Page 81 of 183 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 2736

Seems to me like this season of Lower Decks is riding pretty strong on portraying Bradward Boimler as highly competent. His mirror universe version caught Mariner immediately and he aced the Borg test even when it was programmed against him

Any thoughts on Shatner heading to space (Well, the atmosphere at least). I'll admit I'm actually a bit worried, due to his age. Technically, he's not the first Trek persona up there; Mae Jemison was a astronaut who had a TNG cameo after her 1992 mission, and Gene and James Doohan also went to space...but as ashes.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Any thoughts on Shatner heading to space (Well, the atmosphere at least). I'll admit I'm actually a bit worried, due to his age. Technically, he's not the first Trek persona up there; Mae Jemison was a astronaut who had a TNG cameo after her 1992 mission, and Gene and James Doohan also went to space...but as ashes.
    This was literally the first thought that crossed my mind when I saw the news. Granted, I'm not a doctor, and would assume that Shatner's own physician had to clear him for this, but still... a 90 year old body is a fragile thing.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I thought that, too, but I'll err on the side of positivity in this case. Plus I'm enjoying the 'we should all dress up as X when Shatner returns from space' memes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I'm guessing that William Shatner had to clear a lot of hurdles and a lot of doctors had to sign off. So I'm definitely looking forward to Captain Kirk finally hitting space for real. Even if it is only for 11 minutes.

In other Trek stuff, I finally got the Star Trek: Lower Decks DVD and I'm enjoying it. Episode five had the funniest line I've ever heard in Star Trek when Boimler refers to his girlfriend's hunky co-worker as a "Captain Kirk sundae with Trip Tucker sprinkle."
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I only caught the end but Shatner was so grateful for the experience. While everyone else was screaming and popping open the champagne, Shatner was humbled. I loved his speech to Bezos

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

As someone who considered him to be my favorite actor of my childhood (the '70s) , I was very moved seeing William Shatner make it into space today.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Yeah i saw that too, the shat in orbit.

It does open the door to a lot of easy jokes i'm not going to make about his ego but it's kinda cool, must have been quite an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    This was literally the first thought that crossed my mind when I saw the news. Granted, I'm not a doctor, and would assume that Shatner's own physician had to clear him for this, but still... a 90 year old body is a fragile thing.
    My gaming group (which just started a Star Trek game) was discussing this before he went up. The general conclusion was that worst case scenario would still be a better death than he was given in Generations...
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    My gaming group (which just started a Star Trek game) was discussing this before he went up. The general conclusion was that worst case scenario would still be a better death than he was given in Generations...
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Yeah, I admit my first thought was his age and health, but then the romantic in me thought that dying in space at 90 would not be the worst way to go.

Ultimate Member

I don't really see the point in these celebrity space missions to begin with. Is it actually leading to any advancements?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I don't really see the point in these celebrity space missions to begin with. Is it actually leading to any advancements?
    The building of the rockets and their tech. Also it creates interest in space exploration and inspires people. Last as a American it really bugs me the country that went to the moon now has to hitch rides to get to the International Space Station. So yeah if it also maybe embarrasses the U.S. into developing a new Rocket, Shuttle, or New Space Vessel I'm all for it.

It's Bezos advertising his latest multi-billion $ endeavour. Taking Captain Kirk to 'space' and bringing Kirk to tears of joy as he hugs you? Seems like shameless promotion to me. The rich space tourists will be flocking now. At least Shatner saw Earth and the heavens from mostly beyond the sky.