Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 945 of 1015
  1. #931
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    8,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It's important to *them* because the alternative was being hyper-violent feuding tribes for thousands of years, unable to advance beyond 'angry all the time and killing each other for no real reason.' They are super-aggressive, and incredibly strong, and were killing each other faster than they could replace their numbers. Logic allowed them to manage that.

    The Romulans managed to sublimate their rage into constant 'cold war' and longer-term betrayals of each other, a society that had been torn apart by hot rage, they replaced with cold hate. (Not a pleasant alternative, but it worked for them, until the writers blew up *their* planet.)
    What happened to the Remans?

  2. #932
    Mighty Member luprki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It's important to *them* because the alternative was being hyper-violent feuding tribes for thousands of years, unable to advance beyond 'angry all the time and killing each other for no real reason.' They are super-aggressive, and incredibly strong, and were killing each other faster than they could replace their numbers. Logic allowed them to manage that.
    The same can be said about the human race

  3. #933
    Astonishing Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Where has Vulcan’s logic gotten them? They are not smarter, they are not more advanced. Their planet was blown up in one the timeline.
    The point is a logical society is nonsense and goes against nature.
    They were smarter and more advanced though...which Star Trek were you watching?

  4. #934
    X-Cultist nx01a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    47°9′S 126°43′W
    Posts
    12,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    What happened to the Remans?
    I doubt they were considered high on the list of evacuees. Most of them probably died when Remus went.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

  5. #935
    X-Cultist nx01a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    47°9′S 126°43′W
    Posts
    12,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    They were smarter and more advanced though...which Star Trek were you watching?
    Not the one I've watched.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

  6. #936
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    8,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I doubt they were considered high on the list of evacuees. Most of them probably died when Remus went.
    That's honestly disappointing. ST:Picard made a big deal about respecting Romulans as refugees despite them building a massive authoritarian empire yet the Remans get nothing?

  7. #937
    Mighty Member luprki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    They were smarter and more advanced though...which Star Trek were you watching?
    We know the Vulcan was ahead of Earth, as we seen in First Contact. But there’s no evidence that they are more advanced than all species in the universe. Actually there is evidence that they are less advanced than most species.

  8. #938
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    11,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    We know the Vulcan was ahead of Earth, as we seen in First Contact. But there’s no evidence that they are more advanced than all species in the universe. Actually there is evidence that they are less advanced than most species.
    With Vulcan help and guidance, humans rose to become a major player on the galactic stage. They outpaced the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, etc. The only ones that are ahead of them are Species 8472 (whom almost killed the Borg), the Borg, Changelings, the Breen, probably the Nacene ... not to mention the godlike entities/species/collectives like Trelane, the Q, the Traveler’s people, the Bajoran Prophets, etc.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  9. #939
    Astonishing Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    We know the Vulcan was ahead of Earth, as we seen in First Contact. But there’s no evidence that they are more advanced than all species in the universe. Actually there is evidence that they are less advanced than most species.
    There is no evidence that they were less advanced than most species.

    It's okay not to care for the Vulcans, we all have our own preferences, but making stuff up to fit your bias? That is beyond silly.

  10. #940
    Mighty Member luprki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    With Vulcan help and guidance, humans rose to become a major player on the galactic stage. They outpaced the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, etc. The only ones that are ahead of them are Species 8472 (whom almost killed the Borg), the Borg, Changelings, the Breen, probably the Nacene ... not to mention the godlike entities/species/collectives like Trelane, the Q, the Traveler’s people, the Bajoran Prophets, etc.
    That’s true





    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There is no evidence that they were less advanced than most species.

    It's okay not to care for the Vulcans, we all have our own preferences, but making stuff up to fit your bias? That is beyond silly.
    Just because you disagree, doesn’t mean it’s made up.

  11. #941
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    8,843

    Default

    I recall the Vulcans being far more advanced than the Humans. As for other races like Andorians or Tellarites, I can't recall their exact technological levels

  12. #942
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    11,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I recall the Vulcans being far more advanced than the Humans. As for other races like Andorians or Tellarites, I can't recall their exact technological levels
    It's hard with the one-off races/species/encounters, too.

    Because really, the Breen were a one-trick pony when the Federation figured it out.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  13. #943
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    8,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    It's hard with the one-off races/species/encounters, too.

    Because really, the Breen were a one-trick pony when the Federation figured it out.
    The Andorians and Tellarites have had more screen time, but the shows never really examined their technological levels

  14. #944
    Astonishing Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    That’s true






    Just because you disagree, doesn’t mean it’s made up.
    ...but your point is made up though... I mean, there's no other way to say it; you are objectively wrong here and there is no evidence to the contrary. Of the core races of Star Trek that we have the most knowledge they were the first to achieve warp, had the fastest Starship (the so called "Jellyfish") and I could go on and on with the achievements.... and you have nothing?

  15. #945
    Incredible Member green_garnish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    965

    Default

    A season 2 TNG episode suggested that there was an insoluble problem with "replicative fading," or cloning the same biological entity endlessly. The idea was that each repetition introduced an additional flaw into the biological makeup, and was not sustainable. A current day analogy is repeatedly photocopying a document, each time copying the copy, rather than the original.

    Isn't that essentially what the transporter has always done? Break down the atomic structure and recreate it from the copy, rather than the original?
    Last edited by green_garnish; 06-21-2021 at 06:03 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •