Page 140 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 2736

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I was considering watching the last season of the Orville (I'd seen some of the first season, but Gordon, in particular, was super-annoying), but I am a big fan of Lower Decks, and not of toxic fandoms, so I think I'll pass if this is the attitude coming from Orville fans.

I like all sorts of sci-fi, Star Trek *and* Star Wars *and* Firefly *and* Babylon 5, etc. The idea that liking one necessitates crapping on others, seems weird to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Anthony W doesn't represent all Orville fans, trust me. He's just one of those people who mistakes having relentless negativity as a personality trait is cool/interesting.
    My interactions with Orville fans has been largely negative, too, which put me off the show more.

Most act like the toxic misogynistic Star Wars and Ghostbusters fans I dislike being around.

I have never had that experience with Trekkies.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Well you don't have to iteract with the fandom to enjoy the show. I'd recommend watching it, as it's VERY good!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    My interactions with Orville fans has been largely negative, too, which put me off the show more.

Most act like the toxic misogynistic Star Wars and Ghostbusters fans I dislike being around.

I have never had that experience with Trekkies.
    Oh, don't worry when the main villain of season 3 gave a speech about wanting to keep Aliens off their world and keep their race pure many of those guys jump ship. Apparently, they felt personally attacked and I say if a speech like that makes you feel like you're being attacked then good and don't let the door hit on the backside on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I was considering watching the last season of the Orville (I'd seen some of the first season, but Gordon, in particular, was super-annoying), but I am a big fan of Lower Decks, and not of toxic fandoms, so I think I'll pass if this is the attitude coming from Orville fans.

I like all sorts of sci-fi, Star Trek *and* Star Wars *and* Firefly *and* Babylon 5, etc. The idea that liking one necessitates crapping on others, seems weird to me.
    I wouldn't say one person counts as a fandom. Plus you're going to find that in every fandom. There are ST fans who do that to the Orville as if you can't like a bunch of different things. Keep in mind that his post was a response to my post comparing the Orville to Lower Decks and saying how I loved them both.

I did praise the Orville for directly addressing some things and explaining them and for usually going full-on TOS and addressing social issues. But that's BECAUSE it gets back to the roots of Star Trek.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 04-10-2023 at 09:37 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Anyone else notice how many terminal illnesses there are in the ST universe? For a futuristic utopia, they seem to still have a lot of disease. McCoy got one in TOS. Riker's mother (it's not outright stated that's what killed here but it's heavily implied). Dr. M'Benga's daughter. Riker's son (sensing a theme here), Pike in his chair, that little girl in Into Darkness. For a spacefaring society, the Federation has a lot of illnesses.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Anyone else notice how many terminal illnesses there are in the ST universe? For a futuristic utopia, they seem to still have a lot of disease. McCoy got one in TOS. Riker's mother (it's not outright stated that's what killed here but it's heavily implied). Dr. M'Benga's daughter. Riker's son (sensing a theme here), Pike in his chair, that little girl in Into Darkness. For a spacefaring society, the Federation has a lot of illnesses.
    I'd also throw in Dr. McCoy's condition in "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky". One could think that these are rare diseases that present day doctors are unable to differentiate from other more common conditions. But there was an episode of TNG where Dr. Crusher is talking about headaches being exceedingly rare in that age. I'd also imagine the vaccine regimen for Starfleet personnel would be rather extensive as well.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

That's not so weird considering how many other species they regularly encounter. All types of illnesses would be spread to populations not used to them, not to mention whatever natural stuff is floating around in space in general.

I don't think that Pike's condition should count. It wasn't a disease, it was acute radiation poisoning.

Star Trek might be home to super advanced science and technology, near utopian at times, but that does not preclude the fact that people still die from diseases.

Look at current advancements compared to the dark ages.

It probably would look like now compared to the 2260s.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-12-2023 at 09:01 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

^Dr. McCoy agrees with that-half the dialogue in the hospital scene in Star Trek IV is comparing everything to medieval methods.

