Page 165 of 183 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 2736

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Please, it's a top ten streamed show, that's an impressive number so no gaslighting anyone to say it's a popular show. Is it Stranger Things? No, but in a very fragmented entertainment world it was watched by a lot of people.

There is no way to read that article and come away with, "Paramount is lying about how well Strange New Worlds is doing!" unless you have a really BIG bias against the show for some strange reason. And I say strange because it's very obvious to anyone else who reads the article that it doesn't say what you're saying it does at all. It's like trying to convince people the sky is green when we all have eyes and unless you're color blind it's clear that it is infact blue no matter how much you scream it is green.

It's totally fine not to like something, but it's weird to try and pretend that because you don't like then most people don't either.
    The sky does turn green every day when the sun rises and sets.

It's called green flash.

/nerd

Joke aside, I agree with you.

There are levels of success and a small part of our culture only views it as overwhelming cultural zeitgeist.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Not a fan of Voyager so I was kinda disappointed the season was opening with an homage, but I thought the premiere was one of the strongest episodes the show has done. The army of Tuvixes was stupid/fun enough to win me over. And finally, promotions! Second episode wasn't quite as good. Didn't need another repeat of "Mariner gets in trouble on purpose" and even Boilmer's not usually manic enough to forget something as common as 'window shades' but it was still fun and moopsie was ridiculous enough, I'm making a lot of allowances for the rest.

Love modern Trek. It opened the doors for me to introduce the franchise to my son and now we watch all of it together. And of course I've introduced him to the classic stuff....except Voyager of course.
    Although Voyager was my least favorite Star Trek (Yes! Even more than Discovery), I loved the LD episode. First, there was everyone going on about how Janeway must have found a great solution to the Tuvix problem only to go "What the #@$#@#? She outright murdered him". Plus, it was an in joke that the LD promotions and the biggest shakeup took place in an episode that revolved around Voyager, the show that was notorious for nothing ever changing and no promotions.

Did anyone watch the Paramount Plus Star Trek day feature? It pushed the new season of Discovery as the Golden Age of Star Trek (They literally said that and more than once) as if it was considered a breakthrough phenomenon and not the bottom of the barrel version o0f Star Trek that most people actually consider it to be. Yes! It was the first to have an openly gay male relationship. Full props for that. But that alone doesn't save it. So the ST Day thing was pure propaganda.

In yet other news, there was a person I know who, some time ago, got the job of driving William Shatner around while he was here in Indianapolis. They got a photo together and this guy said Shatner was the nicest guy and totally reasonable and considerate. This seems to further uphold the rumor that Shatner is not a jerk at all except within the context of Star Trek and acting.
    Power with Girl is better.

Please, it's a top ten streamed show, that's an impressive number so no gaslighting anyone to say it's a popular show. Is it Stranger Things? No, but in a very fragmented entertainment world it was watched by a lot of people.

There is no way to read that article and come away with, "Paramount is lying about how well Strange New Worlds is doing!" unless you have a really BIG bias against the show for some strange reason. And I say strange because it's very obvious to anyone else who reads the article that it doesn't say what you're saying it does at all. It's like trying to convince people the sky is green when we all have eyes and unless you're color blind it's clear that it is infact blue no matter how much you scream it is green.

It's totally fine not to like something, but it's weird to try and pretend that because you don't like then most people don't either.
    It is not a top 10 streamed show for overall ratings. Paramount has been trying to market it as one. Streaming charts seems to be less reliable than Rotten Tomatoes. This PR firms and studios can game the system to inflate the quality/quantity of what they sell. If Secret Invasion is a flop then SNW is a flop though Disney never comes off as desperate to give away the episodes for free as Paramount does.
    Last edited by Valentis; 09-10-2023 at 05:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    It is not a top 10 streamed show for overall ratings. Paramount has been trying to market it as one. Streaming charts seems to be less reliable than Rotten Tomatoes. This PR firms and studios can game the system to inflate the quality/quantity of what they sell. If Secret Invasion is a flop then SNW is a flop though Disney never comes off as desperate to give away the episodes for free as Paramount does.
    Secret Invasion wasn't a flop though...biases on top of biases doesn't help you.

Again, it's totally fine not to enjoy things, I didn't care for Prodigy for example, but to try and pretend that reality mirrors your own tastes is just silly. Own that it's just not to your liking, and learn to be self confident enough to be okay with the world not mirroring your tastes in everything.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 09-10-2023 at 05:25 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Although Voyager was my least favorite Star Trek (Yes! Even more than Discovery), I loved the LD episode. First, there was everyone going on about how Janeway must have found a great solution to the Tuvix problem only to go "What the #@$#@#? She outright murdered him". Plus, it was an in joke that the LD promotions and the biggest shakeup took place in an episode that revolved around Voyager, the show that was notorious for nothing ever changing and no promotions.

Did anyone watch the Paramount Plus Star Trek day feature? It pushed the new season of Discovery as the Golden Age of Star Trek (They literally said that and more than once) as if it was considered a breakthrough phenomenon and not the bottom of the barrel version o0f Star Trek that most people actually consider it to be. Yes! It was the first to have an openly gay male relationship. Full props for that. But that alone doesn't save it. So the ST Day thing was pure propaganda.

Pushing Discovery as the golden age of Star Trek will be more insulting to fans than them trying to tell us SNW is a mega big hit. TNG-DS9 are the golden age of star trek. Paramount is always trying to inflate all their streaming star trek shows. I will like to see the ratings of SNW after it airs on actual TV. They tried it with Discovery and it was a big flop. No one watched it.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Pushing Discovery as the golden age of Star Trek will be more insulting to fans than them trying to tell us SNW is a mega big hit. TNG-DS9 are the golden age of star trek. Paramount is always trying to inflate all their streaming star trek shows. I will like to see the ratings of SNW after it airs on actual TV. They tried it with Discovery and it was a big flop. No one watched it.
    It's not really insulting to anyone what so ever. Now, do I think DS9 and Next Gen are still the best Trek shows? Definitely, so in terms of quality the early 90's would be my "golden age" but in terms of profitability and sheer amount of Star Trek content available the current era definitely qualifies for that title.

And it's a flat fact that Discovery, Strange New Worlds and Lower decks were profitable for Paramount, it's unarguable for anyone to say otherwise. Paramount + has 7% of the streaming market, which while certainly lower than titans like Netflix, Amazon and Disney it's significantly better than other streamers...and the Trek shows are among the top viewed content on the service.

And the second run airings aren't flops either, they perform as well or better than other syndicated reruns and sell ad revenue at the same price as those other syndicated shows.

Again, it's totally okay that you're not a fan of the new shows. As a life long Star Wars fan I hate the sequels but on that same token I'm not about to argue against the objective fact that the sequels did really well at the box office. On top of those numbers Rey is year after year one of the best selling Halloween costumes for little girls so it's obvious that despite my not liking them there are very obviously a lot of folks who did enjoy them out there.

And it goes the other way too, I loved the Ewoks movies and Disney's Jon Carter, but objectively neither were well received by the general audience.

And I'm okay with that. I don't need everyone to share my opinion. I'm self aware enough to see when my opinions and tastes are different and self confident enough not to care and you seriously gotta learn to do the same.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 09-10-2023 at 05:49 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I pointed this out about Ms. Marvel a tv show I didn't really care for. You can't just go by the ratings unless you compare them rerun ratings and not 1st run episodes since these are essentially reruns and not new episodes.

It's not really insulting to anyone what so ever. Now, do I think DS9 and Next Gen are still the best Trek shows? Definitely, so in terms of quality the early 90's would be my "golden age" but in terms of profitability and sheer amount of Star Trek content available the current era definitely qualifies for that title.

And it's a flat fact that Discovery, Strange New Worlds and Lower decks were profitable for Paramount, it's unarguable for anyone to say otherwise. Paramount + has 7% of the streaming market, which while certainly lower than titans like Netflix, Amazon and Disney it's significantly better than other streamers...and the Trek shows are among the top viewed content on the service.

And the second run airings aren't flops either, they perform as well or better than other syndicated reruns and sell ad revenue at the same price as those other syndicated shows.

Again, it's totally okay that you're not a fan of the new shows. As a life long Star Wars fan I hate the sequels but on that same token I'm not about to argue against the objective fact that the sequels did really well at the box office. On top of those numbers Rey is year after year one of the best selling Halloween costumes for little girls so it's obvious that despite my not liking them there are very obviously a lot of folks who did enjoy them out there.

And it goes the other way too, I loved the Ewoks movies and Disney's Jon Carter, but objectively neither were well received by the general audience.

And I'm okay with that. I don't need everyone to share my opinion. I'm self aware enough to see when my opinions and tastes are different and self confident enough not to care and you seriously gotta learn to do the same.
    I also would have to say that TNG was the Golden Age of ST with DS9 (my personal favorite) very close as was TOS.

Since then, there have been shows we watched because it was the only new ST to watch, like Enterprise.

In fairness, I think SNW and especially LD are very good, as well as Prodigy. It's really only Discovery that doesn't even remotely belong in a list of good ST shows. It is kind of a Golden Age in that there are three good ST shows, or were until they removed Prodigy.

That reminds me. In addition to hawking the bottom of the barrel, Disco, as the start of the Golden Age, they talked about how we've had ten Star Trek shows: TOS, TOS animated, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Disco, SNW, LD and Picard. Notice what's missing? They wouldn't even acknowledge that Prodigy ever even existed.
    Power with Girl is better.

What's the most insulting is suggesting that the era that gave us Lower Decks isn't a golden age.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

IMO the Golden Age of Trek was the beginning of season 3 of TNG to the end of DS9 during that period we had 2 of the best Trek shows of all time along with 2 of the best movies Undiscovered Country and First Contact. We also had most of VOY and some okay films with Generations and Insurrection. This will always be the Golden Age for me.

The 2nd era would be the 79 to 89 Yeah tv wise we only got the 1st 2 seasons of TNG which aren't as bad as people make them out to be, but we also got the bulk of the TOS films and I love those movies.

I will say now is a Renaissance for Trek IMO with SNW, Season 3 of Picard, Lower Decks, Prodigy, Beyond (I loved that movie sue me) and the secret love child of Trek known as Orville. Yeah, sure DISCO is the Fart in the room but like all things it's ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

That reminds me. In addition to hawking the bottom of the barrel, Disco, as the start of the Golden Age, they talked about how we've had ten Star Trek shows: TOS, TOS animated, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Disco, SNW, LD and Picard. Notice what's missing? They wouldn't even acknowledge that Prodigy ever even existed.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Really thinking about it and rating the decades of Trek 60's to now I'd say it goes for me from best to worst.

the 90's is top of the list we had TNG basically mid-season 3 onwards, we had all of DS9, VOY till mid-season 6 and the films Undiscovered Country, Generations, First Contact, and Insurrection and also the awesome parody Galaxy Quest. Plus, the 90's was really a Golden Era for sci-fi and sci-fi related tv we had X-Files, Babylon 5, Crusade, SG-1, Red Dwarf, Farscape, SeaQuest, Sliders, Earth Final Conflict, Time Trax, Tek Wars, Lois and Clark, Superboy, Swamp Thing, Buffy, Xena, Hercules, Superforce (That's a Deep Cut), Mann and Machine (Another Deep Cut), Mantis (3rd Deep Cut), Space Above and Beyond (and yet another Deep Cut) Time Cop, Seven Days, First Wave, Lexx, Alien Nation, Highlander, Highlander the Raven, Quantum Leap, just to name the ones I remember off hand.

2nd place the 80's we had Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, the Voyage Home, Final Frontier, and the 1st 2 and half seasons of TNG.

3rd the 60's all we had was TOS but sometimes less is more.

4th place the current Era the 2020's with SNW, Picard Season 3, Orville New Horizons (Yeah not Trek but feels like it), Lower Decks, Prodigy, Very Short Treks, and Discovery (which thank the maker to quote Londo from B5 is almost over).

5th Place the 00's with the last season and half of VOY and all of ENT and Star Trek 2009 nothing amazing but all solid entries into Trek.

6th Place the 2010's Beyond and ironically Orville Season 1 and 2 helped this decade pull ahead for me Into Darkness and Picard Seasons 1 and 2 aren't awful but also not that good either and DISCO and the Short Treks were low points in Trek for me.

7th and final place the 70's TAS and TMP are both fine but not good enough to pull ahead of anyone else for me.

Kind of wonder what Phase II would have led to had it been made instead of TMP. Maybe a bit like SNW as least aesthetically, since the show tends to mix the TV show and movie aesthetics design-wise.

Probably would've looked somewhat like Galactica/Buck Rogers/Space 1999 picture-wise. Or maybe like one of the cool "deepfakes" Roddenberry project has been making.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    That's an even better idea. Given their backgrounds and it would have brought back Denise.

But was it a hit for Star Trek? Star Trek is and always has been a niche franchise there's a reason the show and films were known for reusing sets, kit bashing models for new ships, and reusing shots like Generations using the Klingon Bird of Prey explosion from Undiscovered Country.

SNW is hit for Star Trek and Paramount no doubt. It's been charting for most of the 10 episodes against bigger streaming services. That's a big win no matter how you slice it. Picard Season 3 only charted 3 times.

https://trekmovie.com/2023/09/07/sta...0-chart-again/

Picard Season 3 Gag Reel