Page 34 of 182 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Nice to see so many other big DS9 fans, it was the only Trek show I liked of the second generation of them. I'll look for that documentary.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Nice to see so many other big DS9 fans, it was the only Trek show I liked of the second generation of them. I'll look for that documentary.
    Yep, big Deep Space Nine fan here. The documentary is out on DVD and other formats so it is probably easily accessible every other way too.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture today on the big screen. Still a mediocre at best film.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Yep, big Deep Space Nine fan here. The documentary is out on DVD and other formats so it is probably easily accessible every other way too.
    Need to find that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

DS9 overall had the best cast in my opinion. Nothing will ever top the big 3 of Kirk Spock and McCoy, but with the expanded cast taken into account DS9 comes out ahead by far. The Sisko, Kira, Bashir, Odo, Quark, Jadzia, and even O Brien and Worf were better realized on DS9, to say nothing of Garrik, Dukat, Weyoun.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture today on the big screen. Still a mediocre at best film.
    It's not the worst (that would be The Final Frontier), but it's the most boring.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    DS9 overall had the best cast in my opinion. Nothing will ever top the big 3 of Kirk Spock and McCoy, but with the expanded cast taken into account DS9 comes out ahead by far. The Sisko, Kira, Bashir, Odo, Quark, Jadzia, and even O Brien and Worf were better realized on DS9, to say nothing of Garrik, Dukat, Weyoun.
    Yeah, DS9 Worf is much more realized than TNG Worf by a long shot.

I was watching a youtube video about the worst supporting characters in Trek, and a good chunk (maybe even a majority) came from DS9. But likewise so was the list of best characters. It then dawned upon me that DS9 really could afford to have both simply because it had such a large supporting cast compared to the other shows -- it was so nice to have that variety that can even allow for both the best and the worst to be on the same show. And of course, even the worst characters had the best to work with. A rising tide lifts all ships.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Yeah, DS9 Worf is much more realized than TNG Worf by a long shot.

I was watching a youtube video about the worst supporting characters in Trek, and a good chunk (maybe even a majority) came from DS9. But likewise so was the list of best characters. It then dawned upon me that DS9 really could afford to have both simply because it had such a large supporting cast compared to the other shows -- it was so nice to have that variety that can even allow for both the best and the worst to be on the same show. And of course, even the worst characters had the best to work with. A rising tide lifts all ships.
    It really benefitted from the stationary setting. (Pun intended.) Instead of warping away from the guest-stars of the current episode at many times the speed of light 45 minutes after we meet them, they got recurring roles, and we got to learn a hell of a lot more about Bajoran culture or non-Starfleet/Federation people like the Ferengi than we ever would have in a show set on a Federation ship. Instead of having a situation where we don't even know the names of the people who work the night shift on the Enterprise, other than 'not-Geordi' and 'not-Riker' and 'not-Worf,' we can have episodes with meaningful focus on the bartenders brothers wife, Leeta, who was in like, five episodes, which is four more than if she'd been the planetary governor of some world that the Enterprise was never going back to again...

Plus I found Gul Dukat a far more interesting recurring adversary than Q, who just kind of annoyed me. But that's personal taste, and lots of people seemed to love Q.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It really benefitted from the stationary setting. (Pun intended.) Instead of warping away from the guest-stars of the current episode at many times the speed of light 45 minutes after we meet them, they got recurring roles, and we got to learn a hell of a lot more about Bajoran culture or non-Starfleet/Federation people like the Ferengi than we ever would have in a show set on a Federation ship. Instead of having a situation where we don't even know the names of the people who work the night shift on the Enterprise, other than 'not-Geordi' and 'not-Riker' and 'not-Worf,' we can have episodes with meaningful focus on the bartenders brothers wife, Leeta, who was in like, five episodes, which is four more than if she'd been the planetary governor of some world that the Enterprise was never going back to again...

Plus I found Gul Dukat a far more interesting recurring adversary than Q, who just kind of annoyed me. But that's personal taste, and lots of people seemed to love Q.
    Agreed. That reminds me of the other direction in that Voyager really could've benefited from a stronger supporting cast within the ship itself, especially given that they were boxed in. Getting to know more of the former Maquis members or seeing more regular crew members would've helped because, frankly, they're stuck with the same 150 people for the most part. But the most we got were folks like Carey, who disappeared for entire seasons until it came time to kill him off, or Naomi and Icheb, who went well with Seven but were otherwise powerless because they were kids. The lower decks-style episode would've been nice had those characters actually returned. But if the show is focused on only the the main cast, then that means we see them interact with folks that they otherwise don't know or haven't been seen together with despite the relatively small crew. Why should Janeway care about a random ensign's illness if they were just that -- random? It would've gone a long way towards really solidifying, say, Chakotay's leadership style or Janeway's sincere devotion to the crew, or even give Kim a couple more characters closer to his age and rank to speak with.

The ship is supposed to feel tight-knight, but really it felt more like Janeway's inner circle with random redshirts. DS9 often had characters who otherwise had nothing to do with each other, interacting with each other all the same -- Leeta and Sisko have very little reason to interact, other than the fact that their circles overlap, and really that should be enough to see them together. The big fish and little fish sharing several storylines together because they all exist in that same world.

Extraordinary Member

RIP Aron Eisenberg, who played Nog on Deep Space 9.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yeah, I loved Nog. He was young too, hopefully his family is as alright as they can be.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Nog's arc was one of my favorite things about DS9. Truly sad news.

Nog went from one of the most annoying characters to one of the best developed and most fleshed out characters in all of Trek. Eisenberg put a lot (A LOT) of work into Nog's transformation. Love him and his work.

My condolences and best wishes to everyone who knew him.

Yeah, saw that this morning. Condolences to his family.

(Was a good member of the DS9 cast.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Nog went from one of the most annoying characters to one of the best developed and most fleshed out characters in all of Trek. Eisenberg put a lot (A LOT) of work into Nog's transformation. Love him and his work.

My condolences and best wishes to everyone who knew him.
    The episode where Nog lost his leg and then lost himself in holo-suite fantasies was some of the best acting on the show. RIP Aron Eisenberg.