Page 36 of 183 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

I want to know how they’ll handle Chekov.

RIP Anton. That death still gets me. The kid was so young and so talented.

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    So, how're they going to get Chris Pine back for this? (Kinda sorry to hear that this isn't replacing the potential Terrentino project; as selfish as I think it is to wish something you're not interested in getting made gets canceled, the more I hear about it, the more and more it feels like the guy is a very wrong choice for the franchise.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkverine View Post
    I want to know how they’ll handle Chekov.

RIP Anton. That death still gets me. The kid was so young and so talented.
    Just not have him in the movie, with or without an explanation?
    Last edited by WebLurker; 11-22-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    So, how're they going to get Chris Pine back for this? (Kinda sorry to hear that this isn't replacing the potential Terrentino project; as selfish as I think it is to wish something you're not interested in getting made gets canceled, the more I hear about it, the more and more it feels like the guy is a very wrong choice for the franchise.)

Just not have him in the movie, with or without an explanation?
    All they need to do is say he was promoted and joined the Reliant or something like that.

Be kind of curious to see what the alternate Enterprise A looks like in the interiors. In the original movies, while IV's bridge was pretty much just the one from I-III painted all white, the V one with the carpet and Okudagrams was pretty much intended to suggest TNG's look (and of course many of the corridor sets were unchanged from TNG) VI's was slightly similar but generally more military-oriented I think.

Wondering if they'll keep the "Apple store" look or change things up a bit.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Would Chris Pine be onboard though? They were pretty much going for a team up between him and Hemsworth (Who played his father in the opening minutes of the first Kelvin film) but both talks fell through about a year and a half ago.
    I know he likes to do smaller projects so He might have decided to come back for the big paycheck to give him the freedom to do his smaller stuff. I am sure that Star Trek money is a lot more than what he makes on something like Hell or High Water. Having those big blockbusters on standby makes taking smaller projects more apealling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    All they need to do is say he was promoted and joined the Reliant or something like that.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I know he likes to do smaller projects so He might have decided to come back for the big paycheck to give him the freedom to do his smaller stuff. I am sure that Star Trek money is a lot more than what he makes on something like Hell or High Water. Having those big blockbusters on standby makes taking smaller projects more apealling.
    Maybe. I think I'd rather they get him back then recast.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

He should have been the next person to helms the x-men films, already said this on x-books. Paramount has seen this guys talents. hopefully they make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

?
    Hawley's work speaks for him but try and watch Legion at least the first season to see what his style is like. Every episode of Legion would could make a great TNG Episode. Star Trek in story telling is more similar to Legion and Fargo, Hawley now has that kind of experience. Who knows, with MCU winding down and Disney star wars rapping things up. this could be the next wave for blockbuster movies we need. something more intellectually challenging. He could the next Christopher Nolan just based on how his mind works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    That would be in bad taste to say he was promoted or joined another team. The actor passed, it could be good if the character passed and we still see people mourning him in a subtle manner. What they should do is bring back Carol Marcus and Jaylah. More female characters would be good.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-23-2019 at 04:07 AM.

It'd be a nod of sorts to KHAN, where we learn that Chechov was promoted and decided to serve as first officer on another ship (Saavik takes his place as navigator during most of the movie; even when he returns he assumes his TMP role as tactical officer, although in III and most of the other movies he returns to Navigator, although in III he's briefly comms as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Hawley's work speaks for him but try and watch Legion at least the first season to see what his style is like. Every episode of Legion would could make a great TNG Episode. Star Trek in story telling is more similar to Legion and Fargo, Hawley now has that kind of experience. Who knows, with MCU winding down and Disney star wars rapping things up. this could be the next wave for blockbuster movies we need. something more intellectually challenging. He could the next Christopher Nolan just based on how his mind works.

That would be in bad taste to say he was promoted or joined another team. The actor passed, it could be good if the character passed and we still see people mourning him in a subtle manner. What they should do is bring back Carol Marcus and Jaylah. More female characters would be good.
    Taste is in the eye of the beholder, but there's already precedent for him joining the Reliant, and Star Trek loves its references, especially the Abrams era.

I'm not saying this is the only route, but that route is also true to the character and franchise history. That's what removes it from being tasteless. If anything, the Kelvinverse Chekov is portrayed as much more of a wunderkind prodigy than the Prime version, and so moving on makes more sense. Plus, on a metatextual level, speaking of his achievements and would also mirror Yelchin's own considerable growth before his own untimely passing.

If anything, placing the character as a vehicle for the writers and actors to speak well of the dearly departed actor is as high a tribute as you can get without breaking the fourth wall.

Plus, saying Chekov had moved on to another post, and having Marcus or Jaylah join the crew, are not mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Would Chris Pine be onboard though? They were pretty much going for a team up between him and Hemsworth (Who played his father in the opening minutes of the first Kelvin film) but both talks fell through about a year and a half ago.
    Wasn't the reason being he wanted more money than they were willing to pay him? I can't see with the success of Wonder Woman he would now be willing to work for the money they were offering him for Star Trek.
    And with the flop last Star Trek movie was that they are going to want to spend a lot of money on this one hoping things will turn around. Maybe the best thing would be to reboot the franchise again and not call
    this one Star Trek IV. Recast the role of Kirk and Spock and the rest. That would also solve the Chekov problem because they would also have a new Chekov.

With the Paramount reunification [pardon the pun], I'm hoping the time travel aspect of 4 involves Kirk and his father undoing the damage to the timeline caused by the Narada so we can get out of this alternate reality and back to the Prime timeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    With the Paramount reunification [pardon the pun], I'm hoping the time travel aspect of 4 involves Kirk and his father undoing the damage to the timeline caused by the Narada so we can get out of this alternate reality and back to the Prime timeline.
    It's not like the existence of the alternate reality hampers the prime timeline. The prime universe is still chugging along. We're going to get at least 2 seasons of Picard well before the fourth alternate reality movie comes out, for one thing. There's no need to go back to the prime timeline as if it stopped existing, because they're not mutually exclusive -- one doesn't replace or substitute the other. While the events of the alternate universe movies were going on, the events of the prime universe still happened the way we remember it; that was the whole point of the writers creating a divergent timeline, so that the alternate movies don't overwrite established Trek history. The two timelines exist side by side (think of "Parallels" from TNG. The Borg taking over one reality didn't overwrite the prime timeline, among all the other hundreds of thousands of examples in that same episode.).

If the Abrams movies were the only thing left of Trek right now, then there'd be a case for that, but as it is the prime universe is alive and well (and kicking!) right now, with more expansion down the line, regardless of the 4th movie.

It did make one major change to the prime timeline though-the destruction of Romolus. Although I'm pretty sure that's part of what's going on with PICARD.

About Voyager. So I'm binging Deep Space Nine right now as I only saw the first three seasons way back when it came out. Now I'm almost done with season 5 and the Maquis storyline has been recurring. Which made me recall that Voyager, a show I've only seen perhaps 5-10 episodes of, involved the Maquis so I took a break from DS9 for a minute to watch the premiere which I know I saw when it debuted 25 years or so ago but never since.

To which I'm holy crap this is bad. It has a great premise and the characters other than Neelix and Kes (the Jar Jars of this show) seems great but the writing is HORRIBLE and nonsensical. I get why they brought Tom Paris on the mission but no way they allow a disgraced criminal and traitor to wear a Starfleet uniform. He would have been in civilian stuff. Then no way they allow him to go on the first away mission when you have lots of actual crew members, aka non traitor criminals, to go. I understand what they want to do with his character arc and they needed to establish his redemption arc but at least make it believable. Write it in a way where he's forced to go on the mission rather than Janeaway choosing him over some of her actual officers and crew. Then the nonsense at the end where she makes him a lieutenant. She makes him an officer OVER many of her own crew. I can see her giving him the same chance she is giving the Maquis but make him an ensign and let him work his way up.

Not sure if I'll go on when I finish DS9 if the premiere is any indication of quality of this show. I don't recall much of the the other episodes I've seen other than one where some of the characters get turned into slugs or something, one or two with the Borg and 7 of 9, and then I know I saw the finale though I don't recall much other than they got back to Earth.

Does the writing improve?
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 11-25-2019 at 10:01 AM.