Page 67 of 183 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 2736
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Funny thing is Chekhov technically isn't a navigator in the first half of the TOS movie series-he's security/tactical in TMP, then returns to that after the Reliant stint at the end of TWOK to give Khan some torpedo payback, and although he does some navigation in III he also works at Spock and Uhura's stations since they're absent (Scotty navigates in III while Chechov is doing Uhura's job). Also in Into Darkness the Kelvinverse version briefly replaced Scotty.

I admit I'm a little skeptical about this, mainly because this is like the third or fourth time we've had writers and directors announced for the Fourth Abrahmsverse film. First it was the rumored Pine/Hemsworth team-up, then Noah Hawley, the Quarantino thing although that may be seperate etc....
    Y'know, if you watch the first 1.5 seasons of TOS, what station on the Enterprise's bridge does what is a bit ambiguous. Yes, the guys in the front seat steer. The station behind Kirk is communications. Spock tends to do detailed analysis.

However, it's only in the last half of TOS that we explicitly start to get these hard and fast rules about who does what, down to Sulu owning the phasers and Chekov owning the photon torpedoes. They carried that into TNG, but it started to get untenable when they quit having a series regular at Conn.

Seems a bit weird in the movies. In TMP Chekhov has both phasers and torpedos (although we never see the first used of course), but in TWOK although the tactical station is still there and used by Chekhov at the end for torpedos, Sulu has phaser control again.

In TNG it seems they've pretty much given all the weapons back to tactical though. Data's station seems to be kind of a mix of science station and helm.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I wonder with them continuing with the current cast for the new movie if they might bring in a new actress to play Saavik to fill the role that Chekov would have had. I can't see them replacing Anton Yelchin at this point and would more think they would just mention he is on special assignment somewhere instead of recasting the role. Saavik would be a good fill in since she was also a navigator like Chekov.
    Jaylah was fun and her actress just finished up some shows. I would love to see her come back. She'd be a nice all-purpose character like Chekov was. It is nice to see other aliens on the bridge other than yet another Vulcan, IMHO. But Saavik would be fine.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Kind of curious how the Kelvinverse Enterprise-A will look like inside. Abrams's Enterprise often got criticized for using a brewery for some of the ship's interiors, although this did get better in the sequels.

The Enterprise A in the original movies was kind of weird-IV had the bridge pretty much be the standard refit bridge but with "OkudaGrams"; V and VI had fairly distinctive bridges but the corridors and other rooms were obviously just redecorated TNG corridors (Which I think were in turn reused TMP corridors).

Ultimate Member

I always wondered why the Enterprise-A was another Constitution class

It seems that despite the refit they're starting to get phased out at the time of the movies-Even the "A" didn't last long before it got called to be decommissioned and replaced by the B.

Then again in TNG you still have stuff like the Miranda and Oberth still around....(although it's possible these are 'newer' than even the Refit constitutions).

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It seems that despite the refit they're starting to get phased out at the time of the movies-Even the "A" didn't last long before it got called to be decommissioned and replaced by the B.

Then again in TNG you still have stuff like the Miranda and Oberth still around....(although it's possible these are 'newer' than even the Refit constitutions).
    In my head canon, the Constitutions got retired because of some change in a key technology that their hull configurations wouldn't accommodate. Now, that probably won't hold up if you start staring at all the myriad Starfleet vessel types closely, but it silences the question in my head.

Star Trek: Quarantino, a Star Trek movie for the 2020s
    Oops! Must have somehow got the first and last names all melded together in my head and Quarantine.

Ultimate Member

I understand why they were retiring the Constitution, but why'd they give another one to Kirk only to decommission it 5 years later?

Oops! Must have somehow got the first and last names all melded together in my head and Quarantine.
    That's ok, I just thought it was funny

The "fanon" is that the A is just a renamed ship, possibly the Yorktown (Which in earlier TOS drafts was the original Enterprise name). Funny thing is that the Yorktown is one of the ships neutralized by the Whale Probe (Vijay Armitag's cameo), which may explain why it works kind of poorly in V. Got to wonder what happened to the crew though....

In the first DC comics series, they were still publishing stories set after III and couldn't really have the entire comic take place on Vulcan for 2 years so they actually gave Kirk the Excelsior (Spock got transferred to Captain of a science vessel). However by the time Star Trek IV rolled around and it became clear it would start on Vulcan with a still-recovering Spock, they created the "Doomsday bug" storyline which was an interesting reset button (Basically, Kirk and co. disobey Starfleet again to save Spock who is once again amnesiac due to some virus, and flee the Excelsior in the Bird of Prey which they had been using as a secondary craft).

Originally Picard's Stargazer was going to be a constitution class but they decided to go with a new model eventually-they even re-dubbed the episode with a similar class-name (Constellation).

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I can kinda see why the Constitution class was phased out really. They never looked like the most stable of ships compared to the bulkier Excelsior class that replaced them. The Constitution ships always looked like one good hit on a engine support tower and it would blow clean off. Plus the basic setup limited the top speed the ship could even reach safely.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I can kinda see why the Constitution class was phased out really. They never looked like the most stable of ships compared to the bulkier Excelsior class that replaced them. The Constitution ships always looked like one good hit on a engine support tower and it would blow clean off. Plus the basic setup limited the top speed the ship could even reach safely.
    Could have been that long neck between the primary and secondary hulls. That always looked like it was begging to get what happened to it in Beyond. Most of the other designs also didn't feature those similarly long struts between the hull and the nacels.

Boisterously Confused

The "fanon" is that the A is just a renamed ship, possibly the Yorktown (Which in earlier TOS drafts was the original Enterprise name). Funny thing is that the Yorktown is one of the ships neutralized by the Whale Probe (Vijay Armitag's cameo), which may explain why it works kind of poorly in V. Got to wonder what happened to the crew though....
    If the Probe bunged it up bad enough, the refit may have been extensive enough that they transferred most of the crew to other duties rather than have them sit around fallow. We're not canonically told how long passes between the Probe's departure, and Kirk et al.'s exoneration hearing.

Ultimate Member

In the first DC comics series, they were still publishing stories set after III and couldn't really have the entire comic take place on Vulcan for 2 years so they actually gave Kirk the Excelsior (Spock got transferred to Captain of a science vessel). However by the time Star Trek IV rolled around and it became clear it would start on Vulcan with a still-recovering Spock, they created the "Doomsday bug" storyline which was an interesting reset button (Basically, Kirk and co. disobey Starfleet again to save Spock who is once again amnesiac due to some virus, and flee the Excelsior in the Bird of Prey which they had been using as a secondary craft).

Originally Picard's Stargazer was going to be a constitution class but they decided to go with a new model eventually-they even re-dubbed the episode with a similar class-name (Constellation).
    Honestly, I think Enterprise-A could've been an Excelsior class and it would've been cool.

The Constellation was newer so I think it works better as Picard's previous ship

Which Star Trek Shows Are on Paramount+
    https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-shows-on-paramount-plus/