Page 182 of 183 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183 LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 2736
    Boisterously Confused

Two questions about SNW:
    • Anybody know why they changed the uniforms from the modified TOS look when Pike, et al. were (re)-introduced in DISC?
    • Anybody prefer the previous look to what they used in SNW 1&2?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Two questions about SNW:
    • Anybody know why they changed the uniforms from the modified TOS look when Pike, et al. were (re)-introduced in DISC?
    • Anybody prefer the previous look to what they used in SNW 1&2?
    I honestly like the SNW designs better, but as to why they were changed I have no clue except I can guess going by the designs the SNW ones look simpler and are probably easier to mass produce for all the background characters.

Think uniform consistency in general kind of went out the window more or less in current Trek, although it wasn't exactly super consistent in the TNG/DS9/VOY era either.

The turtleneck outfits would look very silly on modern TV though, even if more true to previous canon. Guess Kirk or starfleet decided to just go turtlenecks that day.

Or even Pike during the Cage, since during his first disastrous Rigel mission people wore the SNW uniforms!

chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I honestly like the SNW designs better, but as to why they were changed I have no clue except I can guess going by the designs the SNW ones look simpler and are probably easier to mass produce for all the background characters.
    I did like the DISC version of the TOS uniforms better, seeing them as a nice compromise between the DISC and TOS designs. But, it's a matter of taste I suppose.

This fan film that came out a few months ago made me think of something we talked about not too long ago about the Constitution Class.

Now they used a Galaxy Class Star Drive as Hanson's Flagship to explain why the set used was the Enterprise's Battle Bridge. Also, there is debate if the Melbourne was an Excelsior or Nebula Class vessel.

But these are the ship classes officially at the Battle of Wolf 359 According to Canon.

Cheyenne Class, Nebula Class, Miranda Class, Constellation Class, Excelsior Class, Freedom Class, New Orleans Class, Ambassador Class, Niagara Class, Constitution Class, Oberth Class, Springfield Class, Challenger Class, & Renaissance Class. You'll see Constitution according to canon there were 2 Constitution Class Ships at the Battle of Wolf 359 also the Stargazer was originally thought to be a Constitution Class Starship it's why Picard had a Silver Constitution Model in his Ready Room until the Battle and then it was replaced with a Yellow Constellation Class Model. So apparently Starfleet was still using some Constitution Class vessels up to the 2360's.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Think uniform consistency in general kind of went out the window more or less in current Trek, although it wasn't exactly super consistent in the TNG/DS9/VOY era either.

The turtleneck outfits would look very silly on modern TV though, even if more true to previous canon. Guess Kirk or starfleet decided to just go turtlenecks that day.

Or even Pike during the Cage, since during his first disastrous Rigel mission people wore the SNW uniforms!

I think that the uniforms get continually tweaked as the shows go on. What is more comfortable to wear? What stays consistent from shot to shot? What is easier to maintain? And what is cheaper to make? Remember in the early TNG episodes, Stewart is constantly pulling on his uniform as the earliest versions had a tendency to ride up.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Probably mentioned this earlier but there were plans to update the uniforms for Generations into something that kind of was a mix between the TNG look and the movie tunic, and also with the uniform's color going all the way to the waist instead of ending with two points (Which I guess were meant to be similar to the Starfleet symbol?)

There uniforms were ditched (Not in time for the action figures though...) but they still decided they needed a more 'different'/alternate look so they just gave them the DS9 outfits (Which were originally intended to be kind of specific to that station I think) which fit awkwardly and became the default look for Voyager as well. Of course TNG and DS9 then switched to the First Contact uniforms a bit later although Voyager stuck with the look.

However, the abandoned Generations look pretty much became the Lower Decks & Prodigy versions of the uniform, the "post-nemesis but before Romolus was destroyed" look I guess.

Then they go back to the shoulders again pretty much for Picard....

