Page 138 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2736

GOOD NEWS.

SNW renewed for Season 3 Season 2 premiere date is June 15.

Lower Decks renewed for Season 5 season 4 premiere is later in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    GOOD NEWS.

SNW renewed for Season 3 Season 2 premiere date is June 15.

Lower Decks renewed for Season 5 season 4 premiere is later in the summer.
    Woot woot! More SNW is always a good thing!

Also the S31 show sounds like it will happen when Yeoh says yes.

And the Legacy show is still rumored to be the C or the F.

but my money is on an F show with Seven, LaForge, Jack, and probably someone meaty like Shaw or one of the surviving PIC characters like Raffi or a TNG person. Maybe Datalore?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Yeah, Picard can pretty much set up an *actual* Next Generation show (The title's always been a bit inaccurate since it's set nearly a century later, although it's the most "storied" ship next to Kirk's at that time.) since I think all the core TNG crew all have kids. Now only the ones featured in Picard now but also Riker's daughter, Soja (Although I think there's also a bit of a way to restore Lal as well), Alexander, even bring back Wesley to meet his half-brother etc.

Maybe even bring in some other characters like Naomi Wildman from Voyager, as she was a friend of Seven's and helped her rediscover her humanity. Although I think the main actress retired and focusing on her music instead. Also would make up for the kind of tasteless death of Icheb.

Funny thing is one of the original ideas for TAS was for the original crew to mentor a younger crew, before the show became a more faithful extension of TOS.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-28-2023 at 06:53 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah, Picard can pretty much set up an *actual* Next Generation show (The title's always been a bit inaccurate since it's set nearly a century later, although it's the most "storied" ship next to Kirk's at that time.) since I think all the core TNG crew all have kids. Now only the ones featured in Picard now but also Riker's daughter, Soja (Although I think there's also a bit of a way to restore Lal as well), Alexander, even bring back Wesley to meet his half-brother etc.
    What could be interesting about that notion would be the switch-ups between parents and kids. Jack is clearly not a 'Starfleet kid', so it would be completely wrong for him to end up slotting into his dad's old captain's role and end up in one of the lower ranks. The chief engineer's kid is the pilot. Deanna and Ryker's kid seems, if anything, either an explorer-archetype who might go into the sciences, or an adventurer-sort who might lean into security (neither leaning towards mom or dad's roles). That would most interest me, how far the apples far from the trees. The most boring, IMO, possibility would be for the kids to grow up and slot perfectly into their parents roles.

That all said, I've long felt that Trek has focused rather a lot on Humans and Vulcans, and I'd love to see some more exploration of Andorian and Tellarite officers, since they are also founding Federation races, as well as more unusual races like the Cardassians, Bynars, Caitains, Deltans, Jem H'dar, random unknown race 'Ex-Borg' (rescued from a cube, probably some Delta quadrant race they assimilated many years ago, might not even have a culture or planet to 'go home' to!), etc.

Given how limited roles can be for Klingon and Ferengi women, I would not be surprised if Starfleet Academy doesn't get *dozens* of applications from frustrated young women of those races, looking to become something more than their male-dominated societies allow. That doesn't mean that there needs to be a dozen Ferengi ladies on the bridge, but seeing one or more of them wandering the decks, or a visitor or new crewman being told, 'That area is off-limits, it's a safety thing. That's the Deltan lounge.' 'Is the atmosphere toxic or something?' 'Uh, the atmosphere in there is certainly something...' could add to the feeling that Starfleet is more than just 98% humans and the odd token alien.

Not all of them have to require extravagant makeup, for that matter. Pick almost a random old episode and it could spawn ideas for a crew-member. Plato's Stepchildren, it's been at least a generation since Kirk visited that world and broke the telekinetic tyranny of it's elites, perhaps a member of that race has applied to and joined Starfleet in the decades since, and uses their (weaker than previous generations) telekinetic abilities in service to the Federation? They looked fully human, as did so many people encountered in various older episodes (like the statuesque amazons of Angel One, one of them might make a fun first officer).

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    What could be interesting about that notion would be the switch-ups between parents and kids. Jack is clearly not a 'Starfleet kid', so it would be completely wrong for him to end up slotting into his dad's old captain's role and end up in one of the lower ranks. The chief engineer's kid is the pilot. Deanna and Ryker's kid seems, if anything, either an explorer-archetype who might go into the sciences, or an adventurer-sort who might lean into security (neither leaning towards mom or dad's roles). That would most interest me, how far the apples far from the trees. The most boring, IMO, possibility would be for the kids to grow up and slot perfectly into their parents roles.
    An ongoing featuring the kids would be difficult to pull off due, as you said, the differences in the kids from their parents. What I'd do, if it were up to me, is to have a single season mini-series called Star Trek: Sins of the Parents. Odds are that in the years Picard and crew had been aboard the Enterprises D and E, they probably screwed up a mission, or thought they pulled it off, but were wrong.

Wesley and Kore Soong gather Kestra Troi-Riker, Alandra La Forge, Alexander Rozhenko, Molly and Kirayoshi O'Brien, and Jack Crusher (or any large enough subset thereof). And yeah, Sela needs to be involved somehow. Obviously for Tasha and Miles to have been involved, the problem would have been sometime in season 1 of TNG and outside of Conspiracy, nothing seems like that big of a deal. But something could be retconned.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

New Star Trek show announced called Starfleet Academy I'm not sure about it as it sounds more like they want to do teen drama set in Star Trek vs a story about Starfleet Academy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...nt-1235363880/
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 03-30-2023 at 12:48 PM.

I was barely interested in Star Trek: 90210 before but knowing it's set in Discovery's 32nd C? Ugh. Now I'm out.
    I really hope it's an 'event miniseries' that I can skip but the whole point of an Academy show is to follow the cadets' progress to graduation.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I was barely interested in Star Trek: 90210 before but knowing it's set in Discovery's 32nd C? Ugh. Now I'm out.
    I really hope it's an 'event miniseries' that I can skip but the whole point of an Academy show is to follow the cadets' progress to graduation.
    I consider 1987 to 2005 the Golden Age of Trek and I give Rick Berman a lot of credit for it. But my favorite show was DS9, and he was very hands off that show and it feels it.

DISCO is the show that feels very hands on for Kurtzman vs the rest and this new show feels like it will be his baby replacing DISCO and I don't think I'll be watching this kid grow up I'll be too busy with their siblings lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    You've got to be kidding me. Why why why would they do that?
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

So the just announced Starfleet Academy show is the spiritual successor to DISCO. I'm guessing there will be the occasional crossover by a few characters or maybe even an episodic event in S2 or 3 to test the mettle of the cadets.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I consider 1987 to 2005 the Golden Age of Trek and I give Rick Berman a lot of credit for it. But my favorite show was DS9, and he was very hands off that show and it feels it.

DISCO is the show that feels very hands on for Kurtzman vs the rest and this new show feels like it will be his baby replacing DISCO and I don't think I'll be watching this kid grow up I'll be too busy with their siblings lol.
    DS9 is my favorite Star Trek show and largely because, after a certain point, Berman was mostly hands off. On the other hand, he would apparently come in and veto certain things, playing it beyond safe. For instance, TOS tackled all sorts of risky social issues. But Berman Trek only tackled things that were totally safe by the time of his stewardship of the show, or beyond safe. He wouldn't deal directly with even the existence of homosexuality, even when other shows had tackled that issue and far more. In a real sense, Star Trek, once a forerunner of tackling social issues, was getting left in the dust.

It's a sad commentary that Discovery is the first Star Trek show to have gay characters without some excuse like being a trill and sidestepping.

Of the new shows, Discovery is the only truly bad show. With Picard, it's been mostly continuity issues although the 2nd season couldn't even make sense just on its own merits.

But Lower Decks and Prodigy are two of the best Treks so far, in spite of one of them being a parody and the other for kids. Strange New Worlds has proven to be one opf my favorite ST shows.

Then again, now that I'm into the third season, the Orville has proven to be the absolute best of all the new "Star Trek" shows. While being a NG show on the surface (Holodecks and such), it feels like it is truly the spiritual successor to TOS, tackling today's social issues in the way TOS tackled the social issues of it's time.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 03-31-2023 at 11:19 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Then again, now that I'm into the third season, the Orville has proven to be the absolute best of all the new "Star Trek" shows. While being a NG show on the surface (Holodecks and such), it feels like it is truly the spiritual successor to TOS, tackling today's social issues in the way TOS tackled the social issues of it's time.
    Wasn't Orville more or less Lower Decks without the perk of being able to be the real deal?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Wasn't Orville more or less Lower Decks without the perk of being able to be the real deal?
    Not at all. I think that’s what Seth sold it as in order to get it greenlit. But especially in Season 2 & 3, it’s not a parody or even a comedy. It’s basically just straight Star Trek but with a bit more humor. They actually do the “examine a social issue through a sci-fi story” far better than any recent actual Trek.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Not at all. I think that’s what Seth sold it as in order to get it greenlit. But especially in Season 2 & 3, it’s not a parody or even a comedy. It’s basically just straight Star Trek but with a bit more humor. They actually do the “examine a social issue through a sci-fi story” far better than any recent actual Trek.
    Exactly. By the second and certainly third season, it doesn't have any more comedy than the kind of quips you might see in Strange New Worlds. What the Orville does have by then is a far, far more intense and direct willingness to tackle genuinely controversial issues than Star Trek has been willing to do for a long time.

Not that ST is doing a bad job nowadays. But the Orville presents humans as having overcome it's past but uses alien species to make statements, such as the Maclons being directly stated, by the Captain and others, to be an ignorant bigoted species that denies people equal rights and respect because of sexual orientation or gender identity- and it does not pull any punches.

The Krill are another example, a species that worships what is obviously, to everyone else but them, a purely nationalistic mythical deity originating in a primitive time in the history of their planet but that they believe is THE deity who is on their side and hence their problems will all be solved and their wars won because they worship him and they are willing to both use him as a chip politically while also being willing to be aggressive and warmongering beyond reason because they know he will assure their victory. Oh yeah, they also engage in insane levels of misinformation and outright lies in their politics to outright making things up to vilify those who oppose them.

It is what TOS would be were it being made today, true Star Trek. If it was literally a Star Trek show, it would arguably be the best ST ever made to date.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    DS9 is my favorite Star Trek show and largely because, after a certain point, Berman was mostly hands off. On the other hand, he would apparently come in and veto certain things, playing it beyond safe. For instance, TOS tackled all sorts of risky social issues. But Berman Trek only tackled things that were totally safe by the time of his stewardship of the show, or beyond safe. He wouldn't deal directly with even the existence of homosexuality, even when other shows had tackled that issue and far more. In a real sense, Star Trek, once a forerunner of tackling social issues, was getting left in the dust.

It's a sad commentary that Discovery is the first Star Trek show to have gay characters without some excuse like being a trill and sidestepping.

Of the new shows, Discovery is the only truly bad show. With Picard, it's been mostly continuity issues although the 2nd season couldn't even make sense just on its own merits.

But Lower Decks and Prodigy are two of the best Treks so far, in spite of one of them being a parody and the other for kids. Strange New Worlds has proven to be one opf my favorite ST shows.

TOS deserves credit for breaking barriers but also gets IMO too much credit also. TOS was no riskier than anything Berman produced. Yes, it added POCs to the cast, but Gene also caved at having a female First Officer. The 2 regular characters who were POC were also little more than extras with lines. They never got episodes that focused on them hell Lt. Kevin Riley was in 2 episodes and we had more backstory on him. Sulu didn't get a 1st name on screen until Undiscovered Country and Uhura not until the Abrams films. Even the famed Interracial kiss wasn't Uhura in a relationship with a white man or something it was aliens forcing Kirk and Uhura to kiss thus the show had an out to not to upset certain viewers.

Berman was working in the era he lived most of the shows in his era were airing when the HIV/AIDS Crisis still a death sentence, the Defense of Marriage Act, and don't ask don't tell the fact is Paramount would have never greenlit an openly gay character as a regular then the only show that might have had a chance was Enterprise and even then, would be iffy. Gay characters were just starting to show up as regulars at the time and the country was still very homophobic in 04 when running for the Senate Barack Obama said he believed marriage was between a man and a woman even in Democrat Stronghold like Illinois Obama felt he had to come out as pro "Traditional" marriage in 04 to get elected.

Thank God at least in the one aspect times have gotten better and LGBTQIA+ characters are more welcomed on shows by the general audience. The current Trek shows, and Orville get to have these characters because again thankfully times have changed but I won't judge past shows for not having those characters because they and Berman were working under a different time and restraints.

TNG, DS9, VOY, & ENT even with their flaws were 4 of the best sci-fi shows ever made and I give Berman credit for helming the franchise during that time.