Page 119 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2736

So they're releasing the updated 4K TOS movie set with V and VI (They're also available separately for anybody who got the original set, which for some reason only included the first four films) as well as the new version of TMP's director's cut (Which includes some new effects/sound fixes in addition to the 2001 FX) next week.

Also the Light and Magic series has some Star Trek stuff, although it's mainly focused on the Genesis CG effect.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Me too.

I quite enjoyed the Kelvinverse and have been hoping Jayla would return as the Chekhov replacement.

She was a fun character.
    I have a soft spot for Beyond.

The first two Kelvinverse films didn't "feel right" to me. Like they were allright entertainment but just like with the Star Wars sequels later, it felt like the director didn't quite understood the source material and the need to maintain consistency with what was established beforehand.

Though luckily they were alternate universe, so there was always that easy "doesn't hurt what i like" door to go through and shake off worries.

Beyond meanwhile, i really enjoyed, though i can't put my finger on what exactly made it click for me whereas the previous two didn't quite do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

The first two Kelvinverse films didn't "feel right" to me. Like they were allright entertainment but just like with the Star Wars sequels later, it felt like the director didn't quite understood the source material and the need to maintain consistency with what was established beforehand.

Though luckily they were alternate universe, so there was always that easy "doesn't hurt what i like" door to go through and shake off worries.

Beyond meanwhile, i really enjoyed, though i can't put my finger on what exactly made it click for me whereas the previous two didn't quite do it.
    I liked 2009 and didn't think Into Darkness was the worst ST film. But I loved Beyond it's literally in my top 5 of Trek films behind TWOK, Undiscovered Country, Voyage Home, and First Contact.

This is a small thing, but the JJ directed Kelvin films were fast I mean not only in pacing but literally. Warp takes weeks sometimes to reach deep space locations yet 2009 and Into Darkness acted like the Vulcan and Klingon home worlds were a few hours aways with the films pacing. Also, in 2009 Spock took the turbo lift from the shuttle bay to bridge and it took a second to reach. These are two of the furthest points on the ship and it took a second Turbo lift scenes are a staple in Trek and it takes time to get from point A and B not magically getting there in a second.

Beyond had that wonderful beginning where there traveling thru warp and Kirk is making his captain's log about life on the Enterprise which ends with a scene of him and Bones having a drink it all just felt like Trek to me. Last the scene of Enterprise entering Yorktown Station brought a sense of awe I haven't seen in a Trek film since perhaps the inside of V'Ger.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 09-02-2022 at 06:30 PM.

The main 'fanon' explanation I think is that the data that the Federation got from the Narada (Which is apparently a fusion of 24th century Romulan and salvaged Borg tech-fitting of course since Romulans are working on such a ship in PICARD) or something like that and that's why everything looks and moves different different from TOS. The Klingons also had it for a while too I think which could explain why their stuff changed a bit too.

There's the line about Scotty saying that they'd get Spock to Vulcan in four days in TMP but that really didn't specify anything about it being at warp-presumably they'd have to give the ship "the proper shakedown" plus presumably Kirk would have to go through a debriefing about what happened. So maybe that would've taken a couple of days to sort out before heading to Vulcan afterward if Spock had wanted that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The main 'fanon' explanation I think is that the data that the Federation got from the Narada (Which is apparently a fusion of 24th century Romulan and salvaged Borg tech-fitting of course since Romulans are working on such a ship in PICARD) or something like that and that's why everything looks and moves different different from TOS. The Klingons also had it for a while too I think which could explain why their stuff changed a bit too.
    The "Narada had Borg technology" idea predated Picard; it was a plot point in the tie-in prequel comic (the Tal Shiar give Nero some pieces of Borg tech that transform his mining ship into the squid-like design we see in the movies to avenge Romulus). While the idea of the Romulans having a Borg cube is eerily similar, Picard has pretty well overwritten everything in the comic.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

Star Trek Beyond is the best Star Trek since Voyager. It does not have many of the JJ Abramisms that I know turned some people off and it is better than the new shows Strange New Worlds, Picard and Discovery. I found Strange New Worlds way too high school, Picard too empty, Discovery plain hopeless.

I do hope we get a Star Trek 4. Paramount needs to have some trust in some of the old film series after the success of Top Gun Maverick.

There's the line about Scotty saying that they'd get Spock to Vulcan in four days in TMP but that really didn't specify anything about it being at warp-presumably they'd have to give the ship "the proper shakedown" plus presumably Kirk would have to go through a debriefing about what happened. So maybe that would've taken a couple of days to sort out before heading to Vulcan afterward if Spock had wanted that.
    Due to the fact it's a alternate timeline the changes don't bother me from a story point of view and 2009 in particular was a fun film and I liked it. It's just those elements I mentioned made it feel less like a Trek film and more like an action sci-fi film set in the Trek universe if that makes sense and it was something Beyond got right to me to feel more like Trek.

Ironically the crew members who Krall kills upside down in "Beyond" are supposed to be the Kelvinverse version of Tomlinson and Martine from the original series Balance of Terror (Tomlinson dies in that episode).

In SNW Quality of Mercy's possible future version of BOT Martine dies. So that couple can't get a break in any universe....

Boisterously Confused

When we start thinking about it that hard, we're gonna break it. The franchises' physics will not work, because nobody took the time to work it out (yeah, I've seen the fan and even official stuff, but the scripts don't consistently follow them). Focus on the stories, let the inconsistencies go.

Looks like people will get to re-enact "I have had...enough of...YOU!" in Playmobil form.

https://blog.trekcore.com/2022/09/pl...0jrBV9_t6nAm8A

So the new director's cut disc has some cool details such as originally, Spock was going to be much more haggard when doing the Kolinahr thing, with extremely long hair and cobbled together clothing, instead of the slightly longer hair and Vulcan robes from the movie. There were some photo tests done with Nimoy with the look. Looks a bit like Khan with a bit of caveman thrown in (although he's clean shaven).

10 Underrated Star Trek: The Next Generation Episodes to Include in Your 35th Anniversary Watchlist

Which episodes of TNG do you think are the most underrated? I decided to go by season.

S1: Home Soil
    S2: Contagion
    S3: Tin Man
    S4: The Nth Degree
    S5: Conundrum
    S6: Schisms
    S7: Masks
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Contagion's pretty good for a number of reasons.

-Establishes's Picard's archaeology hobby
    -....and his Tea Earl Grey, hot line
    -The gateway left behind by a lost civilization itself kind of reminds me of Land Of The Lost, which had several Trek alumni (Including Walter Koenig) working on it.
    -First destruction of a Galaxy class ship and it's a pretty cool effect.
    -Malfunctioning turbolift scene. Looks a bit goofy but also kind of suspenseful as well because if Geordi hadn't made it the Enterprise would've suffered the same fate.
    -Carolyn Seymour as the Romulan Commander. (Not the first female one since TOS already covered that). She'd later play a different one in "Face of the Enemy" (Where Troi becomes a Romulan as a spy).

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Which episodes of TNG do you think are the most underrated? I decided to go by season.

S1: Home Soil
    S2: Contagion
    S3: Tin Man
    S4: The Nth Degree
    S5: Conundrum
    S6: Schisms
    S7: Masks
    S1: The Arsenal of Freedom
    S2: Where Silence Has Lease
    S3: Transfigurations
    S4: Half A Life
    S5: Disaster
    S6: Timescape
    S7: Genesis
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Season 1: Tie Too Short a Season and When the Bough Breaks.

Season 2: Another Tie Between Schizoid Man and The Icarus Factor.

Season 3: The Vengeance Factor.

Season 4: Tie again Future Imperfect and Clues.

Season 5: The Game (Me putting a Wesley episode is very telling about how good it was).

Season 6: Schisms.

Season 7: Dark Page.

Yeah, I like mysteries