Page 149 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2719

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    Combines some of the elements from Star Trek: The Motion Picture and is darker than the original design. Interiors are vastly different, but improved, I think.
    THanks. That show is on my watch list. Not even sure what the plot on it is other then Spock is in it. But its Star Trek so I am going to check it out.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    THanks. That show is on my watch list. Not even sure what the plot on it is other then Spock is in it. But its Star Trek so I am going to check it out.
    It covers Captain Pike's time as captain. I very much enjoy it. For me, has the best opening episode of ANY of the series.
    Last edited by JT221; 06-01-2023 at 02:24 PM.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

It covers Captain Pike's time as captain. I very much enjoy it. For me, has the best opening episode or ANY of the series.
    Cool Thanks. I thought I heard it was Pike. But I have been trying not to read alot about the show until I am ready to watch it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Plots are kind of 'traditional trek' in many ways-there's some action episodes with them battling other ships, some occasional time travel, the ship and crew getting transformed, communication issues with aliens, a planet with morality that starfleet doesn't agree with but can't really mess with etc.

It does sort of tackle/foreshadow eventual future events bound to happen ( Pike's accident, AMOK TIME, THE FINAL FRONTIER, to name a few).

Also reveals some of Kirk's crew, apart from Spock of course, were on the ship before him.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I am getting Paramount + tomorrow so I can start to watch it. Should I watch Discovery first? Are the two shows linked?

I am getting Paramount + tomorrow so I can start to watch it. Should I watch Discovery first? Are the two shows linked?
    You would only need to watch the second season of Discovery. That introduces what would later spin off into Strange New Worlds.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

My favorite starships are the refit Enterprise NCC 1701, Enterprise NCC 1701-A and the Enterprise NCC 1701-C.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Enterprise NCC 1701-C.
    That is an awesome looking ship.

THe Enterprise C was a great looking ship. I wish they would do a series or a set of books based on the C. We all know how it ends but I would love to see the crew leading up to that.

For those that don't have or don't want to get Paramount+ but want to see Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, Paramount+ is streaming the first season for free on Youtube for a month. Here's the link.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

In case you haven't seen the TOS episode, THE MENAGERIE (Or it's original episode where it gets much of it's footage, the Cage) is also pretty much important.

There is one Enterprise-C novel set during the Lost Era, but I think it kind of got a lot of mixed reviews. Kind of weird that the Enterprise B kind of has arguably more expanded material about it for some reason.

IDW has a brief comic series focusing on the non-series Captains (Well, up to that point) called Captain's log-Sulu, Jellico, and Pike got issues, but instead of Garrett, Harriman got one. A lot of the Harriman stories kind of deal with his responsibility/guilt for Kirk.

If I remember correctly the comic was no different, a lot of it was McCoy evaluating him.

One weird thing about the Enterprise C though, and also seen on the Jack crusher hologram from Family: The weird variation on the movie uniforms-no belts or undershirts.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-01-2023 at 08:12 PM.

I'd only watch it if you're a die hard Trekkie and/or like Mass Effect. It doesn't really get to be like Star Trek as we know it till season 4. Season 2 was excellent when Pike and Spock were around.

I'd recommend SNW, Prodigy, Picard S3(you can easily skip S1 &S2), and Lower Decks over Discovery.

I do enjoy parts of DISCO but it's not the best entry overall.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

It's a bit like the Battlestar Galactica reboot too in a few ways too.

It's a TOS prequel at first dealing with a Klingon war and an experimental starship that warps using fungus (Yep, but actually they kind of make it work) and Spock's foster sister who is accused of mutiny and provoking a war. There's also a subplot involving the mirror universe as well, and Harry Mudd shows up in two episodes. Spock doesn't appear yet but Sarek and Amanda do. The crew includes a mysterious captain (played by Jason Isaacs) a very nervous roommate of Michael's who experiences a lot of character growth, and Michael's old crewmate Saru, an alien who is ultra-sensitive to death, who Michael has to regain the trust of, as well as an engineer/doctor gay couple.

The second season lightens up things considerably and Pike becomes temporary captain of the ship. It also involves Spock who appears to have been driven insane. More links to TOS occur such as a trip to Talos IV and how the Klingon ships changed from their organic shapes in the first season to the familiar "long necked" cruisers of the TOS era, and Section 31 shows up again.

Then something happens which pretty much changes the entire direction of the series.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

You would only need to watch the second season of Discovery. That introduces what would later spin off into Strange New Worlds.
    This. There is scant little you need to know about S1. The biggest is: Why is Pike there?
    Pike is there because the captain of Discovery, Lorca, was revealed to not be good and the ship needed a Field Evaluation or some such, in swoops the Enterprise with Pike.
    The crew you can figure out as frankly not much was explored with them. One of the show issues, no bottle shows that focus on exploring the various crew members in depth. Every moment seems to only and always circle around 4-5 characters.

S2 Disco intro then dive into S1 of SNW
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

My 2 cents

Watch the following DISCO Season 2 episodes the opener Brother (It introduces Pike, Spock, and the Enterprise), New Eden (It's a decent Episode featuring Pike), If Memory Serves and Through the Valley of Shadows (They deal with Pike's Future), & last watch the finale Such Sweet Sorrow if you're interested in learning the fate of Discovery and how it effects Pike and the Enterprise. The rest are IMO Skippable when it comes to SNW and why suffer through them.