Page 2 of 182 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    BANNED

They can always forget about the Prime Directive when the plot demands it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Legionnaire Sarigar View Post
    They can always forget about the Prime Directive when the plot demands it.
    Kirk went through somewhat of a story arc in season two where he would constantly weasel himself out of the Prime Directive because he thought it the right thing to do in the short run and he would usually leave the planet to their own devices (one time even saying ''well, good luck with that''. ) to a turning point where he finds out about a Federation commander accidentally reinventing The Nazi Party's racism and Final Solution trying to help an alien civilization. His last words was him regretting his interfernce, after that Kirk was very much fanatical about it and some episodes after that were against Rogue Federation Agents breaking it in selfish ways.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Love TNG, and DS9. Two best series in the franchise.

Yes, Troi was the ships counselor, but her job was to state the obvious. So she ended up pretty useless.

My favorite character was probably Data. Picard was a good character, when he didn't have hard on for the Prime Directive. "yes, this planet will explode, killing everyone on it. Clearly, the enlightened and moral thing to do is let them all die!" Seriously?
    I gotta watch that episode, which one was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    I gotta watch that episode, which one was it?
    Pen Pals and Homeward are two that come to mind. To be fair, Picard did relent in Pen Pals, but he clearly didn't want to.

Sci Fi Debis does a pretty good job breaking it down:
    http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/zprimedirective.php
    Life is but a dream

BANNED

Love TNG, and DS9. Two best series in the franchise.

Yes, Troi was the ships counselor, but her job was to state the obvious. So she ended up pretty useless.

My favorite character was probably Data. Picard was a good character, when he didn't have hard on for the Prime Directive. "yes, this planet will explode, killing everyone on it. Clearly, the enlightened and moral thing to do is let them all die!" Seriously?
    Pen Pals and Homeward are two that come to mind. To be fair, Picard did relent in Pen Pals, but he clearly didn't want to.

Sci Fi Debis does a pretty good job breaking it down:
    http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/zprimedirective.php
    Interesting, I haven't watched any of those episodes (still pretty new to Trek) though I liked that Kirk comparison, how it somehow became a dogma, maybe it somehow had to do with that story arc I mentioned. A Federation created Nazi planet scared the hell out of Kirk. I really didn't like some of the false dichonomies he used as examples, though, it hurt his argument even if I agreed with the general message. I wonder about those 9 Prime Directive breaches in Picard's record, though.

It seems that the love for a Trek series is proportional to the amount of Prime Directive episodes.

BTDubs, searching Kirk and Prime Directive in Youtube gives you this:

I love Captain Kirk.
    Last edited by Vidocq; 05-04-2014 at 03:31 AM.

BANNED

The Prime Directive got slammed in Into Darkness, so we won't be seeing more of it on the screen.

BANNED

The Prime Directive got slammed in Into Darkness, so we won't be seeing more of it on the screen.
    I don't remember that movie that well, how was the Prime Directive Slammed?

The Prime Directive was considerably more laxed in the 23th century, it wasn't a breach to save a planet without being seen, or you could breach it to avoid the destruction of a civilization.

BANNED

Kirk made it clear he thought it was stupid and he had not learned the supposed error of his ways before the end.

BANNED

Kirk made it clear he thought it was stupid and he had not learned the supposed error of his ways before the end.
    Oh, another reason not to like Into The Darkness, then.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Troi nor Dr. Crusher were really under utilized by the writers. Both characters were basically defined by their jobs and their gender for the entirety of the run. Which is quite sad because all of the other principle cast members (save Yar) were fully fleshed out characters by the end of the show. Heck, I'd almost say that Ro Laren had better growth than either Troi and Crusher (side note, I am still bummed that she didn't join DS9's cast. I love Kira but Ro is just so much cooler). The few brief times when Troi & Crusher showed any kind of growth were standout episodes (like when Troi was promoted or Crusher dealt with the terrorist (second side note: I hate that magic sex ghost episode)).

BANNED

I just learned that in the TNG Episode the Offspring there were supposed to be same sex couples around the bar for Lal to see, not making a big deal out of it, they would just be there in the background, not even kissing just there and the producers fought against.

What happen to you, Star Trek? You used to be cool.

http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/t164.php

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    Troi nor Dr. Crusher were really under utilized by the writers. Both characters were basically defined by their jobs and their gender for the entirety of the run. Which is quite sad because all of the other principle cast members (save Yar) were fully fleshed out characters by the end of the show. Heck, I'd almost say that Ro Laren had better growth than either Troi and Crusher (side note, I am still bummed that she didn't join DS9's cast. I love Kira but Ro is just so much cooler). The few brief times when Troi & Crusher showed any kind of growth were standout episodes (like when Troi was promoted or Crusher dealt with the terrorist (second side note: I hate that magic sex ghost episode)).

Whatever happened to the actress who played Ro Laren? I haven't heard anything about her since she left TNG. Does she even do conventions?

BANNED

Whatever happened to the actress who played Ro Laren?
    Watch Battlestar Galactica. She played the kickass commander Cain of the battlestar Pegasus.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Which Star Trek shows are on Netflix UK, does anyone know? I've only ever seen the intial episode of Enterprise and couldn't really get into it, but I guess if it was on Netflix I could give it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    (second side note: I hate that magic sex ghost episode)).
    Nooooooooo don't remind me!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Whatever happened to the actress who played Ro Laren? I haven't heard anything about her since she left TNG. Does she even do conventions?
    Last time i recall seeing her on tv was in the 2nd season of true blood where she was the maenad , the evil big bad of that season.