Page 24 of 183 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Apparentally there's been sort of a feud going on for years between Mulgrew and Ryan. Mulgrew felt that Ryan sort of replaced her as the show's 'star', or something like that (Didn't help that Ryan was dating Braga at one point). They tend not to name names though.

Makes you wonder, apart from the TNG actors who mostly appear close, did any of the other crews really get along behind the scenes? There seemed to be a problem between Shatner and almost everybody else-with the exception of oddly enough, Nimoy and Kelley (Although reportedly the friendship with Nimoy didn't develop quite that quickly) is well noted (especially with Takei). Not sure about the ENT, DS9 and Nutrek crews though.
    That totally makes sense. You're the top billing. Then all of a sudden the producers introduce a younger, WAY hotter female, wearing much sexier clothing, and then focus the "discovery of humanity" episodes all on her (and the Doctor).

OF COURSE Mulgrew would feel resentment.

Quote Originally Posted by byc View Post
    That totally makes sense. You're the top billing. Then all of a sudden the producers introduce a younger, WAY hotter female, wearing much sexier clothing, and then focus the "discovery of humanity" episodes all on her (and the Doctor).

OF COURSE Mulgrew would feel resentment.
    I choose not to take sides as I also like them both, but if Mulgrew aimed her resentment at Ryan, it'd be a bit unfair -- like they said in Saving Pvt. Ryan, aim your complaints up, not sideways or below. Up is where changes can be made. Though I'm sure that Mulgrew let the producers know, of course. It's just that Ryan was a pawn.

With that said, I totally understand Mulgrew's problem with the show's direction. On the other hand, I also feel like Ryan could have (eventually -- she was still a rookie when she joined) joined with Mulgrew to voice this complaint as well.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I choose not to take sides as I also like them both, but if Mulgrew aimed her resentment at Ryan, it'd be a bit unfair -- like they said in Saving Pvt. Ryan, aim your complaints up, not sideways or below. Up is where changes can be made. Though I'm sure that Mulgrew let the producers know, of course. It's just that Ryan was a pawn.

With that said, I totally understand Mulgrew's problem with the show's direction. On the other hand, I also feel like Ryan could have (eventually -- she was still a rookie when she joined) joined with Mulgrew to voice this complaint as well.
    Well there have been admissions from other actors/actresses on other projects that Mulgrew has worked on, that say she is hard to work with. The applicable term is Diva. With as much attention as Seven got from the writers during season 4 and 5 (which imo are the best seasons of the show), and the reduced role of other characters. One could imagine some friction. Also there was the Jennifer Lien being fired, which Mulgrew didn't like. Granted that had nothing to do with Jeri Ryan, but more to do with behind the scenes management. None of it was Lien's fault, I will say.

Skim through these thread on Trekbbs, to get a sense of the Mulgrew/Ryan thing.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219052
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=258427

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Well there have been admissions from other actors/actresses on other projects that Mulgrew has worked on, that say she is hard to work with. The applicable term is Diva. With as much attention as Seven got from the writers during season 4 and 5 (which imo are the best seasons of the show), and the reduced role of other characters. One could imagine some friction. Also there was the Jennifer Lien being fired, which Mulgrew didn't like. Granted that had nothing to do with Jeri Ryan, but more to do with behind the scenes management. None of it was Lien's fault, I will say.

Skim through these thread on Trekbbs, to get a sense of the Mulgrew/Ryan thing.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=219052
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=258427
    Fear not, I'm also part of TrekBBS, so I've read those threads up and down by now (at least, when the board was operating).

I do like that Mulgrew tried to defend Lien, and I don't blame Mulgrew one bit for feeling slighted. Diva or not, I'm just saying that aiming criticisms at Ryan rather than at the producers itself was the misguided part. Mulgrew, after all, went to bat for other castmates as well against the producers, and even tried to tutor a couple of the younger castmates like Wang.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Fear not, I'm also part of TrekBBS, so I've read those threads up and down by now (at least, when the board was operating).

