So, spinning out of this dead thread that you wont be able to see in a couple of weeks...
http://oldforums.comicbookresources....Trek-TNG/page8

I'm watching more of TNG, I have some questions. First, while I'm still not particulary interested in the other characters (Though Data as Sherlock Holmes was fun, even if they did got some things wrong in their ''exact duplicate'') I really like Picard. He seems like he would have been a great role model for kids and teens watching back then and it's a privilage I wish I had. Also I saw that gay episode (Outcast) and while anvilicious for today's standards it's kind of ballsy for the 1980's family friendly show, kind of cool that even 30 years later Roddenberry was still ahead of his time.

But: Why are kids in the Enterprise? Even as an exploratory vessel that's hugely irresponsable.
And what exactly is Troi's job? I get she is an empath, which leads to her stating the obvious a lot (I feel that guy with the frowny face is angry, Captain) but she mostly seems to act as a Space Psychologist, which while cool, doesn't seem to justify her position on the bridge.

There are already a couple of answers there... but this is to get the conversation going.