Page 130 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 2736

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    With Lower Decks are there fun little easter eggs/references as well? I think I remember one episode referencing ST: The Motion Picture
    Yes. There's typically a few references to past Trek series/films each episode.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

There is a great podcast on Youtube called The Shuttlepod Show hosted by Dominic Keating and Conner Trinneer (Malcom and Trip from Enterprise) where they have guest on from all the Star Trek shows. They have had guests like Walter Koenig, Michael Dorn, Armin Shimerman, Nana Visitor, Tim Russ,Jeffrey Combs, and many others. It is a really fun podcast especially if your a Trek fan

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    There is a great podcast on Youtube called The Shuttlepod Show hosted by Dominic Keating and Conner Trinneer (Malcom and Trip from Enterprise) where they have guest on from all the Star Trek shows. They have had guests like Walter Koenig, Michael Dorn, Armin Shimerman, Nana Visitor, Tim Russ,Jeffrey Combs, and many others. It is a really fun podcast especially if your a Trek fan
    I second this. it is a great Podcast with some great guests.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Mission Log is another good podcast especially with watching the show with the episode analysis side by side

Also:

ST Generations originally was supposed to have the OG crew meet the NG crew in the prologue but the writers didn't want one of the ships being the bad guy so they cut it to 3 cameos initially wanting it to be Bones and Spock with Kirk but Nimoy wasn't allowed to do a rewrite and didn't like the script and I believe Deforest Kelley was ill at the time. So, while watching it does the scene still work with Scotty and Chekov or does it feel like a gaping hole?
    Last edited by CTTT; 02-06-2023 at 07:12 PM.

With Lower Decks are there fun little easter eggs/references as well? I think I remember one episode referencing ST: The Motion Picture
    There's an entire holodeck episode which lampoons all the movies-crisis point.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Star Trek TNG S05E13 The Masterpiece Society .. This is the Episode where the Enterprise meet an engineered society and in the end some of the people wanted to leave which would cause devastation for that society .. Not a great episode but one of the few episode I thought they should follow the strict adherence to the Prime Directive of non-inteference... Now I get this probably a PIS ... and Riker gave an explanation that they're human so PD does no apply but I call bull on that... They left earth before the formation of the Federation and pretty much gave up their citizenship.. I actually thought they should have left them there and if they want to go, they need to start building their own Starships... but maybe I'm missing something...

My youngest is WAAAAY into Voyager now because of Prodigy. She enjoys reading my DC run of Next Generation and TOS comics when not watching. I was wondering if there were any Voyager comics?

I did a cursory search on Amazon and was hoping for trades. Didn't appear to be any. There were single issues of of recent IDW mini and an collection called Encounters With the Unknown.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 02-24-2023 at 10:43 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    My youngest is WAAAAY into Voyager now because of Prodigy. She enjoys reading my DC run of Next Generation and TOS comics when not watching. I was wondering if there were any Voyager comics?

I did a cursory search on Amazon and was hoping for trades. Didn't appear to be any. There were single issues of of recent IDW mini and an collection called Encounters With the Unknown.

Any ideas?
    Check Wikipedia. They list everything

Mighty Member

So a couple questions:

1. Why was there a 7 year gap (2002-09) b/w Star Trek movies and an even longer gap (2005-17) between shows?

2. What the heck is going on with Star Trek Kelvin 4? Why's it taking so long to get off the ground? Matt Shakman says it's still in development which says absolutely nothing. Development hell is more like it

As far as the movies go from 1979-91 you had six movies and while TNG was going on at the same time, From 1992 to now, there's only been 7 movies, so it went from a stream to more of a trickle.

So a couple questions:

1. Why was there a 7 year gap (2002-09) b/w Star Trek movies and an even longer gap (2005-17) between shows?

2. What the heck is going on with Star Trek Kelvin 4? Why's it taking so long to get off the ground? Matt Shakman says it's still in development which says absolutely nothing. Development hell is more like it

As far as the movies go from 1979-91 you had six movies and while TNG was going on at the same time, From 1992 to now, there's only been 7 movies, so it went from a stream to more of a trickle.
    Basically Nemesis was a bomb and it took years before paramount wanted to invest in another Star Trek film and when they did it was a reboot.

Like Nemesis Beyond which I love didn't do as well as they wanted and justifying cost is now factor and the actors along aren't cheap. The TOS and TNG films from 79 to 91 were mostly done on the cheap even using TNG sets in Star Trek V and IV while First Contact used VOY sets like their Sick Bay this was done because Paramount after TMP understood back then that Star Trek wasn't Star Wars and had more of a niche audience.

As for Star Trek TV it's a little more complicated. Star Trek use to be under one umbrella Paramount which was owned by National Amusement. Paramount up to 2004 or so ran all of Star Trek films and tv VOY was the flagship show for UPN when it launched, and ENT was on the network too. Then in the 90's National Amusement bought CBS and all their subsidiaries including Paramount and CBS were under the Viacom Corporation but by the 00's decided to separate their subsidiaries into independent corporations unconnected to one another. When this was done Paramount and CBS become independent companies who individually answered to National Amusements. Now all tv productions were given to CBS and Les Moonves who ran CBS had no interest in UPN and even less in Star Trek he simply didn't like Sci-Fi. So, he made a deal with WB who had the WB network to merge WB and UPN into the CW network and each would bring their strongest shows to CW while cancelling the rest and ENT was a victim of this. Basically, he allowed WB to pretty much run CW and ignored Trek while Paramount rebooted the films since under the new arrangement, they had the film rights just not the tv rights. But that was until CBS All Access when developing CBS's streaming service Moonves realized he needed IPs and resurrected Trek on tv with Kurtzman. Now recently National Amusements reunited CBS and Paramount under the new company CBSViacom and hence why CBS All Access is now Paramount+.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 02-25-2023 at 04:42 AM.

Also a lot of the movie sequels--and also TNG at points-used the large amount of sets and props from the more expensive TMP, just with different lighting and placement at times. Hence why TWOK's enterprise doesn't look quite as sterile as TMPs despite being pretty much the same thing. TWOK also uses a good chunk of TMP footage for the Enterprise being launched in the movie and some of the other scenes. The scene where Kirk goes to his cabin and talks with David, the shot of the Enterprise is the one from TMP after V'ger dissolves.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Any ideas?
    Marvel used to have a series in the '90 (see here). Looks like only one publisher made trades of the series. The first one seems to be selling for a good price on eBay, but not seeing anything for the second volume.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Prodigy also seems to have some slight influence from Peter David's New Frontier here and there, such as the involvement of Jellico and Rock Tar being Brikar.

There's also the HIVE graphic novel from 2003 which is an interesting one because it has Seven interacting with Picard before she became a major part of his show. Not a huge surprise as one of the writers was Matalas.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-25-2023 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Also a lot of the movie sequels--and also TNG at points-used the large amount of sets and props from the more expensive TMP, just with different lighting and placement at times. Hence why TWOK's enterprise doesn't look quite as sterile as TMPs despite being pretty much the same thing. TWOK also uses a good chunk of TMP footage for the Enterprise being launched in the movie and some of the other scenes. The scene where Kirk goes to his cabin and talks with David, the shot of the Enterprise is the one from TMP after V'ger dissolves.
    Yeah, agree they got a much use as they could out of those sets. I think the most expensive thing created for TWOK was probably the new Uniforms which then were used for all the rest of the TNG films. Speaking of uniforms I just realized the Picard Season 3 uniforms slightly look like the unused uniform idea for Star Trek Generations like a bizarro version of it with the colors swapped.

Unused Generation Design https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.b175d980...pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Picard Season 3 https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIF.60WLTQ...id=ImgDet&rs=1

Also, the Marvel 90's comics Star Trek Early Voyages which were the Pike Era Enterprise and Star Trek Starfleet Academy which was Nog in Starfleet Academy were both excellent and canon in my head canon.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Marvel used to have a series in the '90 (see here). Looks like only one publisher made trades of the series. The first one seems to be selling for a good price on eBay, but not seeing anything for the second volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Prodigy also seems to have some slight influence from Peter David's New Frontier here and there, such as the involvement of Jellico and Rock Tar being Brikar.

There's also the HIVE graphic novel from 2003 which is an interesting one because it has Seven interacting with Picard before she became a major part of his show. Not a huge surprise as one of the writers was Matalas.
    Awesome! Thanks for pointing me in a helpful direction.

EDIT to add: my LCS had both trades from The Marvel run, and I get to fill my two holes in my TNG\TOS DC run ( #60 for both!) ... So we're going down shortly! They also had volume 124, which has the Splashdown mini.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 02-25-2023 at 11:40 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium