Page 127 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137177 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 2736

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I would love to see a show with The Enterprise C. We know how it ends but it would be fun t see or at least read about some of their adventures.

Isnt that the only enterprise that has not been explored. Because I thought there were some Enterprise B books.
    Never really explored but it's been said the ship launched in 2332 with Garrett in Command meaning she commanded the ship for 12 years to explore before the destruction in 2344.

My ideas for crew.

Black Human Male Executive Officer can be from Earth or a Colony.

Male Xindi Communications Officer either Arboreal or Primate.

Male Andorian Chief of Security/Tactical Officer.

Denobian Female Science Officer.

Non-Binary Human/Deltan hybrid A-Sexual Conn Officer.

Female Vulcan Chief Engineer.

Asian or Hispanic Human Female Chief Medical Officer.

Male Head Nurse Human any ethnicity.

Female Orion Counselor.

Male Tellerite Transporter Chief.

Appearances by Admiral Demora Sulu and Diplomat Curzon Dax.

Top 10... (I cheated by including some 3 parters!)

TOS: Where No Man Has Gone Before, The Corbomite Maneuver, Balance of Terror, The Menagerie part 1 & 2, Space Seed, Operation -- Annihilate!, The Doomsday Machine, The Changeling, Mirror Mirror, The Tholian Web

TNG: Where No One Has Gone Before, Q Who, Tin Man, Best of Both Worlds part 1 & 2 & Family, The Nth Degree, Unification I & II, The Chase, Timescape, Genesis, All Good Things

DS9: Emissary, Vortex, The Jem'Hadar, The Search part I & 2, Defiant, The Die is Cast, Destiny, The Begotten, Call to Arms, Sacrifice of Angels

VOY: Caretaker, Prototype, Deadlock, Scorpion parts 1 & 2 & The Gift, Scientific Method, Year of Hell parts 1 & 2, The Omega Directive, Hope and Fear, Bride of Chaotica!, Endgame

ENT: Fallen Hero, Minefield & Dead Stop, Cease Fire, Future Tense, Regeneration, The Expanse, Twilight, Proving Ground, Azati Prime, In a Mirror Darkly parts 1 & 2

DISCO: An Obol for Charon, Saints of Imperfection, Such Sweet Sorrow part 1 & 2, Die Trying, That Hope Is You part 2, Coming Home

SNW: Strange New Worlds, Children of the Comet, Memento Mori, A Quality of Mercy
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

NX01A like your choices some barely it made off my top 10 like Caretaker for VOY, Minefield and Expanse for ENT, Emissary for DS9, & Tholian Web for TOS.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    In another thread I just mentioned the large time gap between TMP and TWOK and another large time gap has always fascinated me Picard years between his commands of Stargazer and the Enterprise-D. The Stargazer was lost at the "Battle of Maxima" in 2355 and the Enterprise-D didn't launch until 2364 has there been any real exploration of Picard's life during those 9 years without a command?
    I kind of like the idea that there are a lot of roles to play in Starfleet other than starship crew. Picard might have spent some time in a diplomatic (and discrete intelligence) function (analogous to a modern US Embassy Naval Attache), which might be a valuable qualification for a future long-range exploration command. Logistics of and planning for operating an interstellar fleet would be enormous and take a lot of talent. Planning and prioritizing scientific projects would be a big deal. Overseeing R&D for new fleet technology. Defense planning, ship construction oversight, Federation governmental liaison, teaching at the Academy. There are more than enough options to soak up nine years of time if you assume Starfleet is bigger than just its ships.

The idea that starship assignment is an elite and rare privilege has been heavily watered down since Roddenbury's original bible holding that there were only about 12 starships in the fleet.

That would be a fun series or set of books to explore. Star Trek The Next Generation The Lost Years or something.

And if there was that 9 year gap where he was not in command how did he rate the Flag Ship of The Federation when his last command did not end well (The loss of the Stargazer)
    In fairness, Picard did manage to save most of his crew after being almost hopelessly ambushed. Also (as noted above), there are a lot of ways to rebuild a career.

For context, Chester Nimitz ran his first command aground early in his career; a massive setback. Over time, he rebuilt his name to the point of being the flag officer that Roosevelt tapped to take command of Pacific Fleet after Pearl Harbor.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 01-17-2023 at 04:19 PM.

I don't see him not in command of a ship as a negative during that time just interesting.

There was an Inquiry into the Loss of Stargazer and Picard was prosecuted but was found innocent. He then came out of it with a Maneuver named for him.

Also Picard himself might have wanted time off after losing Stargazer he was in command of her for 22 years.

Picard was also investigated into the discrepancies in the ship log and then offered to teach at the academy fairly early on into Riker's tenure as First Officer.

I'm sure his time post Stargazer was noteworthy even sans command.

