Page 134 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 2736

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It just strikes me as a lazy that they went to the '5 year mission' for Uhura. They also apparently named a ship after her as well...how often does that happen?
    We have the USS Archer (three ships from different time periods), the USS Chekov, the USS Cochrane, the Gorkon, the USS Hikaru Sulu, the USS Janeway, and shuttlepod Pike.

So, yeah, it happens a lot. (Also, given that Uhura was a senior staff office on one of the most prolific starships in the fleet's history and played a role in numerous historical events, it's very logical a ship would be named after her.)

I don't see Kirk with a ship named after him. The Picard writers clearly had a weird thing for Uhura going on here...
    Irrelevant.

...(I imagine the ship is probably a named Uhura to honour the actress that passed away).
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

It doesn't help that the 'canonnicity' is because of some background props as well for an abandoned Star Trek short.
    It appeared in "The Star Gazer" [PIC]; it's canon. Also, in the past, ship and class names and registries used in the scrips and reference material will be used if and when one is needed for a line of dialogue (case in point, registry numbers made for the Star Trek Encylopedia were used for the remastering of TOS and the Miranda class -- the official name for the Reliant's design -- has been consistently used on set dressing ever since it was devised for the reference material). Long story short, if and when this ship is called anything in canon, dollars to donuts, it will be called the USS Uhura NCC-90214.

If they had made the Short, with Uhura and a young Picard, I probably would have accepted it or even have Picard mention their relationship in a line of dialogue too. I didn't know this until now because its not shown in a meaningful way in the the show.
    Irrelevant.

It just better if we agree this isn't canon.
    It's better if we just agree that there's no good reason to decanonize it.

You have yet to make a good argument on why it was a mistake to establish that Uhura became a captain and had a ship named after her and everything in canon is not only consistent with the idea, but supports it. Your only argument is that you don't like the idea. That is the question, not whether a canon fact is or is not canon.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

I took the liberty to post my pitch for a Star Trek series...

In the 40th Century, the Federation, begins exploring space by going outer galactic in an attempt to establish a Federation Of United Galaxies.
    The project begins with the Andromeda Galaxy which have approched the Milky Way so close, it now can reached through intergalactic travel.
    They mann the U.S.S Eternity, a Noah Class vessel commanded by captain Anna Martinez. This ship is equipped with a new Modular Transfigurition System which allows the ship to change propulsion modes between Standard Warp Drive, Slipstream and Pathway drives.
    Once they reach the Andromeda Alpha Quantrant though they come across with a new unfathomable nightmare. The Level Three Civilazition known as The Triagulum.
    Will the Federation be able to halt The Triagulum's ultimate plan to merge the two galaxies together?

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/...on_galaxy_ship

The concept of a ship going to another galaxy showed up in early 80's Trek novels, including some of the film adaptations. This was before the late 80s had stricter rules for Trek EU stuff.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm not saying she's incompetent though, just that the character would probably want to be something else like a diplomat or instructor. It just strikes me as a lazy that they went to the '5 year mission' for Uhura. They also apparently named a ship after her as well...how often does that happen? I don't see Kirk with a ship named after him. The Picard writers clearly had a weird thing for Uhura going on here (I imagine the ship is probably a named Uhura to honour the actress that passed away).

It doesn't help that the 'canonnicity' is because of some background props as well for an abandoned Star Trek short. If they had made the Short, with Uhura and a young Picard, I probably would have accepted it or even have Picard mention their relationship in a line of dialogue too. I didn't know this until now because its not shown in a meaningful way in the the show. It just better if we agree this isn't canon.
    There is a whole class of ships named for Kirk in Discovery, which presumes there was a ship named the USS Kirk at some point as the classes are usually named for the first ship of that line.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/...on_galaxy_ship

The concept of a ship going to another galaxy showed up in early 80's Trek novels, including some of the film adaptations. This was before the late 80s had stricter rules for Trek EU stuff.
    Didn't knew that!
    Anyway, a trip to another galaxy is the next logical step to go, especially now in Discovery being in the 32nd Century, most of the galaxy will be explored thanks to the new propulsion systems they being prepared.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 03-07-2023 at 07:44 AM.

Wonder why Spock hasn't gotten a ship named after him yet.

His father got one in Deep Space Nine, although he of course was a famous ambassador.

Especially, as far as the prime universe is concerned he sacrificed himself *twice* to save others.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Wonder why Spock hasn't gotten a ship named after him yet.

His father got one in Deep Space Nine, although he of course was a famous ambassador.

Especially, as far as the prime universe is concerned he sacrificed himself *twice* to save others.
    Probably still salty at him for taking off to Romulus without permission.

Spock probably has some academic things named after him.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

What also caught my attention is the lack of a Picard Class.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    What also caught my attention is the lack of a Picard Class.
    After Picard leaving in a huff over the Romulan Evacuation and his vocal disappointment in Starfleet and Federation I doubt they were running to name anything after him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    After Picard leaving in a huff over the Romulan Evacuation and his vocal disappointment in Starfleet and Federation I doubt they were running to name anything after him.
    Although there have been naval vessels named after people still alive, common sense dictates waiting until the namee is far enough past their period of influence to embarrass themselves and dishonor the naming. The Baseball Hall of fame has a five year waiting period and I'd imagine (or at least hope, that ship naming conventions have at least that amount of caution. Jean Luc certainly was still active within Starfleet and had, as you said, enough controversy to make him unlikely at the time. But Renée Picard was certainly been a suitable person for such an honor.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Odd thought, but I think it would be hilarious if actress Jenny Garth guest-starred in a Star Trek series as a character named Captain Garth, a descendant of Garth of Izar from TOS episode "Whom Gods Destroy." The registry of her ship would be NCC-90210.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Mighty Member

Star Trek related, but am currently subbed to P+ through youtube as I like the interface and video playing better. But I notice the content on the P+ website and youtube are different. ST: Beyond is on the website but on youtube has to be bought separately. Short Treks is on the website also but not on youtube. Very strange. As an aside I'm noticing other content like the M:I movies are missing on youtube as well. My question is why?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Odd thought, but I think it would be hilarious if actress Jenny Garth guest-starred in a Star Trek series as a character named Captain Garth, a descendant of Garth of Izar from TOS episode "Whom Gods Destroy." The registry of her ship would be NCC-90210.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I've been reading Christopher Bennet's Living Memory, a novel mainly focused on the crew between TMP and TWOK.

Although it's of course non-canon it's interesting how Bennet works stuff in from various Trek stuff:

-We see some interesting stuff with the Reliant crew, before of course they wound up dead or exiled.

-Also cameos from Star Trek IV characters such as the Caitian admiral and Joel Randolph, some characters and admirals from TOS and the movies too. Kind of reminds me of how Ex Machina actually fleshed out some of the TMP background characters, such as the Alien Ensign who speaks up for Decker in some versions of the film.

-Uhura's Academy days are described with her sporting very long hair, an obvious reference to Zoe Saldana's Uhura look

-The book also mentions Discovery/SNW and Uhura/Spock working together on Pike's Enterprise. However, the details about her family's space accident are different, makes me wonder if Bennett was working with some older details before SNW.

-Her NOMAD memory loss seems similar to Marvel comics Carol Danvers during part of his history after Rogue-she's got some images and knowledge but has trouble with emotional connections to them.

-Some interesting stuff with Cartwright, including his paranoia, also a reference to the big operations room in Star Trek IV.

-Bennett incorporates some interesting and fairly obscure TMP lore about the Arcturans being a genetically engineered warrior race, and incorporating it into the Federation's ban on such things etc. Read he did the same with the "New Humans" stuff from the TMP novel in a previous one.