Page 47 of 183 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    One of my biggest gripes with Enterprise was just how quickly it was adopting the look of the 24th century shows, rather than the slower progression and build up that a prequel should have. Having a predecessor to the phaser is fine, but if your phase cannon looks like a phaser, sounds like a phaser, and shoots like a phaser, it's a goddamn phaser.

And don't get me started on photon"ic" torpedoes.
    There's some stuff that they kind of tried to make TOS style, like having the engine room not have the traditional TMP-forward cylinder but somewhat closer to the TOS one, and of course T'pol's Scope.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I rewatched Star Trek 09 and Beyond last night and these really are both good films (Well, I always though Beyond was good, but 09 surprised me). 09 is a dumb film, but the dialogue, actions scenes and cinematography are all generally fantastic.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Lots of Star Trek goodness... and badness... here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I just watched DS9: What We Left Behind

The writers outlined a story for a sequel 20 years later.. it sounds phenomenal. What I wouldn't give to see that made into a reality. This sounds better than anything currently released (If you love the current Star Trek, great, but its not doing it for me)

If you haven't seen it, Shout TV has it for free.

Highly Recommended.
    Watched it a day or two ago.

The premise of the new story is sadly ironic given they killed off Nog at the beginning and Aron Eisengerg who played Nog has died since the the documentary was made.

Most amusing part to me was that I've ridiculed Avery Brooks acting in DS9 saying he went "full Shatner" in how he overacts each word in short stacatto exclamations. Then I watch the documentary and realize that is how he talks all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I rewatched Star Trek 09 and Beyond last night and these really are both good films (Well, I always though Beyond was good, but 09 surprised me). 09 is a dumb film, but the dialogue, actions scenes and cinematography are all generally fantastic.
    Beyond is one of my favorite Trek films, definitely Top 5 at least when compared to the other Trek films.

09 is maybe my favorite "messy" space movie. It's not perfect by any means, but it scratched an itch good.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Watched it a day or two ago.

The premise of the new story is sadly ironic given they killed off Nog at the beginning and Aron Eisengerg who played Nog has died since the the documentary was made.

Most amusing part to me was that I've ridiculed Avery Brooks acting in DS9 saying he went "full Shatner" in how he overacts each word in short stacatto exclamations. Then I watch the documentary and realize that is how he talks all the time.
    Yep. It makes sense considering Brooks has always been a scholar and an academic at Rutgers. I've had professors that talk just like him (especially when it comes to answering a question with a question), and they're as far and unknowledgable about Trek as they come. Shatner's interview of Brooks brought back many flashbacks for me, *especially* the professors who played jazz piano!

I do love those tales about whenever he'd have to teach remotely (via videotape back then) because of filming, and he'd conduct the class in his DS9 uniform.
    Last edited by Cyke; 04-03-2020 at 10:31 AM.

I'd expand on his point say it was the same for Deep Space Nine as well.

Fact of the matter is, no matter how good or bad Picard is or how we think the show is, it's never going to be TNG, the same way DS9 was never going to be TNG and TNG was never going to be TOS. Picard has to stand or fall on its own. I'm convinced Enterprise failed because it tried too hard to be like its predecessors TNG and Voyager from the start, and by the time it realized it needed to be its own thing, it was too late.

Of course, that doesn't mean that for Picard to improve, it must be closer to TNG. Being better and being made differently than TNG are not just two separate ideas, it's also part of the inherent appeal of the plot -- seeing a TNG hero in very un-TNG like situations.

Incredible Member

It's first season star trek. It had a few fantastic scenes on par with the best of trek, but the overall arc has some serious arrowverse like plot problems.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The writers outlined a story for a sequel 20 years later.. it sounds phenomenal. What I wouldn't give to see that made into a reality. This sounds better than anything currently released (If you love the current Star Trek, great, but its not doing it for me)

Highly Recommended.
    I watched it a week or so ago and thought it was great. Just the simple outline they came up sitting around for just one day in a writers room sounded so good. Amazon Prime has it free to watch with commercials

Incredible Member

Recently been watching ST: Deep Space Nine or DS9. Didn't watch it all the way through when it originally aired. By season 4,the writing gets really good. Although it's debatable for some as it starts to becomes more serialized. The problem with that is if you miss an episode you might be confused by certain things-sometimes even minor ones. Credit to them for making some who at first seemed like they wouldn't be important and making them matter in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    Recently been watching ST: Deep Space Nine or DS9. Didn't watch it all the way through when it originally aired. By season 4,the writing gets really good. Although it's debatable for some as it starts to becomes more serialized. The problem with that is if you miss an episode you might be confused by certain things-sometimes even minor ones. Credit to them for making some who at first seemed like they wouldn't be important and making them matter in the grand scheme of things.
    I think the serialization is why most think it got good.

It along with The X-Files, Wiseguy, and probably a few shows I'm forgetting were the first to flirt with serialization and helped bring about the golden age of television where we have now.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Ds9 > tng > ent > tos > voy > dis > tas > stp
    Sorry. I love DS9, and I would even accept the argument that from a technical standpoint (writing, effects) it was better than all other Trek. But I can't call it the best Star Trek show. While I don't adhere to the notion that Roddenberry's vision of a utopian is absolute, I do think there are certain principles and ideologies must transfer from one show to the next. It's clear in watching interviews with those behind the scenes that there was definitely an anti-Trek or anti-Federation mindset in the development of DS9, especially as the series progressed.

For me, TNG still stands as the best STAR TREK show. The first two and a half seasons were definitely rough and it was at times formulaic but in terms of characters, stories, principles, and stories I think it did the best job of conveying the essence of what makes Star Trek so wonderful.

So with that, my ranking would be:

TNG > DS9 > TOS > VOY > ENT > TAS

I struggle with how I feel about Voyager and Enterprise, and some years I switch their rankings around. I feel bad for even putting The Animated Series in this because I am almost completely neutral towards it but I guess I'll tack it on the end.

I can't rank DISCOVERY or PICARD against prior incarnations of Trek yet because it's still too early in their runs and there's not enough of a sample size of either show. But I think PICARD is far less convoluted than DISCOVERY.

Highly Recommended.
    I liked the WWLB documentary but absolutely loathed their idea for a new episode/season.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I think the serialization is why most think it got good.

It along with The X-Files, Wiseguy, and probably a few shows I'm forgetting were the first to flirt with serialization and helped bring about the golden age of television where we have now.
    I'm actually not a huge fan of serializations and I strongly think in a few years time, the era were are currently afflicted with will be known as the Dark Age of Television. So many of the shows that we associate with it ended poorly or are probably going too. Serialization works better in series that also have self-contained episodes too, such as Deep Space 9 and Avatar the Last Airbender. I say this with total sincerity, but the only recent, serialized shows that I still think are good are Steven Universe and She-Ra.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I also just watched the new DS9 docu, it's free on Tubi.

Very interesting. Especially learning how back then many Trek fans hated or complained about elements of DS9 like the darker tone, and more.. really reminds me of Trek fans now with Discovery and Picard shows. I still haven't seen the new shows, but yeah, not much has changed.

I watched DS9 when it originally aired and loved it. I also loved TNG, TOS and enjoyed Voyager. I guess I wasn't that picky then. I think I'm more picky now. I found the JJ movies alright. Like 1 and 3 fine. I still consider the TOS movies the best.

The Terry Farrel Dax story about leaving DS9 (or been let go) was very murky.. I wonder what the truth really is. I heard she wanted more $$. I really loved her character and her relationship with Sisko and Worf. sigh.
    There have been enough interviews and information passed around over the years to piece together what happened.

Terry Farrell was burned out, her contract expired, and Rick Berman treated her terribly. She was offered Becker, so she told Paramount to write her off of DS9.