Speaking of McCoy, that latest developments in Picard certainly justify some of his fears. Although I wonder if he'd be able to spot the DNA code thingy that even Crusher missed-one nitpick of TWOK is that, even after Chechov directly comes out and says it ("He put creatures in our bodies, to control our minds!"), McCoy doesn't seem to bother double-checking him and Terell to see if they're still in there? Even saying maybe McCoy was taking Checov and Terrel's word for it that they "beat" the brainwashing is kind of stretching it....
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-13-2023 at 07:35 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I just looked it up and the Borg have been used like 50 times and most of their appearances are bad so here on the ones I like.

Most of the TNG uses were good with their introduction in Q Who and then later appearances in Best of Both Worlds I and II, & I Borg. Now the 2 Lore episodes "Decent" are IMO not a good use of them. You know what thinking about it if they had revealed in Season 1 of Picard that Hugh was working with the Tal Shiar to stop the Synths due to Lore's actions in Decent that would have been a good twist. As for First Contact it's in my top 3 of Trek films so obviously good use of them.

DS9 only used them in Emissary with Sisko's Backstory and that was an excellent use of them.

VOY god did they beat that dead horse with 23 appearances and only 9 IMO good episodes. Unity, Scorpion I and II, Raven (Seven's Backstory), Unimatrix Zero I and II, Hope and Fear (Dauntless Episode), Survival Instinct (3 Ex-Borg Angry with 7 for once reconnecting them to the collective), & Child's Play (Icheb's Backstory).

ENT had one appearance and it was great Regeneration this episode made the Borg scary again after years of them being used to death on VOY.

PIC Season 1 and 2 as I mentioned used them as filler and had their stories had no effect on the plot and no resolution to them particularly season 1. Now Season 2 could be argued had resolution and it was the creation of the New Borg Subgroup but in all honesty all it was, was a way to write out Jurati which was stupid because she simply could have gone back to Daystrom or stayed with the Synths no need for the Borg to be in the story. I only good thing to them in Season two was getting to see the new ships engage them it was as much fun as First Contact to have all these new ships appearing all at once.

As for season 3 what we've seen so far is the best use of the Borg since Regeneration and help to explain some plot holes like how Picard could still hear the Borg in First Contact.

My top Borg episodes of past series...

TNG:
    "Q Who"
    "The Best of Both Worlds"
    "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II"
    "I Borg"
    "Descent"
    "Descent, Part II"

DS9: "Emissary"

Star Trek: First Contact

VOY:
    "Unity"
    "Scorpion"
    "Scorpion, Part II"
    "The Raven"
    "Living Witness"
    "One"
    "Hope and Fear"
    "Drone"
    "Infinite Regress"
    "Dark Frontier"
    "Shattered"
    "Endgame"

ENT: "Regeneration"
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mighty Member

Picard Spinoff Star Trek: Legacy Still Not Happening, Confirms Showrunner

Terry Matalas: Let me be clear - THERE IS NOTHING IN DEVELOPMENT AT PARAMOUNT - Again, I need to be clear on this. This is just a pie-in-the-sky wish on my part. There is nothing in development. It would be amazing if one day they came to me and said they were interested, but as of press time, it's little more than a "hey, wouldn't that be neat!" But hey, stranger things have happened!

Interesting thing about the TNG appearances is they kind of changed the Borg every time they showed up, instead of just making them some kind of zombie army every time.

Q Who seemed to imply they were mostly interested in technology, and that instead of converting entire species were probably born inside the ship somehow as we see with the baby.

Best of Both Worlds introduced the Assimilation stuff but it was kind of inferred that Picard's case was unique, possibly the first one but that others would follow.

I Borg seemed to introduce more of the conversion stuff more directly, but even Picard stated that the Borg aren't as interested in assimilating directly.

Descent of course featured a largely unique Borg variant who were individuals.

...and then First Contact introduced the Queen etc.

Not as familiar with any changes in Voyager as I haven't really given it a rewatch.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Happy Picard Week!

(According to ST Fleet Command)

Anywho, what is everyone's top 5 favorite Picard moments?

Mine would be:

5. Yesterday's Enterprise
    The whole play between Tasha & Guinan of having to send the C back in time. He trusts his crew.

4. Disengage
    The Scene. 'Nuff said.

3. Best of Both Worlds part 2
    "Sleep ... Data."

2. Measure of a Man
    "Starfleet was founded to seek out new life. Well, there it sits!"

1. Chain of Command part 2
    "There are 4 lights!"