Page 110 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 2736

Think the ST V bridge was intended to be sort of a transitional look to TNG, It's got the same basic colors and floor carpeting, even if it's much smaller. Funny thing is the rest of the ship (Corridors, mainly) also looks like TNG because they didn't really bother to re-decorate the sets that much.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    As much as I love Star Trek, I've never loved the gangly look of the Enterprise, particularly the classic one.

But the Reliant, from Wrath of Khan, or the Defiant, from Deep Space Nine, manage to keep that Starfleet aesthetic while looking more aerodynamic and sleek to my eye (and yes, I know, it's space, spaceships don't need to be aerodynamic and can look like the Sulaco from Aliens, or whatever, but my brain wants things moving to be aerodynamic!).
    I think in the early stages of Wrath of Khan, they considered having the Reliant simply be another constitution class, similar to how TOS TV pretty much just re-used the Enterprise model for pretty much every other Federation ship that showed up (For example in The Doomsday Machine, Ultimate Computer, Tholian Web etc). But they wanted an easier-to-use model than simply using extra shots of the Enterprise model (Which was already hard to work with) and also didn't want to risk confusing audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Ships:
    1: Galaxy
    2: Sovereign
    3: Intrepid
    4: Defiant
    5: Danube class Runabout
    6: NX
    7: Crossfield (31st C Refit)
    8: Constitution (SNW redesign)

Honorable Mentions:
    >Excelsior
    >Dauntless
    >Prometheus
    >Olympic
    >Walker class/Shenzhou & Shepard class/Gagarin since they're basically the same class just flipped upside down.
    >The planned NX refit (made canon I'm told by a ship model seen in PIC)

>Andrew Probert's original design for the Enterprise C...

I do love the NX Refit I also love the Vesta and Odyssey Classes from STO and the Books.

Think the Enterprise C/Ambassador is also based a bit on early concepts for the D. They just made the D a bit more flat.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Question: If They Had Made A Deep Space Nine Movie like they did with the TNG films, what would you have wanted it to be about?

Personally I would have wanted to see a more satisfying conclusion to the Pah-Wraiths storyline.

Extraordinary Member

Ship ranking:

1. Refit Constitution Class. This is the most beautiful ship in science fiction, full-stop. It is so much better aesthetically than everything else. Nothing else comes close.

2. Sovereign Class. This design looks like it's ready for war. It has a small profile despite being extremely long and is designed with maneuverability in mind. This ship looks like it's powerful
    3. Defiant Class. This design has the plucky qualities of ships like the Millennium Falcon, and it stands out for braking the usual Nacelle rules.
    4. OG Constitution Class. It looks clunky compared to its 1979 redesign, but its dimensions are very photogenic and it's easy to tell what each section of the ship is for at a glance.
    5. Excelsior Class. The functionality of this larger design is obvious at a glance. It's not pretty, but it looks like it can take beating.
    6. Miranda Class and similar classes. They function well as smaller attack vessels.
    7. NX Class. As bad as the show was, the ship design really worked as an early Strafleet design when humanity didn't quite know what it was doing yet.

There's only one ship design I really dislike, and that's the Galaxy Class. I know that'll be controversial to some, but it just looks so cumbersome, like it should fall over at any time or take an hour to turn 90 degrees. The saucer section is ridiculously huge compared to the stardrive section and the whole design just presents a giant target that can't maneuver. It's not streamlined, not functional, and not aesthetically pleasing in any way. It's a textbook example of how not to design a ship.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    5. Excelsior Class. The functionality of this larger design is obvious at a glance. It's not pretty, but it looks like it can take beating.
    7. NX Class. As bad as the show was, the ship design really worked as an early Strafleet design when humanity didn't quite know what it was doing yet.
    There's only one ship design I really dislike, and that's the Galaxy Class. I know that'll be controversial to some, but it just looks so cumbersome, like it should fall over at any time or take an hour to turn 90 degrees. The saucer section is ridiculously huge compared to the stardrive section and the whole design just presents a giant target that can't maneuver. It's not streamlined, not functional, and not aesthetically pleasing in any way. It's a textbook example of how not to design a ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Question: If They Had Made A Deep Space Nine Movie like they did with the TNG films, what would you have wanted it to be about?

Personally I would have wanted to see a more satisfying conclusion to the Pah-Wraiths storyline.
    I'd have to agree. "What You Leave Behind" is almost perfect, but that final scene with Sisko, Dukat, and Winn in the fire caves feels rushed and shoehorned in. I think a feature film expanding upon that and eventually returning Sisko to our dimension would be the best way to go.

That said, the fanboy in me would also have squealed at the opportunity for a done-in-one TNG/DS9 crossover film.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

That DS9/TNG crossover should have been Insurrection. It's set right in the midst of the Dominion War, too. Imagine Worf commanding the Defiant kicking Jem'hadar ass alongside Riker commanding the Enterprise while Picard does his best Bruce Willis impersonation in a Changeling base.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    That DS9/TNG crossover should have been Insurrection. It's set right in the midst of the Dominion War, too. Imagine Worf commanding the Defiant kicking Jem'hadar ass alongside Riker commanding the Enterprise while Picard does his best Bruce Willis impersonation in a Changeling base.
    Insurrection is my most disliked Star Trek Movie because of missed opportunities and so much more.

1: It looks like a tv or Direct to Video movie and not a theatrical release.

2: Ignoring History, the Baku weren't native they were colonist and Picard and his crew led a few mission where colonist had to be told leave for the better good and never had an issue.

3: The healing powers of the planet could had been used to help the wounded of the Dominion War.

4: Speaking of the War Picard was annoyed at the beginning film if they were late to their destination, they'd hit monsoon season and ruin the archeological mission. Why isn't the flagship of the Federation one of the most advance ships in Starfleet at that moment not on the frontlines of the War? It's maddening.

No matter their collective flaws The Kelvin films (Personally I love Beyond and enjoy the other 2), TMP (Which some think is boring not me), Nemesis, & even Final Frontier all are better than Insurrection IMO.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I think Berman & Co. didn't see any reason to saddle everyone who wasn't watching DS9 with the whole Dominion War. The show was the black sheep that no one was watching (in their minds and according to ratings) so why not cater to the film fans with a generic sci-fi romp? Just a theory, of course.

I've actually come to appreciate Insurrection a lot more in recent years.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

They decided to set Insurrection after the Dominion War, hence the throwaway line about another ship being involved in negotiations with the Dominion. Presumably Word showed up to visit his old crew right before taking on his assignment as Federation Ambassador to Kronos.

The film is one of those that's ok the first time you watch it, an entertaining enough two hours, but if you see it multiple times it falls apart. With the other bad Star Trek films, 1, 5, Generations, and Nemesis, their flaws are so glaring that it's easy to hate them during a first viewing. Into Darkness is perhaps the most similar in that regard in that it's a fun ride the first time through, at least until the final act rips off WOK so blatantly, but it seems so stupid if you see it a second time and have any opportunity to think about the plot.

There's also mentions that the So'na were involved with Ketrocel white (In the Riker/Troi library scene).

It is set during the war, but towards the end. I think the timeline placement is around the time Nog loses his leg as Worf is off DS9 for a few episodes.

Part of the reason the effects were not up to the usual standards was due to ILM being busy with Phantom Menace. Kind of similar to what happened with Star Trek V, as I think ILM was also very busy at that time with Last Crusade, Abyss, sequels to Back To The Future/Ghostbusters etc. Also they decided to forgo practical effects for the space stuff which didn't help. There's also the collector battle which looks like a blue-screen set that they forgot to put the effects in, although there's some debate as to whether this was intentional or not. Not even Frakes is sure it seems.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-31-2022 at 03:06 PM.

New episodes of The Orville are now available on Hulu. I think that this show is better than Discovery or Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    New episodes of The Orville are now available on Hulu. I think that this show is better than Discovery or Enterprise.
    I never could get into it. There's just too much Seth MacFarlane in there for my taste. It's almost an uncanny valley effect where the writing style feels like Star Trek, but there's just something about it that's not quite right. And I'm not saying that Star Trek always has to be serious. I have a deep fondness for some of the light hearted episodes. Like The Trouble with Tribbles, Qpid, A Piece of the Action. I even love Lower Decks. But, I think Lower Decks is far more likely to reach the highs of Star Trek's best dramatic episodes and do it completely earnestly. I could see Lower Decks doing a real shot at an Inner Light for example. I can't picture The Orville doing the same.