Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    ...and, he's Barry's friend. It would only be fitting that he'd want to make things right for his buddy and many others.

Do you remember the early days of CBR when members used to moot that Parallax Hal was in the right in ZERO HOUR, and that the heroes were wrong for thwarting him?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I still think that.

And I don't really like Hal Jordan.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    You've misunderstood me. There was no way to restore the original history in which Nora Allen wasn't murdered and her husband was framed for it.
    On a related note, Bored, I was thinking...even in the FLASHPOINT timeline wherein Nora wasn't murdered: Henry still wasn't a part of Barry's childhood in that scenario. The true blue classic original Silver/Bronze Age history that had BOTH Allens alive, well, and free (even ultimately outliving Barry) really was buried improbably deep.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

...and, he's Barry's friend. It would only be fitting that he'd want to make things right for his buddy and many others.

Do you remember the early days of CBR when members used to moot that Parallax Hal was in the right in ZERO HOUR, and that the heroes were wrong for thwarting him?

Ha! Yes, comics fans have an unstoppable knack for twisting themselves in knots to justify how characters like either like or hate are perfectly justified or totally guilty of the various crummy stories they've been a part of.

On a related note, Bored, I was thinking...even in the FLASHPOINT timeline wherein Nora wasn't murdered: Henry still wasn't a part of Barry's childhood in that scenario. The true blue classic original Silver/Bronze Age history that had BOTH Allens alive, well, and free (even ultimately outliving Barry) really was buried improbably deep.

While I think the murdered mom/framed dad backstory is here to stay for the foreseeable future because it's proven to be a very effective hook for new fans of the character despite the dislike older fans have for it, I think it's very likely that Barry will Flash Fact his way around it somehow in order to give his mom and dad a happy ending, perhaps in the far future to help raise the Tornado Twins, Bart Allen and XS. That'd be a nice way to put a bow on the idea so that Barry can finally move on, but still retain that part of his backstory (because he'd still have the memories of both versions of his history).

Obviously, some fans wouldn't be satisfied by this, because there's always a small segment of hardcore fans who will never be satisfied, but I think that might help bridge the gap that now exists between a lot of old and new Flash fans.

While I think the murdered mom/framed dad backstory is here to stay for the foreseeable future because it's proven to be a very effective hook for new fans of the character despite the dislike older fans have for it, I think it's very likely that Barry will Flash Fact his way around it somehow in order to give his mom and dad a happy ending, perhaps in the far future to help raise the Tornado Twins, Bart Allen and XS. That'd be a nice way to put a bow on the idea so that Barry can finally move on, but still retain that part of his backstory (because he'd still have the memories of both versions of his history).

Obviously, some fans wouldn't be satisfied by this, because there's always a small segment of hardcore fans who will never be satisfied, but I think that might help bridge the gap that now exists between a lot of old and new Flash fans.
    I think the TV show was really the only place that could make the "dead mom, imprisoned father" narrative really work but even that show started to get really bogged down in drama and nonsensical time-travelling when they finally adapted Flashpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the TV show was really the only place that could make the "dead mom, imprisoned father" narrative really work but even that show started to get really bogged down in drama and nonsensical time-travelling when they finally adapted Flashpoint.
    I would agree. It's a great starting point for the character that tips its hat to the original setup of Barry's happy childhood being raised by Nora & Henry, but giving it a compelling tragic sci-fi twist. However, it seems that Williamson understands that, much like Wally's subconscious desire to never surpass Barry, the tragedy of Barry Allen is holding back the character from reaching his full potential.

It should be noted that most of Wally West's best stories came after he'd overcome his fear of replacing Barry. It's entirely possible the same will be true of Barry Allen once he overcomes what Thawne did to his parents.

I would agree. It's a great starting point for the character that tips its hat to the original setup of Barry's happy childhood being raised by Nora & Henry, but giving it a compelling tragic sci-fi twist. However, it seems that Williamson understands that, much like Wally's subconscious desire to never surpass Barry, the tragedy of Barry Allen is holding back the character from reaching his full potential.

It should be noted that most of Wally West's best stories came after he'd overcome his fear of replacing Barry. It's entirely possible the same will be true of Barry Allen once he overcomes what Thawne did to his parents.
    Honestly I don't think there's much of a future for a Barry Allen who seems so defined by his dead mom.

That just seems pretty antithetical to who The Flash is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly I don't think there's much of a future for a Barry Allen who seems so defined by his dead mom.

That just seems pretty antithetical to who The Flash is.
    Geoff Johns has made many great, great creative choices over the years, but saddling Barry Allen with the dead mother trope isn't one of them. It was a pretty serious misstep.

Geoff Johns has made many great, great creative choices over the years, but saddling Barry Allen with the dead mother trope isn't one of them. It was a pretty serious misstep.

I think there have been some indications that he's not as happy about Flash: Rebirth as his other stories, but considering how much the "dead mom, imprisoned dad" idea keeps getting used in other media, I doubt he recognizes that as part of the problem.

Astonishing Member

...wasn't he? He was trying to essentially undo Crisis on Infinite Earths as far as readers were shown.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    ...wasn't he? He was trying to essentially undo Crisis on Infinite Earths as far as readers were shown.
    About half the fans at the forum twenty-plus years ago thought so, and though I was on the fence at the time, I've come around to mostly agreeing.

Don't worry, Barry will soon be killed off by DiDio so that Jay Garrick can be the main Flash again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Don't worry, Barry will soon be killed off by DiDio so that Jay Garrick can be the main Flash again.
    Ironically, it might be one of the few things that would reunify the feuding Barry and Wally fan factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    But which "Jay" will DiDio be trying to shove down our throats then? The version of Jay who looked like he peed in his costume?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But which "Jay" will DiDio be trying to shove down our throats then? The version of Jay who looked like he peed in his costume?

Peeing in your own costume is unfairly stigmatized! It's been a longstanding tradition of the superhero genre since Joel Shumacher first zipped Val Kilmer into his rubber gimp suit back in the early '90s!