Page 128 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2736
    Astonishing Member

I watched Lower Decks season 1, then all of Prodigy and am now working my way through Strange New Worlds. I'm enjoying myself so far.

It's funny, during the course of Prodigy I got to an episode where Dal body-swapped with Admiral Janeway. I know body-swaps mainly as a kids' show trope. So, I just said to myself that despite how Prodigy seemed to go a bit beyond that kind of material, I guess it's okay if Prodigy indulges in a cartoon trope once or twice. Then, I got to an episode of Strange New Worlds where Spock accidentally swapped bodies with his fiancée. So, now I figure Star Trek must just be like that sometimes.

Mighty Member

So, I'm reading about Picard Season 3 and my resistance is breaking...Im about to sub to P+ and take the plunge, watch all of the shows and movies...I bet it'll be a great ride

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, I'm reading about Picard Season 3 and my resistance is breaking...Im about to sub to P+ and take the plunge, watch all of the shows and movies...I bet it'll be a great ride
    I went for a half price deal for a year of P+ and for a small mothly cost, it's pretty good for what I get, even if it's only Trek.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I went for a half price deal for a year of P+ and for a small mothly cost, it's pretty good for what I get, even if it's only Trek.
    I just bought myself $25 worth of Paramount+ via gift card, because I mainly wanted to watch the completed seasons of Prodigy, SNW and Lower Decks and then decide from there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I watched Lower Decks season 1, then all of Prodigy and am now working my way through Strange New Worlds. I'm enjoying myself so far.

It's funny, during the course of Prodigy I got to an episode where Dal body-swapped with Admiral Janeway. I know body-swaps mainly as a kids' show trope. So, I just said to myself that despite how Prodigy seemed to go a bit beyond that kind of material, I guess it's okay if Prodigy indulges in a cartoon trope once or twice. Then, I got to an episode of Strange New Worlds where Spock accidentally swapped bodies with his fiancée. So, now I figure Star Trek must just be like that sometimes.
    Body switch plots have been around since the original series in some form or another.
    One episode even had Spock defeat the villain by having secretly transfered his mind into Nurse Chapel (albeit it was only revealed after he allready had switched back), while his own body was posessed.

So it's not just Prodigy being like that sometimes. Star Trek has always been full of silly, weird and clichéd things and even if some seem to reduce it to it's most serious and impactfull moments.

Infact a lot of the fun in Lower Decks actualy comes from the show acknowleding all the silly and weird stuff from past shows and dealing with the fact that those must still exist within their universe either in it's original form or as something similar.

Btw. I personaly feel Lower Decks got a lot better with season 2 (not that i disliked the first).
    Last edited by Grunty; 01-30-2023 at 03:28 PM.

BANNED

Dal in Janeway's body was pure delight.
    Probably the best case of mind transfer I have seen ever since the TMNT episode in which Splider switched bodies with Shedder.

I wish that Picard would go for five seasons plus a full length straight to streaming movie.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I wish that Picard would go for five seasons plus a full length straight to streaming movie.
    I'm guessing the showrunners wanted to have a completed show considering the casts age. At least this way we will have a final send off for Picard and crew. Stewart is in his 70s right? It'd be worse if he retired or passed while going for five seasons plus a movie.

I'm guessing the showrunners wanted to have a completed show considering the casts age. At least this way we will have a final send off for Picard and crew. Stewart is in his 70s right? It'd be worse if he retired or passed while going for five seasons plus a movie.
    Stewart is 82. Honestly Picard has been pretty bad, but this season from looks of the trailers and buzz by people who have seen it is that it has righted the ship to give Picard and the TNG crew a proper send off.

I will say the 1st 2 episodes of Season 2 are good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Body switch plots have been around since the original series in some form or another.
    One episode even had Spock defeat the villain by having secretly transfered his mind into Nurse Chapel (albeit it was only revealed after he allready had switched back), while his own body was posessed.

So it's not just Prodigy being like that sometimes. Star Trek has always been full of silly, weird and clichéd things and even if some seem to reduce it to it's most serious and impactfull moments.

Infact a lot of the fun in Lower Decks actualy comes from the show acknowleding all the silly and weird stuff from past shows and dealing with the fact that those must still exist within their universe either in it's original form or as something similar.

Btw. I personaly feel Lower Decks got a lot better with season 2 (not that i disliked the first).
    I suppose you're right about the silly stuff. Back when I was a kid in the '90s my dad used to watch the Star Trek shows that were around then (TNG, DS9, Voyager) and one thing I realized pretty quick was that the character of Q was just Star Trek's Mr. Mxyzptlk. I mean, just because he doesn't wear a little purple derby hat doesn't mean it's not true.

Anyway, I'll get to Season 2 of Lower Decks before long. I just can't watch everything at once. In addition to Star Trek I'm also watching some seasonal anime and a whole bunch of tokusatsu I got on physical media.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I suppose you're right about the silly stuff. Back when I was a kid in the '90s my dad used to watch the Star Trek shows that were around then (TNG, DS9, Voyager) and one thing I realized pretty quick was that the character of Q was just Star Trek's Mr. Mxyzptlk. I mean, just because he doesn't wear a little purple derby hat doesn't mean it's not true.

Anyway, I'll get to Season 2 of Lower Decks before long. I just can't watch everything at once. In addition to Star Trek I'm also watching some seasonal anime and a whole bunch of tokusatsu I got on physical media.
    TOS was episodic and cancelled with no fanfare, so it ended abruptly with a body swap episode. Kirk's mind was placed inside of a woman who wanted to be a Starfleet Captain but blamed sexism for the reason she wasn't in Starfleet.

The episode was meant to be commentary on a real issue woman being denied jobs heck one of the greatest writers of TOS was Dorothy Fontana who had to write under the pen name DC Fontana so her scripts would get pass producers when she started in the biz.

The issue with the episode from a canon standpoint is the Federation and Starfleet were beyond such discriminations and prequel shows such as ENT, DISCO, & SNW have shown female Captains and Admirals. So, I just chock it up to her being crazy in the TOS I mean she was, so it fits.

Mighty Member

Holy crap youtube seems to be a dumpster fire for new Star Trek. A whole bunch of videos dumping on why Discovery/Lower Decls/Strange New Worlds/Picard suck. I think I only managed to find one video of a fan who loves Trek who talked positively about the series. I won't let the vitrol get me down...

Holy crap youtube seems to be a dumpster fire for new Star Trek. A whole bunch of videos dumping on why Discovery/Lower Decls/Strange New Worlds/Picard suck. I think I only managed to find one video of a fan who loves Trek who talked positively about the series. I won't let the vitrol get me down...
    Yead avoid at all costs I don't even like DISCO or the 1st 2 seasons of Picard but I do have hopes for season 3. I loved Prodigy and SNW and like Lower Decks but 90% of those channels hate these shows because of "Diversity Hires" and being "Woke" and it's like seriously did they not watch TOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Yead avoid at all costs I don't even like DISCO or the 1st 2 seasons of Picard but I do have hopes for season 3. I loved Prodigy and SNW and like Lower Decks but 90% of those channels hate these shows because of "Diversity Hires" and being "Woke" and it's like seriously did they not watch TOS?
    Trek was woke before most of those people were born ...

I enjoyed Discovery S2 on. Picard was very hit and miss both seasons. Lower Decks is not my thing. SNW and Prodigy are the legacy done right IMHO.

Those two shows are the best of the new and easily some of the greatest Trek of all time (episodes, not whole series, however I would put SNW S1 up as greatest ST first season).
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-31-2023 at 09:05 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

YouTube and Twitter are both worthless dumping grounds were a vocal minority THINK they speak for a majority. Sometimes, too often imo, the corporations and politicians have listened to those echo chambers with that in mind sadly.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime