Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Amazing Spider-Man#6

spoilers:
    Vulture is captured by Black Ant and Taskmaster. Meantime Peter and MJ are making out when they are interupted by Fred. Neither MJ or Randy can understand why Peter is so mad at Fred, as he seems like a nice guy. Peter follows Fred to the lair of the Superior Foes where he eavesdrops on them bantering with one another and overhears that Fred may have a plan to destroy Spider-Man. Fred later invites Peter to the bar with no name, where all the super villains are holding a Spider-Man themed quiz night with a Chinese bootleg of the Living Brain. Peter, posing as a villain called "The Liar", ends up being roped into the quiz night and ends up answering the lion's share of the questions, which include answers like Firelord, Dexter Bennet, and Wil'O'The Wisp. Boomerang talks with Mayor Fisk on the phone and declines an oppertunity, which enrages Fisk and he contacts everyone in the bar putting a bounty on Fred's head
    end of spoilers

Funny issue, but I thought Peter was a little too out-of-character considering where he was, but I liked how MJ was kind of more comfortable around Fred than annoyed by him

Funny issue for me personally. Excited for the next issue. Kinda weird that we went back to the old artist but I understand the reasoning for it.

Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

Really enjoyed this issue. Very enjoyable and love the way it sets up the next issue
    L'Enfer !

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    spoilers:
    Vulture is captured by Black Ant and Taskmaster. Meantime Peter and MJ are making out when they are interupted by Fred. Neither MJ or Randy can understand why Peter is so mad at Fred, as he seems like a nice guy. Peter follows Fred to the lair of the Superior Foes where he eavesdrops on them bantering with one another and overhears that Fred may have a plan to destroy Spider-Man. Fred later invites Peter to the bar with no name, where all the super villains are holding a Spider-Man themed quiz night with a Chinese bootleg of the Living Brain. Peter, posing as a villain called "The Liar", ends up being roped into the quiz night and ends up answering the lion's share of the questions, which include answers like Firelord, Dexter Bennet, and Wil'O'The Wisp. Boomerang talks with Mayor Fisk on the phone and declines an oppertunity, which enrages Fisk and he contacts everyone in the bar putting a bounty on Fred's head
    end of spoilers

Funny issue, but I thought Peter was a little too out-of-character considering where he was,
    but I liked how MJ was kind of more comfortable around Fred than annoyed by him
    That's the problem I had with it.

This was fun. Not much to talk about though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Funny issue for me personally. Excited for the next issue.
    Yeah, it was a fun issue with several genuinely amusing moments (loved the deep dive into Spidey trivia) and it moved along the subplot with Taskmaster and Black Ant as well as bringing Fisk back into the book and giving us the background on what Boomerang's been up to during and post Secret Empire.

As for Peter's reaction in the Bar With No Name being possibly out of character, I don't see that at all. He's surrounded by C and D listers so there's no way that he's actually going to be seriously worried for himself in that company and it's not as if he's going to be thirsty to bring them all to justice as they're not doing anything criminal at the moment. Also, he realizes that just hanging out there could possibly give him a lead on something bigger that could actually use his attention.

As for the cover being misleading, re: MJ's reaction. Well, sure, in the actual issue she isn't actually annoyed by Fred but the cover is more misleading in that the issue is barely about Peter and MJ being at home at all. Either way, no big deal. I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed that the entire issue isn't about Peter and MJ sitting on the couch with Fred horning in on their night.

Anyhow, good stuff with Ramos on art managing to not make me miss Ottley too much. Looking forward to seeing how Peter pulls Fred's butt out of the fire next issue.

I must admit I greatly enjoyed this issue. I won't say which part was my favorite as it is under the spoiler tag, but it involved a Q&A of sorts.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'm biased but I really anxious to find out who is paying Taskmaster and Black Ant. are they connected to Bagalia?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I'm biased but I really anxious to find out who is paying Taskmaster and Black Ant. are they connected to Bagalia?
    It was revealed at the end of the last issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    It was revealed at the end of the last issue.
    I want to believe it. But that could be a red herring. Kraven didn't say anything about hiring them. And people are inferring that it's him because of the "game" line. It's likely. But it wasn't conclusive. Conclusive would be Taskmaster talking to a shadowy figure in one scene and ending with Kraven stepping out of the shadows at some point. And this is just one subplot apparently. There's a bandaged figure collecting payment from spider-man villains. He went after Mysterio (a member of the Sinister Six). And he sent Janice Lincoln (a member of the Sinister Six) to aid him. Now Taskmaster is going after Vulture. And Kraven is involved? Is all of it connected? How do you know that Kraven isn't working for the rag demon guy? Isn't Kraven, like Mysterio, back from the dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I want to believe it. But that could be a red herring. Kraven didn't say anything about hiring them. And people are inferring that it's him because of the "game" line. It's likely. But it wasn't conclusive. Conclusive would be Taskmaster talking to a shadowy figure in one scene and ending with Kraven stepping out of the shadows at some point. And this is just one subplot apparently. There's a bandaged figure collecting payment from spider-man villains. He went after Mysterio (a member of the Sinister Six). And he sent Janice Lincoln (a member of the Sinister Six) to aid him. Now Taskmaster is going after Vulture. And Kraven is involved? Is all of it connected? How do you know that Kraven isn't working for the rag demon guy? Isn't Kraven, like Mysterio, back from the dead?
    The Recap page confirms it's Kraven paying them: "Kraven the Hunter (with help from Taskmaster and Black Ant) is up to something strange that isn't just hurting Spider-Man."

Considering Kraven is another person who came back to life after being definitively dead, maybe we'll find out he also made a deal with the rag demon and he's doing this for him, or possibly they're both working completely separate games. Either way, Taskmaster & Black Ant are helping Kraven, the what and why we just don't know yet.

This comic is becoming one of the best ones out there. I actually saved this one to read last, and I wasn't disappointed. Cannot wait to read many more issues by this writer. 4.7 out of 5 for me.
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    This comic is becoming one of the best ones out there. I actually saved this one to read last, and I wasn't disappointed. Cannot wait to read many more issues by this writer. 4.7 out of 5 for me.
    This is at the top of my read list every time I get it. Spencer must love a variety of villains. I do too. I want to see more of the SFOS. Fred has been a great so far. This guy pulls more crap than anyone.

Really fun issue and an enjoyable read but felt just a little light. Certainly felt the most like Spencer's "Superior Foes" run and not just because of their 3-page cameo. Maybe it's because there was no focus on the new mystery villain this time out nor any supporting cast beyond Randy and MJ; anyway, still a very good read and Spencer is certainly creating a solid run early on here.

PS---Not that it should matter, and I know this was question was raised during the Superior Foes run, but when/why has Herman Schultz (The Shocker) become an African-Amercian man? It's something that makes no sense and is so strangely stark that it takes one out of the story----feels like I missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Really fun issue and an enjoyable read but felt just a little light. Certainly felt the most like Spencer's "Superior Foes" run and not just because of their 3-page cameo. Maybe it's because there was no focus on the new mystery villain this time out nor any supporting cast beyond Randy and MJ; anyway, still a very good read and Spencer is certainly creating a solid run early on here.

PS---Not that it should matter, and I know this was question was raised during the Superior Foes run, but when/why has Herman Schultz (The Shocker) become an African-Amercian man? It's something that makes no sense and is so strangely stark that it takes one out of the story----feels like I missed something.
    he's not a black man. read the Superior Foes of Spider-man series. he just has a tan. that's the color his skin turns when he tans.