Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I think Norm Breyfogle defined Batman's look in the comics for the 1990s.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

I had the chance of meeting him six years ago and he was one of the kindest men I've ever met, and I'm lucky enough to have one of the few Red Hood pictures he drew. Rest in Peace.

I stared in disbelief at the subject heading for this thread.

Practically grew up reading comics he drew.

Two of my favourites:

Bruce Lee fighting Batman
    Brotherhood of the Bat

His work will long be remembered.

My all-time favorite artist. I met him many years ago at the Motor City Comic-Con. He signed Batman #465 for me, and I still have it. Such a loss.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Too young.
    Thanks Mr Breyfogle for inspiring and entertaining us.

RIP. He was a really distinctive artist, and his style suited Batman so well.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

BANNED

Such a terrible, terrible shame. Lost 'waaaaaayyyy too young. I always loved his artwork.

Breyfogle and Aparo are my definitive Batman artists. One of the first Batman issues I picked up as a child was Detective Comics 602. I was enthralled by the six-armed Demon preparing to chop Batman in half...such a beautiful cover.

BANNED

The only artist who topped the quintessential Batman from Aparo in my mind. His Batman is unique, nobody else does it.

Coincidently, it`s a damn shame that unlike Aparo, Newton and Nolan, Breygfole never had a run with the Phantom because they all did stronger work on the character to me and the chance to see Norm trying to top his Batman would have been an awesome challenge.

R.I.P to the Anarchy!

This is just tragic. And someone on the Bleeding Cool comments section said that Mr. Breyfogle couldn't afford healthcare which makes things even more devastating.

RIP

All-New Member

I discovered this sad news on the CBR website last week. The first Batman comic I ever bought was Batman #462. Norm Breyfogle is my favourite Batman artist. My other favourites are Jim Aparo, Kelley Jones and Mikel Janin. But Norm Breyfogle is far far my favourite Batman artist and will remain ever so.

My thoughts are with Norm's family, friends and former collaborators.

When I read the article on CBR is became apparent that the comics industry does not seem to support the artists that ultimately contribute to the legacy of the characters they draw and the artform that we all enjoy. Perhaps the major publishers should be establishing funds to support the artists that have fallen on hard times. There is no excuse for not doing this as the publishers are owned by parent companies whose other divisions have profited from the incredible talent that has graced the comics industry since pre-World War 2.
    Last edited by TheFalcon72; 10-02-2018 at 03:34 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

BANNED

Oh, what could have been.

qibvjtyzkx_m.jpg.jpg

Norm's sister posted this on his Facebook page:

Greetings to the friends and fans of Norm Breyfogle.

Kevin and I want to express deep appreciation for the support of his friends, associates, and fans who are mourning the loss of our brother, friend, and champion. We also appreciate your patience as we deal with this immense loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you throughout this period, just as Norm’s were always with you.

To catch you up on what has been going on, Norm was cremated on Sunday September 30 in Lake Linden Michigan. We are making preparations for a celebration of Norm’s life on October 27 from 1 to 3 p.m. at Erickson Crowley Peterson Funeral Home in Calumet, Michigan. For those who cannot attend, we are looking into the possibility of sharing part of the celebration through a Facebook Live broadcast.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations for a memorial to Norm’s life and achievements at Houghton Cemetery in Houghton, Mi, and to cover costs of preserving his art.
    https://www.gofundme.com/kt782j-arti...e-memor…

Thank you from Norm’s sister and brother

Penny Breyfogle Duncan

P.S.

Some additional notes to address some of your questions. Norm died of heart failure related to his stroke. Also, please be careful of information, requests, and announcements that do not come from immediate members of Norm’s family. As we have additional information, Kevin and I will connect with you through Norm’s Facebook page, which are preparing to memorialize.

-----
    Note about the image. A glass plaque of Norm's signature that was on his drawing desk, placed on top of a self-portrait found in his studio.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    This is just tragic. And someone on the Bleeding Cool comments section said that Mr. Breyfogle couldn't afford healthcare which makes things even more devastating.

RIP
    How many times have we seen this? The companies kicking their REAL talent to the curb while showering millions on the "hot" newcomers? It even happened to Jack Kirby. The companies should return the original artwork to the artists, and start proper 401k's for them. They should have health, dental, and vision care.