Page 101 of 183 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2736

I'm sure a ship from the 23rd century with sensors capable of detecting particles that are light years distant wouldn't have a problem finding some whales on earth.

But that would destroy the "protect the environment, idiots!" message of the film and undercut the fact that humpback whales were (I believe?) an endangered species at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Kirk vs Picard: Who is the best Star Trek captain?
    https://www.space.com/kirk-vs-picard-star-trek-captain
    Picard. I don't think it's really even a question. Kirk is by far the better cowboy, the better maverick, and arguably more fun to watch because of that, depending on one's sensibilities. But Picard is hands down the better captain.

And yes, closely followed by Sisko, and Riker.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have Janeway, who I maintain is the worst captain to headline a show yet.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

I never liked Janeway, at times it seemed like she got her crew into problems just to prove that a female captain could solve the problem. In the end in Star Trek shows I tend to not find my favorite character being the captain, on DS9 it was Bashir, on Voyager it was Paris...and so on...Enterprise was Tripp...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    On the other end of the spectrum, you have Janeway, who I maintain is the worst captain to headline a show yet.
    Have you met Michael?! Even pre-expose my true evil colours Lorca was a better captain!

Janeway was captain and single mother to her crew, and I loved her, flaws and all.
    Last edited by nx01a; 01-11-2022 at 01:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway all get A grades. Archer and Pike are B grade captains. Michael Burnham gets a C.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway all get A grades. Archer and Pike are B grade captains. Michael Burnham gets a C.
    And there ya go. Witchfan has spoken.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member

Archer and Janeway seemed almost like polar opposites. He was almost pollyanna in his optimism and naivette, while Janeway sometimes seemed to go for the confrontational approach at the drop of a hat. (Granted, their situations were *way* different. She didn't have a safe home to run back to...)

Archer and Sisko are my two favorites (although Kira, Dax, Tripp, Kes, Tilly, Paris, etc. are even bigger favorites). Then Kirk and I'm hoping, Pike (I've liked him so far!).

Janeway was bottom of the ranking, until Michael Burnham came along and grabbed that position with both hands and has been ruthlessly defending it ever since.

Season Four of Discovery is the most boring Star Trek I have ever watched. Does anyone else agree with me?

Spectacular Member

Season Four of Discovery is the most boring Star Trek I have ever watched. Does anyone else agree with me?
    I've discovered that if I'm bored with a show on TV I have better things to than hate watch. Did you know that you can find spoilers on this place called the INTERNET and then decide if something sounds interesting?

Season Five of Next Generation has two appearances by Ashley Judd as Ensign Robin Leffler. This is the first project that I saw Judd in, and she went on to bigger things.
    Season Five also introduces Bajor and the Bajorans, and sets up Deep Space Nine. Ensign Ro Laren is the first Bajoran we meet. I loved Michelle Forbes in this role.

Ultimate Member

Season Five of Next Generation has two appearances by Ashley Judd as Ensign Robin Leffler. This is the first project that I saw Judd in, and she went on to bigger things.
    Season Five also introduces Bajor and the Bajorans, and sets up Deep Space Nine. Ensign Ro Laren is the first Bajoran we meet. I loved Michelle Forbes in this role.
    Michelle Forbes' voice is pure sex. I would have loved to see her carry on on DS9, but I enjoyed Nana Visitor's Kira enough to not mind her absence.

Kirk vs Picard: Who is the best Star Trek captain?
    https://www.space.com/kirk-vs-picard-star-trek-captain
    It's Picard. I've never understood those who don't choose Picard; how anyone can love Star Trek and not think the best Captain is the one who embodies the Federation in it's purest, most idealistic form... is madness to me.

Haven't seen it, as they took it off Netflix. But can't say I'm surprised, based on Season 3. I'd recommend Lower Decks. OH MY GOODNESS, it's so good!!!! Vastly more enjoyable characters, fun stories, lots of cameos from classic Star Trek actors and in jokes. It's WONDERFUL!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-24-2022 at 02:51 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Haven't seen it, as they took it off Netflix. But can't say I'm surprised, based on Season 3. I'd recommend Lower Decks. OH MY GOODNESS, it's so good!!!! Vastly more enjoyable characters, fun stories, lots of cameos from classic Star Trek actors and in jokes. It's WONDERFUL!
    Yeah, Lower Decks is amazingly fun. I love how the jokes aren't making fun of Trek or Trek fans, but just toying with the genre tropes and vast, vast body of lore that has built up around the franchise. It's never mean-spirited.

Guess what folks?! Discovery has been renewed for a fifth season!
    https://screenrant.com/star-trek-dis...enewed-update/ maxresdefault.jpg
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Well, I guess those who like it will be pleased. Happy for them. But... that photo did make me chuckle!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, Lower Decks is amazingly fun. I love how the jokes aren't making fun of Trek or Trek fans, but just toying with the genre tropes and vast, vast body of lore that has built up around the franchise. It's never mean-spirited.
    Completely this! It's not mocking the core of the show, or fans; just ribbing all the fun silly stuff we can have with Star Trek. I love how they make Riker some crazed, adventure loving suicide mission jazz player, with a crew who live for the danger.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Not a fan of Lower Decks but that jazzy warp 5 6 7 8 killed me.

That was hilarious.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium