Page 44 of 182 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Ooh, Gary Seven procedural! And DS9 Mirror Universe! Woo, you have the best ideas.

I've been waiting for them to make a WB style Trek show full of hot young people called Starfleet Academy, all about a bunch of cadets up to shenanigans on the campus (and surrounding space, on various training assignments). Or one about Admirals and politicians hobnobbing and scheming at the highest levels of UP intrigue, in the style of those Adama and President Rosalyn bits in the last Battlestar remake.
    Assignment Earth was intended as a backdoor pilot but ultimately never got made. Starfleet Academy of course has been suggested as a spin-off for years; it was originally intended to be Star Trek VI (and we *sort of* got it with the 09 remake). Of course there's also been many video games, novels and comics with cadets but never any TV show.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Redemption is kind of interesting in that it kind of featured Wu involved in the new park; something we eventually saw with the Jurassic World series.
    Yeah, it's pretty interesting how many ideas from the new movies were also used in the books. The Topps comics had raptors being trained, secret genetic experiments being performed under the table, dinosaurs escaping to the mainland and staying there. There were a couple of story arcs featuring characters who really seemed a lot like Franklin and Zia from Fallen Kingdom. IDW also did a bit with dinosaurs on the mainland and, as noted Redemption had another park being built, with Wu involved.

In that story, he was basically a glorified extra and was killed off early on. Quite a few other movie characters did appear in it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of liked the annual, which if I remember correctly featured a Mexican biker gang battling a pack of Dilophosaurs.
    That was one story in it. The other involves an investor and his young daughter seeing an incomplete park, while the staff try to keep order when the dinos start mysteriously running amuck. Wasn't overly fond of that previous one, but it was an interesting concept and did stand on its own without movie characters.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    I'd probably watch it.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I'd probably watch it.
    I've seen the cast members online at various conventions, etc. and it's unfortunate that:
    1) It seemed that, as fun and whacky as a lot of the cast members were, that there seemed to be a bit of a "boys club" clique that dominated the feel onset.
    2) The tension between Mulgrew and Ryan was palpable because of how much the showrunners had 7 of 9 take over the show and made the whole experience less than ideal for many.

That's been my take-away, so I hope the documentary addresses these issues - the latter one especially, rather than gloss over it.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 03-02-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    I'm in, as longs they don't whitewash the drama behind the scenes. That show as more interesting behind the camera than in front of it.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I've seen the cast members online at various conventions, etc. and it's unfortunate that:
    1) It seemed that, as fun and whacky as a lot of the cast members were, that there seemed to be a bit of a "boys club" clique that dominated the feel onset.
    2) The tension between Mulgrew and Ryan was palpable because of how much the showrunners had 7 of 9 take over the show and made the whole experience less than ideal for many.

That's been my take-away, so I hope the documentary addresses these issues - the latter one especially, rather than gloss over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I'm in, as longs they don't whitewash the drama behind the scenes. That show as more interesting behind the camera than in front of it.
    Agreed 100%.

It's been long enough that they should be able to talk about this stuff openly, and as far as I know Mulgrew and Ryan have reconciled whatever hard feelings there were back then.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Speaking of the comics, I've been reading some of the Gold Key ones. While they ocassionally get the main three actor's likeness and the Enterprise design right, the bridge is all over the place, Kirk's shirt is green all the time and it's not the alternate one he wears in some episodes (Seems like the colorist or artist got them confused), and Spock literally destroys an entire planet.

It did kind of anticipate the Abrams stuff having the ship in the atmosphere though....

BANNED

Picard is a trainwreck imo.

You're not alone. It's various flaws have been discussed in the Picard thread.

I don't think it's a trainwreck, but it could be better, and Picard deserved better.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Agreed 100%.

It's been long enough that they should be able to talk about this stuff openly, and as far as I know Mulgrew and Ryan have reconciled whatever hard feelings there were back then.
    There is something of value, too, in just seeing Mulgrew and Ryan talk about their reconciliation as well, just as much as the drama.

As much as I loved the DS9 doc, I'm surprised more wasn't said about Dorn's own friction with the crew, but I was happy to see how it smoothed over as time went on.

Six episodes in and I'm still loving Picard.

Which made me finally give Discovery a try. I only avoided it til now because I didn't have CBS streaming. Three episodes in and I'm loving it. Confused as hell as how it works in continuity given the changes to the Klingons and the spore drive but otherwise this show is amazing. I'm aware of spoilers as I know the mirror universe shows up, Spock shows up, and they get flung into the future in season 2 but nonetheless I'm excited to see where this goes.

I'm guessing the spore drive is ultimately abandoned and classified as being too dangerous since they've technically lost the two ships with it on.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Six episodes in and I'm still loving Picard.

Which made me finally give Discovery a try. I only avoided it til now because I didn't have CBS streaming. Three episodes in and I'm loving it. Confused as hell as how it works in continuity given the changes to the Klingons and the spore drive but otherwise this show is amazing. I'm aware of spoilers as I know the mirror universe shows up, Spock shows up, and they get flung into the future in season 2 but nonetheless I'm excited to see where this goes.
    Frankly, I'd give the look of the Klingons here as much thought as the look of the Klingons in TMP -- that is, close to nil.

I enjoyed the Enterprise episodes trying to clear it up but I do feel like at some point it got too convoluted all to cater to Trekkies. It was pretty unnecessary. And of course, this isn't for naught, but the first episode of Picard showed that vintage photo of Classic TNG Worf, so they still exist. Maybe Qonos has a north?

For some reason, though, I do like that Discovery's Klingons emphasized the flaps above the nostrils, expanding what was there in the TMP/TNG. Don't ask why I paid attention to that.

And in Season 2, once the Klingons get hair, they look much closer to the TMP/TNG design.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I never got the hate the new Klingon design got, I mean I liked the look they got in latter seasons of TNG and then DS9 but before that they weren't consistently portrayed. In the original series they sometimes Asiatic skin tones...and other times they were just white guys with funny eyebrows. And then they got ridges in the motion picture and in subsequent films the ridges would grow and shrink in prominence. And even in the early seasons of TNG Worf's ridges changed often as they worked on their makeup techniques...so why not change again?