Its funny how everyone glosses over and never mentions those "1970s cultist" uniforms from TMP. They were so pajama like, with colors so muted and tranquil and calming. Some of the DISCO uniforms, hilariously, are reminiscent to me.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Discovery briefly uses grey uniforms in season 3 but they're replaced almost immeadiatly by more colorful versions for four.

Some of the TWOK-era uniforms actually used the TMP outfit but modified a bit dyed red and yellow for the cadet/unlisted uniforms mostly worn by extras (although Tom Hardy wears one in a photograph in "Nemesis" as young Picard).

It's also Rand's main look in TVH, so she's basically wearing a modified version of her TMP outfit (Keeps the shoulder things)!.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its funny how everyone glosses over and never mentions those "1970s cultist" uniforms from TMP. They were so pajama like, with colors so muted and tranquil and calming. Some of the DISCO uniforms, hilariously, are reminiscent to me.
    In one of his memoir's, it was from the 90's because I read it around that time he talked about those uniforms apparently, they had a design flaw and when a guy sat it felt like your nuts were in a vice.

Variety article. Includes a pretty big spoiler about Section 31.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/features...oh-1235952301/

There's a pretty cool "the three faces of Spock, Kirk and Uhura" artwork in the middle of the article but for a second I thought Paul Wesley's Kirk was Pike randomly thrown in (The hair, mainly).

There's also a pic from what I'm pretty sure is SNW, which sees Spock? in what looks like a slightly altered version of the "Beekeeper" environmental suit from TOS season 1, but with some details somewhat closer to the "Into Darkness" lava suit..

The EV suit (Which I think goes back to Discovery season 2) they've been using so far also kind of mixed TOS aesthetics with later series, with the vein-like 'tubes' appearing as a chest compartment.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-27-2024 at 01:39 PM.

They need to get rid of Kurtzman and Goldsman and then this franchise can thrive.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Discovery briefly uses grey uniforms in season 3 but they're replaced almost immeadiatly by more colorful versions for four.

Some of the TWOK-era uniforms actually used the TMP outfit but modified a bit dyed red and yellow for the cadet/unlisted uniforms mostly worn by extras (although Tom Hardy wears one in a photograph in "Nemesis" as young Picard).

It's also Rand's main look in TVH, so she's basically wearing a modified version of her TMP outfit (Keeps the shoulder things)!.

The TMP uniforms make sense to me in the context of being landbound on Earth. By definition what happens on Earth in the halls of Starfleet should be less consequential and adventurous (read: less colorful and pulpy) than what happens in space. Makes a nice contrast.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I think the Admiral outfit is actually pretty cool.

Funny thing is the TMP action figures must have had poor references since they gave Spock and Illia versions of it!

A similar looking outfit was also used for the admirals in the Kelvinverse.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Variety article. Includes a pretty big spoiler about Section 31.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/features...oh-1235952301/
    Trekkies/Trekkers this spoilery nugget is buried deep in the article for those curious and not worried about spoilers.
    spoilers:
    I’m on the set of the “Star Trek” TV movie “Section 31,” seated in an opulent nightclub with a view of a brilliant, swirling nebula, watching Yeoh rehearse with director Olatunde Osunsanmi and her castmates. Originally, the project was announced as a TV series centered on Philippa Georgiou, the semi-reformed tyrant Yeoh originated on “Discovery.” But between COVID delays and the phenomenon of “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” there wasn’t room in the veteran actress’s schedule to fit a season of television. Yeoh was undaunted.

“We’d never let go of her,” she says of her character. “I was just blown away by all the different things I could do with her. Honestly, it was like, ‘Let’s just get it done, because I believe in this.’”

A few minutes later, dozens of extras in all manner of outlandish eveningwear file into the club, several of them made up as classic “Star Trek” aliens that fans might be surprised to see in this kind of swanky establishment. But I’m far more distracted by a different discovery: Georgiou is standing with a young Rachel Garrett (Kacey Rohl), a character first introduced on “Next Generation” as the older fearless captain of the USS Enterprise-C.
    end of spoilers

ST_Collage_Variety.jpg
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime