Page 150 of 183 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 2736

Think it's a bit like TOS in that regard, Kirk, McCoy, Spock got character development but that was it. Even McCoy got a bit shortchanged-although he did have a few romantic interests there's an interesting backstory about his ex-wife and estranged daughter that was going to be mentioned but the episode plot was changed and became The Way To Eden. She did get a name drop in TAS though and the ex-wife is mentioned in the Kelvin continuity. Maybe if SNW brings in McCoy....

TNG/DS9/VOY and even ENT were kind of more ensemble shows and ran long enough for all the characters to get spotlights. Detmer, Rhys, Bryce, Owusekun don't really get a lot of development apart from a few 'cool' moments here and there, or the occasional away team episode.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Was looking up some Picard videos on YouTube and in the videos that came up was one that said "Picard Season 3 isn't woke" there's been a few of these since the season came out and I have a question.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I have a serious question for anyone who considers themselves conservative but more "Anti-Woke" who also likes Star Trek. My question is why do you like Star Trek? Star Trek arguably more than any other franchise has been Left, Liberal, Woke whatever you want to call it since day one and I honestly don't understand fans who complain about "Wokeness" and also claim to be fans of Trek.

Having seen this topic come up many times before, they're likely going to say Trek didn't used to have messages "shoved down our throats" and/or "were more subtle."

Being a member of a few 'minorities' myself (I just love when people preface statements like this), my only complaint about current Trek's handling of today's issues is that the characters always seem overly emotional when dealing with/discussing them. That might just be my general distaste for all the crying and overwrought histrionics from supposed professionals, and I freely admit that might be colouring my views.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

The only reason TOS was more subtle with the social messaging was because NBC wouldn't let them be more overt.

Of course, the "anti-woke" Star Trek fans prefer their messages to be about some alien race being treated unfairly rather than human homosexuals or transgender individuals being treated unfairly.
    Last edited by Malvolio; 06-05-2023 at 05:01 PM.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Was looking up some Picard videos on YouTube and in the videos that came up was one that said "Picard Season 3 isn't woke" there's been a few of these since the season came out and I have a question.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I have a serious question for anyone who considers themselves conservative but more "Anti-Woke" who also likes Star Trek. My question is why do you like Star Trek? Star Trek arguably more than any other franchise has been Left, Liberal, Woke whatever you want to call it since day one and I honestly don't understand fans who complain about "Wokeness" and also claim to be fans of Trek.
    I've never understood it.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Having seen this topic come up many times before, they're likely going to say Trek didn't used to have messages "shoved down our throats" and/or "were more subtle."
    Except for that time Kirk totally shoved his tongue down Uhura's throat?

After watching all this stuff with Elon Musk and Twitter unfold, it is even more infuriating that a Star Trek television show ever gave positive lip service to the man. I think the early star Trek Discovery writers and staff should frankly be ashamed they propped up a personality cult and ego of an open bigot. They didn't even do one reference to him, but two, as Tilly went to a high school named after him.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

The new Star Trek shows have transpeople in them, therefore they are woke. Star Trek Picard S3 has no transpeople in it, therefore it isn't woke.

There was the season 5 episode of TNG where Riker falls in love with a woman who was Androgynous? Not sure where that fits or if that even does fit, But there was not a huge outcry about that then if I remember right., It was just another episode. I would imagine if that was aired for the first time today people would throw a fit.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    There was the season 5 episode of TNG where Riker falls in love with a woman who was Androgynous? Not sure where that fits or if that even does fit, But there was not a huge outcry about that then if I remember right., It was just another episode. I would imagine if that was aired for the first time today people would throw a fit.
    Trans people really only became a cultural issue recently though and a lot of the LGBT themes in the 90's shows were coded with these people being aliens. Some aliens got 6 arms, some are blue and some have no gender, that's all wacky stuffy. Nowadays these people are a lot more discerning in their media and do recognize coded LGBT themes. Like there was an outcry when a library announced its new mascot was going to be a they/them alien; https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/ne...s-mascot-tala/

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The new Star Trek shows have transpeople in them, therefore they are woke. Star Trek Picard S3 has no transpeople in it, therefore it isn't woke.
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Star Trek used a lot of coding even back in the 1960s.

"Backslash" or the current vernacular "slash" fiction was birthed out of the Kirk/Spock subtext in the 1960s.

Riker was already mentioned with the Outcast episode that touched on LGBTQ+ issues.

Then you have Dax whom was coded as trans, which paved the way for actual out trans character Gray.

Bashir/Garak also birthed a new round of Trek slash.

Kelvin Sulu was gay.

That's just the big ones before the recent series.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

After watching all this stuff with Elon Musk and Twitter unfold, it is even more infuriating that a Star Trek television show ever gave positive lip service to the man. I think the early star Trek Discovery writers and staff should frankly be ashamed they propped up a personality cult and ego of an open bigot. They didn't even do one reference to him, but two, as Tilly went to a high school named after him.
    We've had plenty of schools, towns etc. named for Andrew Jackson before we realized what a racist he was.
    Watching television is not an activity.

For First Contact, some of the marketing for Neal Mcdonough's character Lt.Hawk stated he was gay, but nothing in the actual movie.

For the Musk thing,

It was kind of Lorca saying that....

Also not the only time:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Cortez
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-09-2023 at 08:50 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Before he really started showing his ass, Elon Musk was considered a left wing hero simply because climate change is a left wing issue and he was pioneering the electric car thing. I'm sure they regret it but I don't think they should be ashamed of not being psychic