Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So the universal praise for this issue, combined with the tepid sales and relatively few users here commenting on it, kinda supports the theory that the only time people are attracted to a Spidey title in great numbers is if it has the "Amazing Spider-Man" title on it. This was exactly Marvel's point when they cancelled the satellite titles and published ASM thrice-monthly back at the start of the BND era----I wonder what, if anything, can make a satellite title truly resonate with fans?

There have certainly been times when the creative teams were as good, and arguably better, than what we have gotten on the flagship title so I don't know what the answer would be.

Astonishing Member

People are missing out on an instant classic.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    So the universal praise for this issue, combined with the tepid sales and relatively few users here commenting on it, kinda supports the theory that the only time people are attracted to a Spidey title in great numbers is if it has the "Amazing Spider-Man" title on it. This was exactly Marvel's point when they cancelled the satellite titles and published ASM thrice-monthly back at the start of the BND era----I wonder what, if anything, can make a satellite title truly resonate with fans?

There have certainly been times when the creative teams were as good, and arguably better, than what we have gotten on the flagship title so I don't know what the answer would be.
    Short answer: nothing can/will be done.

Satellite books today are aimed at the fan that will buy anything of that character (Spider-man in this case), whether its good or not. It's rare for the fan to buy a satellite that is not also buying the main title. The few that buy satellite and not the main are typically doing so to make a "point".

For the group of fans that pretty much only want the main, because that's where "stuff matters", has to be convinced to add on a satellite. Comics aren't cheap and aren't the only source of entertainment competing for dollars.

I'm in the 2nd group. I got "convinced" to buy into a new Peter Parker title, because my nostalgia for the Peter Parker, the Spectacular kicked in, so much so that I decided to commit to a prepaid subscription. If not for that, I would had dropped the book a while back, as it didn't live up to my expectations.

It will be a while before I try another satellite (no Friendly Neighborhood for me, thanks, lol!).

Marvel is just doing all it can to get as much business out of the same pot of fans. If you are a die-hard fanatic, you get most things and if you're casual, you pick and choose.

Short of reducing price for titles (not happening) and/or bringing in significantly more fans (not likely), nothing to be done.

The business model is to get as much as you can for about 12-24 months (where most of the profit comes from that new #1), cancel and repeat.

To be fair, a problem with this book is that it had a mixed reputation. This one issue was very well-regarded. Some haven't been.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spider-Man has well defined flagship title versus satellite titles. Maybe thats a marketing thing? Certainly the satellite titles seem not to get the same kind of attention, as far as artists and editorial. The Stern era in Spectacular maybe being a notable exception/anomaly.

Other franchises don't really have the problem exactly. For Batman, is the flagship title Detective Comics or is it Batman? Or something else. Is it Action Comics or Superman for Supes? We've seen times when a satellite title for those franchises sells best - like when Snyder was doing All Star Batman.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    To be fair, a problem with this book is that it had a mixed reputation. This one issue was very well-regarded. Some haven't been.
    It started off terrible. I almost gave up on it myself. The first three issues are truly bad, and that's enough to turn off most people.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    The first three issues are truly bad, and that's enough to turn off most people.
    That's what I normally do.

So I re-read the issue last nite and wanted to bump this thread with a different thought: this story was truly excellent (and his art was also very good and fit this tale; don't know how he would do on a real action issue but that's not my point) so perhaps Marvel needs to bring back an anthology title for Spidey. Stories such as these are really perfect for that format and there really isn't one these days in the Spidey-verse outside of the odd issue such as this or perhaps a backup in an anniversary issue.

Both Webspinners and Tangled Web were forums for rotating creative teams to tell arcs,usually of different tones, out of continuity. And the second volume of Web of Spiderman was meant to be much the same.

I don't think any of those titles were big sellers but I would imagine it's a handy place to collect and print stories such as this. I am always on board for something like this and the title doesn't even need to me monthly; a bi-monthly or even quarterly extra-sized format might work. What do you think?

So the universal praise for this issue, combined with the tepid sales and relatively few users here commenting on it, kinda supports the theory that the only time people are attracted to a Spidey title in great numbers is if it has the "Amazing Spider-Man" title on it.
    Certainly not so in the early-mid 90s.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Certainly not so in the early-mid 90s.
    But EVERYTHING was selling then; that was the bubble/speculator era, not a good or fair example.