Page 133 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2736

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Picard I think in one of the materials (Instagram or something on screen as an Easter egg?) stated that Uhura at least became a captain after TUC.
    Season 2 revealed the plaque.

Captain Noyta Uhura, USS Leondegrance, commissioned 2288, captained by Uhura from 2301 to 2305, on a five-year mission of exploration in the Lesser Magellanic Cloud.

The details from the plaque also reveal that the Leondegrance became an Academy training ship in 2317 and Uhura remained captain until 2333.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Uhura would have been way too old after TUD country to command a ship. That strikes me as kind of fan fiction-y.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Uhura would have been way too old after TUD country to command a ship. That strikes me as kind of fan fiction-y.
    Picard was still Captain of the Enterprise-E at age 76 and Admiral Leonard "Bones" McCoy was still on active duty at age 137 when he did the inspection of the Enterprise-D sickbay. Humans due to medical advancements live longer and are active for longer. In the DS9 books the character Elias Vaughn was almost a hundred and Picard told him he still had many good years in him.

Well, it's canon now! On screen no less.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Why? I can follow the question how how she went from being a senior communications officer to commanding a ship (although apparently she was, at one point, intended to be pretty high up on the chain of command, so it's not implausible), but ageism would hardly be a factor. (If nothing else, "The Counter Clock Incident" [TAS] strongly implied that advanced age wouldn't be a factor for service if the officer in question could still do their job. We know that "Encounter at Farpoing" [TNG] showed that Dr. McCoy was well over 100 and still in active service and "Tattoo" [VOY] strongly implies that Mr. Sulu was still serving as a captain at a similar age as well.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

My primary objection to Uhura being a captain of a starship is just that there is nothing in the series canon that suggests that would be her career path. Sulu was a captain in Undiscovered Country for instance, but as far as I know there is nothing in the movies to suggest Uhura was so much as interested in command (I checked her bio on Memory Alpha and, apparently, the character was originally in Command division, but transferred to Operations division during TOS).

The reason why it comes across as fan fiction-y to me is because I feel a lot of fans would have every Star Trek cast members become a Captain, even if they didn't actually match the character and, the fact that it was "revealed" that Picard was tutored by Uhura too...It strikes me as trying to make the character as more important than she was in the TV shows and movies because in the real world, there is a lot of attention to the Uhura because she is seen as a symbol that advanced racial progress.

My primary objection to Uhura being a captain of a starship is just that there is nothing in the series canon that suggests that would be her career path. Sulu was a captain in Undiscovered Country for instance, but as far as I know there is nothing in the movies to suggest Uhura was so much as interested in command (I checked her bio on Memory Alpha and, apparently, the character was originally in Command division, but transferred to Operations division during TOS).

The reason why it comes across as fan fiction-y to me is because I feel a lot of fans would have every Star Trek cast members become a Captain, even if they didn't actually match the character and, the fact that it was "revealed" that Picard was tutored by Uhura too...It strikes me as trying to make the character as more important than she was in the TV shows and movies because in the real world, there is a lot of attention to the Uhura because she is seen as a symbol that advanced racial progress.
    She was captain of the Enterprise in canon. All the males went nuts, she recognized it, and took control to save the crew.

Soo ... ??? Not sure why it bothers you.

BANNED

Now that Discovery's ending, I was kinda wondering if we see an Enterprise in the 32nd Century.
    I wonder what class would be if it exists. I bet Kirk Class.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 03-05-2023 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    She was captain of the Enterprise in canon. All the males went nuts, she recognized it, and took control to save the crew.

Soo ... ??? Not sure why it bothers you.
    She didn't have captain as a rank though. Like Deanna Troi served as an acting captain before too, but I don't think the character would choose to become a ranked captain and I think it would be seen as weird if they had written her to become one.

She didn't have captain as a rank though. Like Deanna Troi served as an acting captain before too, but I don't think the character would choose to become a ranked captain and I think it would be seen as weird if they had written her to become one.
    Sorry but that's Apples and Oranges given Deanna was a counselor who spent years not even willing to wear a uniform and Uhura was a bridge officer. Look at Beverly she was a doctor but in All Good Things she's commanding a Starfleet Medical Ship in the Future the USS Pasteur and in Picard she had the ship SS Eleos XII while working as a Doctor without Boarders.

in 2293 in ST VI Uhura held the rank of Commander. 7 years later Starfleet gives her the rank of Captain and Command of the USS Leondegrance and sent her on a 5-year exploratory mission where she made 1st contact with 100 species.

Uhura is a highly regarded Starfleet Officer that has literally helped saved the Federation/Earth twice (V'Ger and Whale Probe) and was a key player in peace with the Klingons. She spent the bulk of her career exploring deep space and is a linguist expert which comes in handy with 1st contact. She's an ideal choice for a job like that and as for her not wanting it we have no idea if she was keen on moving beyond her station as Communications Officer any more than we did Sulu before he became Captain of Excelsior.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Season 2 revealed the plaque.

Captain Noyta Uhura, USS Leondegrance, commissioned 2288, captained by Uhura from 2301 to 2305, on a five-year mission of exploration in the Lesser Magellanic Cloud.

The details from the plaque also reveal that the Leondegrance became an Academy training ship in 2317 and Uhura remained captain until 2333.
    I am sure that Starfleet saw the TOS seven as extraordinary officers. Could they all have risen to command rank? Spock and Scotty got their captaincies during the TOS movies. Scotty was a "Captain of Engineering" which I saw as a higher rank but no command. No problem for me there. Spock, of course was Kirk's exec for years and had a backgroung for command. McCoy was an Admiral in "Farpoint" and it's probably he had a setup like Scotty where he got rank without commanding a ship. This leaves Sulu, Uhura, and Chekov.

What we've seen in other shows is the test Deanna Troi took before becoming a full commander. Tilly was in a Command Training Program in Discovery, and Uhura was doing rotations as a cadet aboard Pike's Enterprise in SNW. A point brought up about Uhura's background to be given a ship of her own is understandable. However that same argument should go against Sulu as well. It's possible Sulu was Spock's exec before Wrath of Khan but that's speculation. Very little has been seen about Sulu or Uhura getting experience in TOS outside of their jobs as pilot and communications officer. What's odd is that Chekov has rotation through other departments as a security chief, a navigator, a science officer, and being Clark Terrell's exec in Wrath of Khan. I can certain believe Uhura and Sulu were able to gain other experiences in order to be more than just one field backgrounds.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

The Enterprise was THE ship for awhile, so I'm sure even crewman that didn't go on away missions probably got nice postings after an Enterprise tour.

Also Saavik got a command as well only five years after TWOK.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    So I wonder if there are any plans to replace Discovery with another spinoff, otherwise it'll just be SNW and the animated shows as Picard is also ending.

I think I've stated before that a PICARD spin-off might be likely with some of the Picard characters-Seven, Jack, the Laforge daughters etc.
    Curiosity about future plans is indeed a strong point. Afterall, ending Disco at S5 is an adjustment they made. It was not intended to be the end.
    Speculation in places I've been is that pulling back on Trek production fare may be a quiet adjustment of the Paramount+ and Showtime merger.

S5 was/is Burnham's debut as the Captain of the ship, not defacto or interim so ending it here was not the plan. That much as been alluded to in other articles. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the show was targeting that classic 7 season mark at some point years away from now.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Sorry but that's Apples and Oranges given Deanna was a counselor who spent years not even willing to wear a uniform and Uhura was a bridge officer. Look at Beverly she was a doctor but in All Good Things she's commanding a Starfleet Medical Ship in the Future the USS Pasteur and in Picard she had the ship SS Eleos XII while working as a Doctor without Boarders.

in 2293 in ST VI Uhura held the rank of Commander. 7 years later Starfleet gives her the rank of Captain and Command of the USS Leondegrance and sent her on a 5-year exploratory mission where she made 1st contact with 100 species.

Uhura is a highly regarded Starfleet Officer that has literally helped saved the Federation/Earth twice (V'Ger and Whale Probe) and was a key player in peace with the Klingons. She spent the bulk of her career exploring deep space and is a linguist expert which comes in handy with 1st contact. She's an ideal choice for a job like that and as for her not wanting it we have no idea if she was keen on moving beyond her station as Communications Officer any more than we did Sulu before he became Captain of Excelsior.
    I'm not saying she's incompetent though, just that the character would probably want to be something else like a diplomat or instructor. It just strikes me as a lazy that they went to the '5 year mission' for Uhura. They also apparently named a ship after her as well...how often does that happen? I don't see Kirk with a ship named after him. The Picard writers clearly had a weird thing for Uhura going on here (I imagine the ship is probably a named Uhura to honour the actress that passed away).

It doesn't help that the 'canonnicity' is because of some background props as well for an abandoned Star Trek short. If they had made the Short, with Uhura and a young Picard, I probably would have accepted it or even have Picard mention their relationship in a line of dialogue too. I didn't know this until now because its not shown in a meaningful way in the the show. It just better if we agree this isn't canon.