Page 33 of 183 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I was just watching some DS9 last night. It is still my favorite of all the Trek shows. To me DS9 will always be the strongest show with the better storylines and more fleshed out characters that feel like real people. [SNIP]
    The one huge advantage DS9 had over the other shows is that it was set in a stable location, and had a stable cast of *non* Starfleet people as main characters. Kira and Odo and Quark and Garak could do stuff that even Worf couldn't get away with. Being located in a single place also meant that areas, species, worlds, etc. could get *massively* spotlighted and developed, because we were going to see them again, week after week. It wasn't going to be like Next Generation, where we meet the Ferengi or Bajorans or Trill one Tuesday evening, and then might not see or hear from them *ever again.* The Cardassians and Bajorans have gotten as much screentime and development on Deep Space 9 as the Romulans have gotten on every Star Trek show, ever. That's cool.

(Contrast to Voyager, which, by it's very premise, constantly travelling at maximum warp away from whatever it encountered last week as it tried to get home, could rarely go in depth on a particular race or culture. Look! It's the Kaizon! Who apparently run a section of the Delta quadrant vastly bigger than the Federation, because after *months* of travelling ten times faster than they can go, and crossing hundreds of light-years a day, we keep running into more of them!)

Also them getting to reuse the same set and dressings over and over, and not have to dress and cast the 'planet of the week' every week, meant more time, focus and money to spend on fleshing out the station and it's crew (and Cardassian history, and Ferengi shenanigans, and Bajoran religion, and other stuff that we still don't know, again, about 'major' races like the Romulans).

It's that reason that I'd like to see more 'stationary' Trek shows, such as a Starfleet Academy-based show. I love me some five-year-missions with a new planet and culture and alien race (that we'll probably never see again) each week, because it can be new and fresh and fun, but, at the same time, I also like the idea of exploring a place, a culture, some characters (and some non-Starfleet characters, who, as you point out, can be quite a bit different than the 'too perfect sometimes' Starfleet officers) more deeply.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 04-10-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

So I am pretty annoyed with CBS for being petty enough with Netflix after the whole behind the scenes drama over Discovery and Short Treks and making the Picard show an Amazon Prime exclusive internationally. Amazon Prime is pretty crap compared to Netflix and doesn’t really have anything outside some DC shows to interest me, so I am not getting it just for Picard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I was just watching some DS9 last night. It is still my favorite of all the Trek shows. To me DS9 will always be the strongest show with the better storylines and more fleshed out characters that feel like real people. That was always my issues with Next Gen in that everyone was just a little too "perfect" all the time. None of them really had any real problems outside of maybe Worf. The rest all had their little moments here and there, but most of the time they were the same "perfect" starfleet officer in the last episode they were in the first episode of the series. You compare that to the growth and change of character like Sisko, Quark, Bashir, Odo, and others on DS9 it is not even a contest.

Do you or anyone know what were the ratings for the 80s/90s Star Trek shows? I guess TNG had the highest.

I went to the theater tonight to see the documentary What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Loved it a lot!
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I went to the theater tonight to see the documentary What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Loved it a lot!
    Same here. I was pleasantly surprised at how full the theater was!? Great doc though; I'll definitely pick it up when it hits Blu-ray in August.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Same here. I was pleasantly surprised at how full the theater was!? Great doc though; I'll definitely pick it up when it hits Blu-ray in August.
    There were people in the theater I was at but I wouldn't say it was full. That was disappointing because I would've loved to see it packed with Trek fans. But still, you are right about picking it up when it gets released on August 6th.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Sure, they may be MCU shills, but this is a devastating take down of Discovery Season 2.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I picked up my DVD copy of the DS9 documentary What We Left Behind.

And sadly, actress Barbara March, who played Lursa on TNG has passed away.

DS9 Was great for the reasons you guys have been saying, but two things about the show bothered me (well, it's more one thing I wish and one thing that bothered):
    -- I wish there had been more of those "conference room" type scenes that TNG had where the main crew got together to go over a problem and hash it out, etc. I felt it helped bond the crew dynamics and really show the Captain as the leader. As great as Sisko was, I didn't feel that same sense of "team" with him and his crew. He seemed to be close to them all individually rather than as "their leader." (not to say that he wasn't a great leader - he showed that during the war, but it wasn't as much about the core cast)
    -- ANy episode that focused on Quark made me want to chew my arm off. And then they started having episodes focused on his brother?! It reminded me of when "Moonlighting" started focusing on Booger and Dipesto...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    -- ANy episode that focused on Quark made me want to chew my arm off. And then they started having episodes focused on his brother?! It reminded me of when "Moonlighting" started focusing on Booger and Dipesto...
    Agreed.

While I think Armin Shimerman is a great actor, there's 2 (3?) Ferengi episodes that I don't hate. But even then, their antics should have been kept to the B-plots at best.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Incredible Member

“Time has been good to Deep Space Nine”

The DS9 documentary was cool. The hate mail was crazy. Good thing there wasn’t social media back then. Lol

DS9 is my favorite Star Trek show and they had the best episode out of all the series

"In the Pale Moonlight"

I’d like to see some of the DS9 characters make an appearance on the Picard show.

Avery Brooks is awesome! I wonder if they made him change his appearance at the beginning so that people wouldn't think of Hawk, but he friggin' owns that look!

Interesting listen. Thoughts?

Last edited by stargazer01; 09-09-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    “Time has been good to Deep Space Nine”

DS9 is my favorite Star Trek show and they had the best episode out of all the series

"In the Pale Moonlight"

I’d like to see some of the DS9 characters make an appearance on the Picard show.
    Likewise.

"In the Pale Moonlight" was my favorite Star Trek Episode.

It shows the harshness of war, a tough decision for Sisko because there were going to be repercussions regardless of the choice, Garak could give Batman a run for his money, and the acting was top notch.

Sisko, Garak, and Rom were my favorite characters. DS9 was my favorite of the Star Trek Series by far.

DS9 by far was my favorite of the Star Trek Series. I can go on and on

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Avery Brooks is awesome! I wonder if they made him change his appearance at the beginning so that people wouldn't think of Hawk, but he friggin' owns that look!
    I read somewhere that this was exactly the reason they (probably Rick Berman) wouldn't let Brooks sport the goatee and bald head at the beginning of the series. Once there was some more distance between Sisko and Hawk, they let him go with his preferred look.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009