Page 10 of 183 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thanks guys for the recommendations. Starfleet Academy looks interesting. Only 19 issues so it shouldn't take me long to find all of them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    The greatest thing about Star Trek: Starfleet Academy was that--with the exception of Nog--it featured original characters that weren't bound by a TV series or movie series. Main characters could be written out/killed off at any time and replaced with new ones if a story demanded it (and that did actually happen to one character during its run). I've really been wanting another Trek comic book series like that (with original comic book-only characters and a status quo that could change at any moment) ever since Starfleet Academy ended.
    Starfleet academy isn't supposed to be life and death situations though , it's just cadets.

You can always play the old starfleet academy pc game.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    The greatest thing about Star Trek: Starfleet Academy was that--with the exception of Nog--it featured original characters that weren't bound by a TV series or movie series. Main characters could be written out/killed off at any time and replaced with new ones if a story demanded it (and that did actually happen to one character during its run). I've really been wanting another Trek comic book series like that (with original comic book-only characters and a status quo that could change at any moment) ever since Starfleet Academy ended.
    Early Voyages was similar in a lot of ways.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cometman View Post
    Looking for a Star Trek comic recommendation. I know this thread is for TV and film but I didn't want to ask the same question in three different areas of the forum considering Star Trek comics were done by marvel, DC, and independents.

I just finished collecting all of the issues for the first monthly (TOS) series by DC. While I am reading those I would like to start collecting issues for another Star Trek comic. I don't care if its Voyager, TNG, DS9 etc. Anyone have a recommendation for a monthly series you have read. Thanks.
    I really liked the various IDW mini series/specials a few years back (their current ongoing's pretty good, but I preferred the variety of the minis). You also can't go wrong with Peter David written Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Starfleet academy (19 issues)
    Startrek : Early voyages (17 issues)
    Startrek Unlimited (10 issues)
    They also had Voyager and DS9 comics around that time.

They also had the 2 x-men crossover - star trek/x-men and then star trek : TNG/x-men which spin off into a novel.
    They've also crossed over with Doctor Who and The Legion of Super Heroes in recent years.

You can always play the old starfleet academy pc game.
    Which fits nicely between Ashes of Eden and The Last Round Up, for those that read the novels...
    Last edited by dupersuper; 05-19-2014 at 09:02 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpOck View Post
    I can't believe that Roberto Orci is directing Star Trek 3. Hell, I can't believe they approved his script for Into Darkness.
    It seems like a very odd and stupid decision. Why would a studio put a guy who's never directed anything in the director's chair of such a big movie, (I'm guess Star Trek 3 will have a budget comparable to [or exceeding] Into Darkness) it can't just be on the back of his writing "talent"? I know the guy is also a producer, but ****, have him direct something small first.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    It seems like a very odd and stupid decision. Why would a studio put a guy who's never directed anything in the director's chair of such a big movie, (I'm guess Star Trek 3 will have a budget comparable to [or exceeding] Into Darkness) it can't just be on the back of his writing "talent"? I know the guy is also a producer, but ****, have him direct something small first.
    Nepotism is the only answer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    Nepotism is the only answer.
    Is he related to someone important?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Is he related to someone important?
    He is BFFs with JJ Abrams (nepotism's definition includes friends as well as family).

I have never seen this question asked so here goes.

Do you guys have a favorite ship? A specific version of the Enterprise or a ship used by one of Starfleets allies?
    What about your favorite villain ship?
    I like the look of the "original" NCC 1701 ship in the "remastered" TOS episodes, along with the 1701-A, 1701-C and 1701-E.

I think the new Star Trek movies showed us Khan way too early...I think they should have saved him for the very last film in the current TOS movie series, that way we'd have something to look forward to.

What would interest me for the next TOS movie would be for the Federation/Starfleet to be caught in the middle of a war between the Borg and the Dominion (although the concept would be too huge for a two-hour movie).

Extraordinary Member

This is why DS9 was so awesome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    a number of writers have been dropped into the directors chair for a big film as their first and did just fine

Brad Bird and JJ Abrams to name two

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

This is why DS9 was so awesome.
    This is what was missing from the two Abrams films. Not enough well thought out dialogue. They were nothing but non stop action sequences. Don't get me wrong. I love a great battle scene but Star Trek has always had a nice balance of intellectual dialogue and action.

BANNED

Darkness had more of that. the first one needed to be al cool so the regular joes jumped ship.

BANNED

This is what was missing from the two Abrams films. Not enough well thought out dialogue. They were nothing but non stop action sequences. Don't get me wrong. I love a great battle scene but Star Trek has always had a nice balance of intellectual dialogue and action.
    the TV shows...movie audiences aren't going to sit still for that

sorry Trekkies, your franchise is not yours anymore