their word, they will remain R Rated. Disney's X-Men alone will be more Disney than X-Men with tone. That was my dream list, I know most of those directors are realistically going to be impossible since the first thing many of them would love to do is flip the MCU buddy cop formula out of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Sense8 is not for everyone I guess, but it is just perfect when it comes to making a set of characters(from different genders, countries, backgrounds, sexualities) feel like a family and build empathy for all of them. They would kill some emotional parts of the X-Men like the minority metaphor and their connections with each other.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Sense8 was pretty great and an X-Men tv show in anything but name.

MCUXM1
    The Uncanny X-Men
    Gore Verbinski

MCUXM2
    Captain Marvel : Rogue
    ?

MCUXM3
    X-Men Inferno
    Guillermo del Toro

MCUXM4
    AvX
    Denis Villeneuve
    Last edited by CRaymond; 09-26-2018 at 06:37 AM.

Glad you had Brad Bird up there. He is definitely my first choice. He knows how to balance a large ensemble and make interesting use of powers in action sequences. I don't see Wachowski's working well with Marvel. Nor do I see Tarentino working on something he didn't write. Anything could happen I suppose.

Brad Bird

Denis Villeneuve - based on Arrival I would love to see him do a Space X-Men story, or one that played with time travel. I can't say I'm familiar with his action set-pieces, but the man really impressed me with way he told Arrival. It had that old Sci-Fi feel to it.

Matthew Vaughn - I would like to see what him +Marvel Studios could do together. I personally think First Class is overrated, but it was still really good. So I would want to give him another shot, especially with some characters who are more hand to hand combatants to see if he could give us a really cool fight scene like in Kingsmen (church seen)

Edgar Wright - Another one who has really interesting kinetic style that I would love to see, but I don't think he'll be back to work with Marvel.
    Last edited by PsionicHero; 09-26-2018 at 05:22 AM.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    The Wachowskis
    Yes! Their Sense8 was the best use of telepathy and teamwork I've ever seen onscreen, and they handled a sexy cast of diverse characters from all over the world. They would be perfect for X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampoozie View Post
    How about Tarentino
    I would actually love him to do an Outback X-Men trilogy. The Reavers. Genosha. Maybe Inferno. No, that Brood story where the pastor 'exorcises' Logan. So good.

The Russo brothers are my number one pick, though, even though it sounds like they may be done with the MCU after A4. They've done an excellent job of handling many characters with a grace and balance I never thought possible in a single movie. While I had some problems with IW's changes to Thanos's motivation, it was still an excellent film and features so many characters doing so many great things. They can do action, romance, fun, adventure, cosmic, grounded, political, and tragic. Everything you need for X-Men.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Yes! Their Sense8 was the best use of telepathy and teamwork I've ever seen onscreen, and they handled a sexy cast of diverse characters from all over the world. They would be perfect for X-Men.

I would actually love him to do an Outback X-Men trilogy. The Reavers. Genosha. Maybe Inferno. No, that Brood story where the pastor 'exorcises' Logan. So good.

The Russo brothers are my number one pick, though, even though it sounds like they may be done with the MCU after A4. They've done an excellent job of handling many characters with a grace and balance I never thought possible in a single movie. While I had some problems with IW's changes to Thanos's motivation, it was still an excellent film and features so many characters doing so many great things. They can do action, romance, fun, adventure, cosmic, grounded, political, and tragic. Everything you need for X-Men.
    I agree on your and everyone else's take on Sens8. Definitely great at capturing the telepathy/teamwork/diverse cast thing.

I really think Tarantino would do an awesome Outback story as well. That sounds awesome!

I know I said I don't think they'd work with Disney/Marvel well, and I stick to that, but in a dream world they'd be awesome choices.

Whoever they pick, I hope they keep a more serious tone. I don't want a GotG or Ragnorok tone for the X-Men.

Being realistic though, considering Marvel's track record, they will probably go with some sort of lowkey, unknown indie director lol.

I think Fox went too dark and serious. Claremont's X-Men are always fighting for the world that fears and hates them, but they are also a family that plays baseball games and goes out drinking and dancing on occasion. They have personal lives and relationships, both platonic and romantic, between each other. They do laugh and joke and play sometimes. Almost all of that human aspect was lost in the Fox-Men films, and they never gelled as a team, as a family, and barely as characters unto themselves. Ragnarök was a bit too silly(but it was freaking epic when it was epic), and so were aspects of both GoTG films, but I think something along the lines of Winter Soldier/Civil War/Infinity War is a good indicator that the MCU can do the X-Men justice, while still having their characteristic fun. I'm down for both in proper measure.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Oh! I wanted to add to my list:

Alex Garland - Ex Machina and Annihilation. Again, giving me those oldschool Sci-Fi vibes. Movies that made you think.

Ari Aster - Imagine a Brood story line or Inferno or similar horror based arch from the X-Franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I think Fox went too dark and serious. Claremont's X-Men are always fighting for the world that fears and hates them, but they are also a family that plays baseball games and goes out drinking and dancing on occasion. They have personal lives and relationships, both platonic and romantic, between each other. They do laugh and joke and play sometimes. Almost all of that human aspect was lost in the Fox-Men films, and they never gelled as a team, as a family, and barely as characters unto themselves. Ragnarök was a bit too silly(but it was freaking epic when it was epic), and so were aspects of both GoTG films, but I think something along the lines of Winter Soldier/Civil War/Infinity War is a good indicator that the MCU can do the X-Men justice, while still having their characteristic fun. I'm down for both in proper measure.
    Totally. I was thinking of referencing Winter Soldier as the tone I would take with X-Men.

I'd like to see someone fresh and creative who understands the minority experience but also isn't ashamed of the idea of making a fun, superhero movie.

Kelly Fremon Craig (Edge of Seventeen)
    Ava Duverney (Selma, A Wrinkle in Time)
    Justin Simien (Dear White People)
    Cary Fukunaga (Beasts of No Nation, True Detective, Maniac)
    Tom Ford (A Single Man, Nocturnal Animals)
    Benh Zeitlin (Beasts of the Southern Wild)
    Nat Faxon and Jim Rash (The Way Way Back)

Ava DuVernay, Antoine Fuqua, Malcolm D. Lee...