Page 111 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2736
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'd have to agree. "What You Leave Behind" is almost perfect, but that final scene with Sisko, Dukat, and Winn in the fire caves feels rushed and shoehorned in. I think a feature film expanding upon that and eventually returning Sisko to our dimension would be the best way to go.

That said, the fanboy in me would also have squealed at the opportunity for a done-in-one TNG/DS9 crossover film.
    I thought the Pah Wraiths storyline could have been great. The Assignment, the Wraiths' first appearance might be the scariest episode to me in all of Star Trek. Also, Gul Dukat's interest in the Wraiths actually fit perfectly with his character, desperately wanting to be loved by the Bajoran people. However, it was only a subplot that could have succeeded if it was the main storyline, not playing second fiddle to the Dominion War. You either have to go all out with animatronic/cgi Pah Wraith demons or not bother at all.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 06-02-2022 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I never could get into it. There's just too much Seth MacFarlane in there for my taste. It's almost an uncanny valley effect where the writing style feels like Star Trek, but there's just something about it that's not quite right. And I'm not saying that Star Trek always has to be serious. I have a deep fondness for some of the light hearted episodes. Like The Trouble with Tribbles, Qpid, A Piece of the Action. I even love Lower Decks. But, I think Lower Decks is far more likely to reach the highs of Star Trek's best dramatic episodes and do it completely earnestly. I could see Lower Decks doing a real shot at an Inner Light for example. I can't picture The Orville doing the same.
    The new season started with an episode about suicide and the show is pretty much a start up drama like 90's Trek. It really felt like I watching TNG, DS9, or VOY today. Also the effects are fantastic they were good before, but major upgrade.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

In how many centuries do you think it would take for humankind to become the 'Star Trek' version of future Earth? ( i.e. world peace, abolition of capitalism, replicators, teleportation, artificial gravity, holograms etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    In how many centuries do you think it would take for humankind to become the 'Star Trek' version of future Earth? ( i.e. world peace, abolition of capitalism, replicators, teleportation, artificial gravity, holograms etc)
    I think we're more on track for the Mirror Universe.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I'm not sure we'll survive long enough to get even there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I'm not sure we'll survive long enough to get even there.
    Yeah, I'm pretty pessimistic of late so my refrain is," Star Trek is every bit the fantasy as Star Wars because we are never getting off this rock."
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

By the 23rd or 24th century possibly a Mars Colony, but more in line with Babylon 5 than anything Star Trek. Also by then possibly some Space Stations in our solar system.

Maybe in a 1,000 years our 1st exploration and colonies on Earth like planets in other galaxies with Generational ships as transports.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    In fairness, the early 21st Century wasn't a much of a picnic in the Trek universe either. If anything we're exactly on track for the Prime Universe.

American Perspective here

The Civil War, 2 World Wars, the Great Depression & Dust Bowl, Slavery, Jim Crow, Lynchings, the Vietnam War, The 60's Assassinations, HIV/ AIDS epidemic, Crack and Heroin Epidemic in the 70's/80's, 9/11, Oklahoma City Bombing, the Cold War and 50 years of constant fear of Nuclear Annihilation.

While things aren't great they're also far from the worst or even close. I get things can look bad now, but as Gene as would say about Star Trek the future doesn't have to end with a bomb.

Honestly that's my main issue with Discovery and Picard their pessimistic looks of the Future and the Federation. Star Trek is about Hope for the Future and looking here we need it. So watch some SNW or Orville.

If we ever get off this rock, B5 is definitely a more reasonable future with The Expanse as a transition phase.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Don't think we'll quite make it as far in space stuff. Warp is still highly improbable, for example.

I don't think the future of the Gundam series is too far far-fetched outside of the giant robots and newtypes. O'neill style Space colonies/stations, a limited colonization/industry on some of the planets, moons, maybe even asteroids in our system.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    In fairness, the early 21st Century wasn't a much of a picnic in the Trek universe either. If anything we're exactly on track for the Prime Universe.
    Nah, with the rise of racism, sexism and a growing general trend for anti-science and authoritarism we're not going to develop into anything special.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Nah, with the rise of racism, sexism and a growing general trend for anti-science and authoritarism we're not going to develop into anything special.
    No offense but if you think racism, sexism, and anti-science sentiment is worst today then Oh 30 or even 20 years ago please pick up a history book.

We have a long way to go as a society but things are better. If anyone thinks things were better during some period in the 21st century than they are now that's means you were living in a bubble and not seeing the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    No offense but if you think racism, sexism, and anti-science sentiment is worst today then Oh 30 or even 20 years ago please pick up a history book.

We have a long way to go as a society but things are better. If anyone thinks things were better during some period in the 21st century than they are now that's means you were living in a bubble and not seeing the real world.
    I'm not saying they are worse now than before but they are trending towards going back to where we were before. We had a few decades of solid progress but it looks like it's on the road to quickly be erased.
    We're taking major steps back in women's rights by rolling back rights on abortion, and every time you turn around health care providers and businesses are shrinking coverage on maternal leave.

We're gerrymandering the hell out of districts all through the south to fracture minority voting blocs, and passing laws that generally make it harder for minorities to vote in the first place.

Trans-rights are being eroded at record pace, and once they are stripped its only a matter of time before the Right goes after broader attacks on gay marriage.

25% of the US still thinks Covid is completely made up, and a further 30% believe atleast three mistruths .

The United States spends more on military spending than the next ten nations combined: an estimated $600 billion annually. Meanwhile, the entire budgets of NASA and the National Science Foundation, combined, is slightly less than $25 billion, or about 4% of our military budget.

Millenials are the first generation to be worse off than their parents, and because of that the birth rate has plummeted by twenty percent.

None of these are halmarks of a bright future.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 06-04-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm not saying they are worse now than before but they are trending towards going back to where we were before. We had a few decades of solid progress but it looks like it's on the road to quickly be erased.
    We're taking major steps back in women's rights by rolling back rights on abortion, and every time you turn around health care providers and businesses are shrinking coverage on maternal leave.

We're gerrymandering the hell out of districts all through the south to fracture minority voting blocs, and passing laws that generally make it harder for minorities to vote in the first place.

Trans-rights are being eroded at record pace, and once they are stripped its only a matter of time before the Right goes after broader attacks on gay marriage.

25% of the US still thinks Covid is completely made up, and a further 30% believe atleast three mistruths .

The United States spends more on military spending than the next ten nations combined: an estimated $600 billion annually. Meanwhile, the entire budgets of NASA and the National Science Foundation, combined, is slightly less than $25 billion, or about 4% of our military budget.

Millenials are the first generation to be worse off than their parents, and because of that the birth rate has plummeted by twenty percent.

None of these are halmarks of a bright future.
    In the 80's kids were kicked out of school because they were HIV Positive. Also in the 80's Dentist and Doctors refused patients long after the medical community knew HIV/AIDS weren't air born.

In 2004 most Americans didn't support gay marriage even Barack Obama didn't public support in 2008 only supporting civil unions. Trans rights weren't even a thing until the last few years.

I'm liberal but

1: Both parties Gerrymander.

2: We've been out spending the world on Military since the 80's and sadly parts of the left are the biggest against funding NASA because they feel the money could be better used on Social programs for the poor.

As for Abortion I don't like what's happening, but it was always a chance if we got a conservative court.

When I hear things are worse now than a few years ago I think "God you lived a Privileged Life" No time is easy there was never a good old days we fight for what's right and slowly things get better it's always been an uphill battle and quite frankly we are further up the hill than before because while we might stumble things are still as a whole better.

Which why I love Trek when it's showing us what the future can be once we get to the top of that hill.