Page 46 of 183 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast

Enterprise also seemed to have some problems with the technology advances. Sure, phasers and transporters weren't refined yet but didn't one of the earliest episodes introduce a non-starfleet holodeck of sorts? (Even enough for a Klingon to say "I can see my house from here!")
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Enterprise also seemed to have some problems with the technology advances. Sure, phasers and transporters weren't refined yet but didn't one of the earliest episodes introduce a non-starfleet holodeck of sorts? (Even enough for a Klingon to say "I can see my house from here!")
    That's the problem with prequels. How do you have communicators that are less sophisticated than TOS, but still at least as sophisticated as a 21st century smart phone?
    Watching television is not an activity.

While I liked ENT my biggest issue with it was naming the ship Enterprise given its visible absence from the Enterprise lineage. They should had named it Excelsior IMO.

Incredible Member

This is pretty cool

Last edited by Styles; 03-10-2020 at 05:20 AM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I just watched DS9: What We Left Behind

The writers outlined a story for a sequel 20 years later.. it sounds phenomenal. What I wouldn't give to see that made into a reality. This sounds better than anything currently released (If you love the current Star Trek, great, but its not doing it for me)

If you haven't seen it, Shout TV has it for free.

Highly Recommended.

Extraordinary Member

Patrick Stewert just tweeted out a gift code for a free month of All Access, but I don't know how to activate it. Does anyone here know?

Sounds like Discovery might get delayed due to Corona. They are finished filming but some of the special effects aren't done.

Like I asked in a different thread with Walking Dead Beyond World, is special effect editing something that require people to be up close and personal or can most of it be done by people working apart at computer screens? I assume the latter.

Now is the best time ever to release new shows to streaming with so many people stuck at home desperate for entertainment and if the editing / effects can be done remotely your keeping your people employed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Like I asked in a different thread with Walking Dead Beyond World, is special effect editing something that require people to be up close and personal or can most of it be done by people working apart at computer screens? I assume the latter.
    I wonder if the delay has as much to do with more admin slowdown than the actual SFX work itself. When something like this hits, it really fleshes out how interconnected all the work within a business can be (and its operational shortcomings).

I'm reminded of how one animator accidentally deleted virtually all of Toy Story 2 from the root folder (roughly 90% of the movie by that point), and the back-up had failed. Luckily one animator, who was working from home due to maternity leave, had a back up on her home PC that was only missing the last couple days' of everyone's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm reminded of how one animator accidentally deleted virtually all of Toy Story 2 from the root folder (roughly 90% of the movie by that point), and the back-up had failed. Luckily one animator, who was working from home due to maternity leave, had a back up on her home PC that was only missing the last couple days' of everyone's work.
    And then that entire story was scrapped upon viewing that version and they had to effectively start from scratch anyhow. The irony.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Wellp, them's the breaks.
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-24-2020 at 03:30 PM.

It wasnt a holodeck as we know it, it was just a large photo effectively that they could stand in.

Ds9 > tng > ent > tos > voy > dis > tas > stp
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    It wasnt a holodeck as we know it, it was just a large photo effectively that they could stand in.
    One of my biggest gripes with Enterprise was just how quickly it was adopting the look of the 24th century shows, rather than the slower progression and build up that a prequel should have. Having a predecessor to the phaser is fine, but if your phase cannon looks like a phaser, sounds like a phaser, and shoots like a phaser, it's a goddamn phaser.

And don't get me started on photon"ic" torpedoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I just watched DS9: What We Left Behind

The writers outlined a story for a sequel 20 years later.. it sounds phenomenal. What I wouldn't give to see that made into a reality. This sounds better than anything currently released (If you love the current Star Trek, great, but its not doing it for me)

If you haven't seen it, Shout TV has it for free.

Highly Recommended.

I also just watched the new DS9 docu, it's free on Tubi.

Very interesting. Especially learning how back then many Trek fans hated or complained about elements of DS9 like the darker tone, and more.. really reminds me of Trek fans now with Discovery and Picard shows. I still haven't seen the new shows, but yeah, not much has changed.

I watched DS9 when it originally aired and loved it. I also loved TNG, TOS and enjoyed Voyager. I guess I wasn't that picky then. I think I'm more picky now. I found the JJ movies alright. Like 1 and 3 fine. I still consider the TOS movies the best.

The Terry Farrel Dax story about leaving DS9 (or been let go) was very murky.. I wonder what the truth really is. I heard she wanted more $$. I really loved her character and her relationship with Sisko and Worf. sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I wonder if the delay has as much to do with more admin slowdown than the actual SFX work itself. When something like this hits, it really fleshes out how interconnected all the work within a business can be (and its operational shortcomings).

I think that's basically the origin story of the bizzare but expensively cast CG movie "Food Fight", except for the last bit.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth