Page 74 of 183 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 2736
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Based on a comparison of 1967 shows, TMP, and the first couple seasons of TNG, I don't see any basis for this thought. It seems to me like he never altered his opinion of what makes Star Trek great, but the fans and those around him did.
    Roddenberry seemed more open to scripts that were reflective of the time's human and social flaws during TOS than he was whilst still wielding influence over TNG. "Mudd's Women" is a particular case in my mind: the dilithum miners were Federation Citizens living a pretty harsh existence, but expected to become wealthy (hence Mudd's interest in them), both were things GR vigorously excised from TNG. Likewise, societies without troubles don't spawn counter-cultures like that depicted in "Way To Eden." Granted, it's extrapolation, but it suggests to me that GR might have been more open to scripts examining systemic flaws in his Future Earth during TOS production run.

Of course, when GR was producing TOS, it happened to be the latest show he'd created and steered, and he tried several others after. By the time TNG was greenlit, not only was ST more of a broadly accepted cultural phenom than it had been in original run, it was about the only egg in his basket, and he seemed much more protective of his golden goose than back when it was just the show he was working on for the moment.

Yeah as I recall Roddenberry did try to get some non-Trek stuff off the ground in the 70s but it either failed or was picked up later on after his death (Earth: Final Conflict, Andromeda etc). I guess Assignment Earth sort of counts although I'm not sure how involved he was with that idea.

There's also the Maquis but they're kind of introduced after Roddenberry's death (and were kind of a set-up in part for Voyager, although they do a lot in DS9 as well and a tiny bit of TNG)
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 09-05-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Star Trek Day is live right now. Fun interviews and minor reveals.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

...and they just announced some HUGE recastings for SNW!
    Great new costumes, too, which got rid of the needlessly complex neck thing.
    Last edited by nx01a; 09-08-2021 at 07:14 PM.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    ...and they just announced some HUGE recastings for SNW!
    Great new costumes, too, which got rid of the needlessly complex neck thing.
    Wait, is Christina Chang's character really who they're implying her to be?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Wait, is Christina Chang's character really who they're implying her to be?
    It's all in the last name. And the first name, too.

I'm curious that with Chapel also part of the crew & the possible connection between the Singhs and Soongs (already implied in Enterprise) that they'll find some way to connect Chapel's fiancee's research to the origins of Data.

Also maybe some stuff on how she became attracted to Spock (TOS's main unrequited romance).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 09-09-2021 at 09:42 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Does anyone think putting Spock in a romance is a bad idea?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I'm curious that with Chapel also part of the crew & the possible connection between the Singhs and Soongs (already implied in Enterprise) that they'll find some way to connect Chapel's fiancee's research to the origins of Data.

Also maybe some stuff on how she became attracted to Spock (TOS's main unrequited romance).
    I rather see a hint or at least a one off of a Spock and Uhura romance than Spock and Chapel because of the Kelvin movies. But since these writers have a history of bad writing Picard and Discovery, any romance will perhaps suck as with the romance of Michael and Book, Paul and Hugh in Discovery. The only romance that they seem to have written quite well is Sarek and Amanda but that is because TOS has already made it very hard for them to screw it up.

The problem with Michael/Book is the same as Rafi/Seven: we didn't see it happen. Michael/Book had a whole year together which we've heard maybe three passing lines about. Unlike Rafi/Seven thankfully, we see them together throughout the season and I think they're good together... but not as good as Book/Queen Grudge. Hugh/Paul just seemed like a regular couple without drama until Hugh died. I think they're cute together even though Paul can be annoying, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them as parental figures.

I'll pass on Spock and Chapel or Uhura. Emotional Spock and the Augment (with that name, how can she not be), however? Poor Dr. M'Benga will have Worf/Jadzia levels of morning after injuries with those two. Maybe that's why Nurse Chapel gets interested in Spock.

Ultimate Member

I just think Spock works better detached from all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I just think Spock works better detached from all that.
    While I completely agree, an emotional Spock working his way to logical Spock is well exemplified by being in then exiting a romantic relationship.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    While I completely agree, an emotional Spock working his way to logical Spock is well exemplified by being in then exiting a romantic relationship.
    I don't mind him being emotional, but I don't get the point of him being in a romance

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Ok, Voyager... I did not watch a whole lot of it. Wasn't my fave. But I swear Tuvok fell in love with Janeway and nobody seems to really remember it outside of a the maker of a fan vid and some of their commenters.

Christina Chong is La’an Noonien-Singh: Sigh, can we not? We just got done with Data stuff over in Picard and we are going back to that well ALREADY?

Celia Rose Gooding is Cadet Nyota Uhura: The actress is charming enough but we all know the only reason she is playing this character is because JJ (Plans? What are those?! LOL) Abrams latched onto this for his Star Trek movie that is in a separate continuity. Is anyone out there really excited to see this pairing?

Bruce Horak is Hemmer: The thinking behind this character probably went something like this....
    Akiva Goldsman: Hey, you know how Discovery has been on for awhile but nobody can name more than three characters without going to the internet for help?

Alex Kurtzman: "......."

Akiva Goldsman: One of those characters people can always name is Saru. We should have another alien. That would be a great idea and...

Alex Kurtzman: That's not true I can name more than three! Michael, Tilly, Saru....uhhh

Akiva Goldsman: Are you looking at your phone now?

Alex Kurtzman: Yeah, texting from my wife.

Akiva Goldsman: Your wife's name is Google now?

Alex Kurtzman: Fine, add the alien.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 09-10-2021 at 12:04 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest