Page 100 of 183 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 2736
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I just saw the finale of Deep Space Nine and it was a perfect conclusion to the series- - except for one obvious blunder.

I loved the way they resolved the Dominion War. Most franchises would've killed the female founder on the spot for the atrocities she committed that episode, but I give a lot of credit to the writers for having her arrested and stand trial. Most won't find her punishment "satisfying", but having the villain face the legal repercussions for her actions feels very quintessentially in tune with the philosophy of Star Trek.

The conclusion of the Pah Wraiths sub plot is truly as bad as it's reputation makes it out to be. I was even on board with it at the beginning, and there were some good episodes to come out of it, such as "Covenant" and "The Assignment", but the fact that the Pah Wraiths storyline was dealt with in such a underwhelming and mundane manner, makes me suspect that they were an idea forced upon the writers by the producers.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 12-28-2021 at 02:54 PM.

Just found this on Youtube. I am sure A lot of you have seen this. But for my first time I loved it!

What we left Behind. The DS9 Documentary.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Just found this on Youtube. I am sure A lot of you have seen this. But for my first time I loved it!

I saw it in the theater, it was so great!

Kinda glad I went alone though... I'd have hated for my friends to see me crying! lol
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I saw it in the theater and then bought it on DVD.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Ultimate Member

I just saw it and was pleasantly surprised, since I generally don't care for that sort of cast-reunion-stuff, even for shows I really liked, like DS9. Kind of surreal to see various bits with Aron Eisenberg enthusing about playing Nog and theoretical 'season eight' plans for the character, when he just passed away, IIRC.

I love the actor who played Garak answering the question about whether he was really friends with Bashir, or just manipulating him for information / access, replying, "Oh, he just wanted to have sex with him."

Been watching the TOS movies-the first four, that is-on 4k (Out of the films, the remaining TOS and TNG films are not yet in 4K, although the Kelvin films, being more recent, are). Watching IV at the moment.

The Time Travel dream is a bit weird-while the first part-the CG'd actor heads and whale- (along with dialogue from later in the movie)kind of makes sense, the man falling to Earth (and in water?) and reeds with a crashing noise is just kind of odd.

Also Kirk and Spock's part of the mission would've been somewhat shorter and less complicated if they just picked up some whales from the sea.

I think that along with the TNG crew helping with First Contact, Chekhov leaving the Klingon phaser and communicator behind is sometimes brought up in fan theories for why Enterprise and Discovery look more advanced than TOS. I think it's also part of the foundation of the Khan novels, revealing they were reverse-engineered to help with building the Botany Bay.

Funny thing is, DS9 considered revisiting the Piece of the Action planet, where McCoy left his communicator, and reveal that everybody on the planet was now emulating the TOS crew.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

It would have been more difficult to find two humpback whales in the ocean. Whales can swim quite quickly in the open sea.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    It would have been more difficult to find two humpback whales in the ocean. Whales can swim quite quickly in the open sea.
    More quickly than transporters?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    More quickly than transporter?
    Weren't both Klingon and Federation transporters harder to use on moving objects during that time period?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Yeah, I'm trying to think of any TOS or movie thing where the person was moving quickly while getting transported (Not sure about Discovery season 1-2 or Enterprise). I think the pose/effect was also partially inspired by Forbidden planet, in which the characters stood still in a 'stasis beam' or something like that, not quite the same thing.

Even the Kelvinverse stuff has problems with moving objects-Only Checkov was able to successfully save Sulu and Kirk at the last second, but failed with Amanda.

Granted, George and Gracy were moving in the sea too, but according to Spock they knew what they were in for via the mind meld earlier so they probably slowed down....
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-01-2022 at 08:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member

The basic idea is that the crew would have had very long odds of finding two humpback whales, one male and one female, in the open ocean. Between how rare they were and the 23rd century crew's complete inexperience with a creature extinct for centuries they'd just fly over the ocean for endless days and hope the first two whales they found would be of different genders.

Now, this doesn't really hold up logically, but then, pretty much nothing in The Voyage Home holds up to the slightest bit of thought, and it's not really supposed to. If you can buy that whale songs on conversations with aliens that are somehow conducted over hundreds of lightyears through the vacuum of space, the Enterprise crew not being able to find whales in the wild is as believable as a ship commanded by Christopher Lloyd being able to time travel.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-03-2022 at 02:17 PM.

Did they really need a male and a female though? Kirk does say in the restaurant that his goal is to "repopulate the species" which technically isn't his main priority but that's really just the story he's kind of selling to her I think (although it is an added bonus). Adding in the probe stuff would probably confuse her further.

Kirk vs Picard: Who is the best Star Trek captain?
    https://www.space.com/kirk-vs-picard-star-trek-captain

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Kirk vs Picard: Who is the best Star Trek captain?
    https://www.space.com/kirk-vs-picard-star-trek-captain
    Picard.

With Sisko a very close second.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009