Page 179 of 183 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183 LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 2736

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    My money would be on the Venture - the Intrepid is the equivalent of a small patrol craft compared to other vessels of the day. One doesn't make a frigate the flagship unless they don't have anything bigger.
    I've always liked this ship. I'd go with the Venture as the temporary flagship. It's right there in the name. Venture. Enterprise. :P Plus it was commanded by one Admiral Hastur, and it also had the best on screen showing of any Galaxy class not named Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Are there any books or stories that show what The Enterprise crew did during the war?

I also find it odd that Riker wasnt given a ship until after the war. With all the ships being destroyed and so many being killed wouldnt they want an officer of Rikers caliber as captian on one of the new ships they rolled out? Or even to replace a captain that had been killed in the line of duty.
    This is my own fan theory now the reality is Riker never got a command to keep Frakes in the TNG Movies. But my theory is this before the Battle of Wolf 359 Riker got offered command of 3 ships the Drake, the Aries, and the Melbourne and then after Wolf 359 nothing for a decade even after Starfleet rebuilt the fleet with dozens of new ships.

As I mentioned in a previous post the USS Intrepid is mentioned in Season 7 of TNG, the Defiant is introduced right after that season and within a year Voyager airs on UPN. 1st Contact comes out 2 years later and it's said that the Enterprise-E has been in service nearly a year and we see the new fleet at the Battle of Sector 001. So, it's safe to say started rolling out the new generation of Starfleet ships in 2371 and 2372 right when Riker would have between postings. So why is a decorated Command Officer who has proven himself in command and has been offered commands in the past not offered one then? My answer the Pegasus.

Picard said at the end of the TNG episode Pegasus it wasn't just Pressman going down it was other members of Starfleet Intelligence also and that while Riker's career had earned him respect the Pegasus incident will cost him some of that respect.

Once the truth about Pegasus came to light it tarnished Riker's career and he no longer had many friends or allies in Starfleet Command. The bad officers in Starfleet were pissed he outed the Pegasus Project and the good officers in Starfleet were probably angry at Riker for keeping his mouth shut for so long.

So, IMO it took him nearly a decade to earn back enough respect and friends to be offered his own command.

Thomas Riker probably didn't help either.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Thomas Riker probably didn't help either.
    Especially considering that anyone with an axe to grind could claim that Will was capable of anything that Thomas did. It's an easy sell, especially if someone has issues with him already.
    Dark does not mean deep.

If the Federation has no money how do any of the cast of DS9 have money to go to Quarks?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    If the Federation has no money how do any of the cast of DS9 have money to go to Quarks?
    In the federation thanks to replicators there is no hunger or want for material possessions since it's at your disposal. Healthcare is free and universal as is housing so inside the Federation Money isn't needed. But there are governments not part of the Federation that use currency so the Federation probably has a reserve of Gold Pressed Latinum for trade. They probably also give a stipend to it's citizens for potential trade or leisure activities in these sectors.

Also I assume property rights like the Picard Vineyard, Janeway's family home in Indiana, the Sisko family restaurant were all grandfathered into the new world system of government when Earth no longer needed to use money.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 03-04-2024 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    In the federation thanks to replicators there is no hunger or want for material possessions since it's at your disposal. Healthcare is free and universal as is housing so inside the Federation Money isn't needed. But there are governments not part of the Federation that use currency so the Federation probably has a reserve of Gold Pressed Latinum for trade. They probably also give a stipend to it's citizens for potential trade or leisure activities in these sectors.

Also I assume property rights like the Picard Vineyard, Janeway's family home in Indiana, the Sisko family restaurant were all grandfathered into the new world system of government when Earth no longer needed to use money.
    Basically. But since trade still happens I don't think money has become non-existent, just not required. The phrase the fans I talk to use is a post-scarcity economy. When the requirements of life are a guarantee, only luxuries cost money. Real wine, made the traditional way, technically any non-replicated food and drink, especially if professionally prepared. Tickets to live events, maybe early access to video/holographic entertainment, and other things.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I've always liked this ship. I'd go with the Venture as the temporary flagship. It's right there in the name. Venture. Enterprise. :P Plus it was commanded by one Admiral Hastur, and it also had the best on screen showing of any Galaxy class not named Enterprise.

Technically the mere fact that it isn't blowing up makes it one of the best shots of anything other then the Enterprise.

Star Trek has been pretty hard on ships crewed by 'not the main cast' going back to the 1960s.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Yeah I think at least four or five TOS episodes have the Enterprise investigating the disappearance of, or finding the wreck of other constitution classes, with the Captain still alive although messed up in at least two cases.

The plot to the most admired movie TWOK involves a Federation ship being captured at the beginning, and a sabotage of one in the next film.

In IV we hear of at least three ships getting disabled by the probe and it's unclear what happens to their crew, although if the Yorktown became Enterprise-A which is kind of semi-canon that makes you wonder what happened to the crew after they were disabled by the probe (the Captain says they're working on a Solar Sail but is it possible it didn't work).

Then in TNG there's tons of Federation ships which of course get utterly destroyed, including the Enterprise's sister ship in a very dramatic way....

Heck the battle scenes during the war had ships being destroyed by the dozens. And The kilingons lost a ton of ships. Slone said it would take the Kilingons a decade to recover from the war. I wonder how long it took for the Federation.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah I think at least four or five TOS episodes have the Enterprise investigating the disappearance of, or finding the wreck of other constitution classes, with the Captain still alive although messed up in at least two cases.

The plot to the most admired movie TWOK involves a Federation ship being captured at the beginning, and a sabotage of one in the next film.

In IV we hear of at least three ships getting disabled by the probe and it's unclear what happens to their crew, although if the Yorktown became Enterprise-A which is kind of semi-canon that makes you wonder what happened to the crew after they were disabled by the probe (the Captain says they're working on a Solar Sail but is it possible it didn't work).

Then in TNG there's tons of Federation ships which of course get utterly destroyed, including the Enterprise's sister ship in a very dramatic way....
    And the Odyssey, another Galaxy class got chumped in DS9.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I know people like to make Red Shirt jokes, but in all honesty during the Dominion War if you were posted to a Miranda Class Starship that was basically a death sentence.

There are mixed messages like when Ben Sisko tells Cassidy Yates that, in his first year at Starfleet Academy, he transported home every night and she responds that he must have used a month's worth of transporter credits in a week. He also talks about the home he is going to "buy" on Bajor when he retires.

The way I always took it is that there is a basic level of existence that everyone is entitled to. The levels of poverty that exist in our time do not exist anymore. Beyond that, you've got to do something to earn more and risking your life in Starfleet and the level of ability it takes probably surpasses choosing going to the library all day every day and reading whatever you want to all day as your job.

And let's just ignore "Picard" where some people are living in trailers.

Also, do most people choose to leave Earth and only a few want to stay? Does that explain why Earth is not hopelessly overpopulated?
    Last edited by Powerboy; 03-04-2024 at 06:44 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

That last, I think would cause a flood of people demanding to be grandfathered in. Alas, IF we count "Picard", we even have Raffi remarking that Picard doesn't "get it" because he grew up rich in that vineyard.
    Power with Girl is better.

I know people like to make Red Shirt jokes, but in all honesty during the Dominion War if you were posted to a Miranda Class Starship that was basically a death sentence.
    It always strikes me as a bit odd that it seems the constitutions are basically getting phased out in the movie era but the Mirandas stick around for almost another century (Real world reason of course so they could keep reusing the Reliant model, probably)