Picard is a good bloke.

He's proven it on and off the record.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Boisterously Confused

I don't see him not in command of a ship as a negative during that time just interesting.

There was an Inquiry into the Loss of Stargazer and Picard was prosecuted but was found innocent. He then came out of it with a Maneuver named for him.

Also Picard himself might have wanted time off after losing Stargazer he was in command of her for 22 years.
    Tangential. I always thought the five-year mission max for a starship was good idea. Asking a crew to go beyond that when they had the tech to get home (as opposed to generation-ships, or near-lightspeed-time-compressed voyages) seems hard to swallow. Command would be exhausting, ambitious subordinates would get frustrated by career stasis, and how many could we expect to put every relationship on hold for longer than that?

One of the things that made sense of TNG's "on going" mission was that Enterprise-D was designed so it's crew weren't completely leaving their whole lives behind. They kind of quit paying attention to that on deciding saucer separation cost too much story-time and money, and put dependents aboard every SF ship in a way that made far less sense (IMO: Sisko's family should not have been on a single-hulled vessel thrown at The Borg, and yes, I get the budget constraints).

TV wasn't ready for it in 1994 (and certainly not in 1971), but it would have been interesting to see crews changing every 3-5 years. Not in whole, but having some crew leave the cast and be replaced.

Astonishing Member

I watched the first season of Star Trek: Lower Decks and thought it was pretty good. I've also requested Season 1 of Star Trek: Prodigy from the library. Are any of the other recent Star Trek shows good. I know there's Discovery, Picard and Strange New Worlds.

I would like to know in case I have to squeeze them into the length of a Paramount+ free trial.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I watched the first season of Star Trek: Lower Decks and thought it was pretty good. I've also requested Season 1 of Star Trek: Prodigy from the library. Are any of the other recent Star Trek shows good. I know there's Discovery, Picard and Strange New Worlds.

I would like to know in case I have to squeeze them into the length of a Paramount+ free trial.
    The best of current Trek are Lower Decks, Prodigy, and Strange New Worlds. Also, if a TNG fan since it's like a spiritual successor to that era of Trek Orville season 3 called Orville New Horizons was fantastic. It dropped 95% of the comedy and is now a TNG era type show.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post

Strange New Worlds!

Best Trek in a looooong time.

Prodigy is good, too.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

The best of current Trek are Lower Decks, Prodigy, and Strange New Worlds. Also, if a TNG fan since it's like a spiritual successor to that era of Trek Orville season 3 called Orville New Horizons was fantastic. It dropped 95% of the comedy and is now a TNG era type show.
    Thanks to both you and BeastieRunner. My slate of shows to watch has felt a bit narrow lately, so I thought I'd look into the offerings from a familiar brand (I will hopefully look into unfamiliar brands eventually). My dad is a Star Trek fan, so we saw a fair bit of it in my house growing up.

Hmm . . . the local library system doesn't have DVDs of Strange New Worlds. I could wait, because maybe it's a bit too early for them to have acquired them. I could use interlibrary loan to cast a wider net. Or I could try the Paramount+ free trial.

I think someone in one of the Trek threads not too long ago asked about Denise Crosby leaving. Well Connor Trinneer and Dominic Keating Trip and Malcolm from Enterprise have a Youtube channel called Shutttlepod Show where they interview Star Trek actors and people associated with the various Trek shows. Their recent episode they interviewed Denise and of course her leaving came up. She thought as she called it TNG would be ABC type television which means A plots, B plots, and C plots which was the starting trend then. But Gene informed her the show was going to be more traditional to Trek and focus mainly on Picard, Riker, Data, and the planets and aliens the Enterprise encounters. Gene was completely understanding to her disappointment to the format of the show and offered to let her out of her contract which she was grateful for.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I would love to see a show with The Enterprise C. We know how it ends but it would be fun t see or at least read about some of their adventures.

Isnt that the only enterprise that has not been explored. Because I thought there were some Enterprise B books.
    Wouldn't that be the Kicker though....what we know is the official story of "how it ends". I could see a story that tells a narrative that goes another way while the Official Narrative stays in place.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Wouldn't that be the Kicker though....what we know is the official story of "how it ends". I could see a story that tells a narrative that goes another way while the Official Narrative stays in place.
    Rather like SNWs is doing right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I think it would be more enjoyable knowing how the story ends. We see this crew do a very brave thing that has a very lasting impact.

We could see the start of the crew and the adventures of the ship.

The Flaws of the crew, the moments when things didnt go well, and on the other end show some amazing moments with the crew that shows how they died was not their only brave moment, that was not their only defining moment. Make them a ship of relatable heroes that would Rival The Original Enterprise and The Enterprise D.

I think this could work.
    Last edited by babyblob; 01-24-2023 at 05:23 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.