I do like that Mulgrew tried to defend Lien, and I don't blame Mulgrew one bit for feeling slighted. Diva or not, I'm just saying that aiming criticisms at Ryan rather than at the producers itself was the misguided part. Mulgrew, after all, went to bat for other castmates as well against the producers, and even tried to tutor a couple of the younger castmates like Wang.
    That's true. I think TPTB/TPTW were primarily interested in keeping the show on the air by any means. Why oh why did People Magazine have to name Garret Wang, one of the wolrd's 50 most beautiful people? Having two beautiful blondes on VOY, would've been nice. Plus, Kes had more potential than Harry Kim.

Ultimate Member

Wow, I didn't know that Jennifer Lien had been fired, just that Seven of Boob seemed to come in and fill the hole she left behind.

(I much preferred Kes, and liked where they seemed to be going with the Ocampa/aging business, with the doctor mentioning in the first season that being in space was causing some changes in her physiology, and then it later being revealed that the Ocampa living with the second caretaker weren't aging as quickly. It seemed like they'd written themselves into a corner with the short lifespan, and then they just as quickly had set themselves up to step outside that box.)

I liked the *idea* of 'redeemed Borg,' although, like Picard being rescued and fairly casually un-Borged (they didn't even have to use medical facilities not available on a ship!), it begged the question of why the Federation policy towards Borg was 'kill 'em all' and not 'cure 'em all.' The existence of Seven of Nine made every Borg 'kill' that followed seem like murdering sick people, because it would be inconvenient to spend resources curing them (and the occasional excuse about Seven being 'special' despite having been Borg for *years,* and some of the Borg being ruthlessly mowed down having been Borg for *minutes,* feel specious).

Voyager is probably my least favorite Trek, for that and other reasons. It feels like missed opportunities abound, such as Tom Paris not being Nick Locarno (IIRC), the character that that actor had played earlier in Next Generation, who had a conveniently similar backstory as a hotshot pilot that dun goofed and ended up in the stockade.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-26-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Can we keep the behind the scenes gossip out of this thread and simply talk about the shows. it kind of ruins the shows for me, and frankly all we have is one person's word against another persons word.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Can we keep the behind the scenes gossip out of this thread and simply talk about the shows. it kind of ruins the shows for me, and frankly all we have is one person's word against another persons word.
    Well, and People Magazine (they do no wrong! /s).

Astonishing Member

ive always been more of a janeway guy then 7 of 9 guy

Quote Originally Posted by steve2275 View Post
    ive always been more of a janeway guy then 7 of 9 guy
    There is something appealing about Mulgrew's coarse/smokers voice (although she doesn't smoke to my knowledge), imo.

Did Sisco sleep with mirror universe Dax? That's kinda sleezy.

So I wonder how Star Trek Beyond (working title for NuTrek III) is going to turn out. Abrams is of course not directing (Because of Star Wars). Orci was going to direct/write, but was let go, with Justin Lin (Known mainly for four Fast and the Furious movies) as director. Simon Pegg is writing (and of course he also plays Scotty).

While the title seems to kind of hint at more exploration this time, Pegg said he's trying to make it look less "Star Treky" whatever that means. Certainly, the Abrams films already kind of did that (One of the criticisms of them from a few of the fans).

http://trekmovie.com/2015/05/19/pegg...r-trek-y-film/

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    While the title seems to kind of hint at more exploration this time, Pegg said he's trying to make it look less "Star Treky" whatever that means. Certainly, the Abrams films already kind of did that (One of the criticisms of them from a few of the fans).

http://trekmovie.com/2015/05/19/pegg...r-trek-y-film/
    Some of the most fantastic news I've seen this week.

This one, I'll want to see. Maybe, this time, a woman will contribute something without stripping to her underwear and an alien who isn't Spock won't be talked to like a pet (two things Pegg has criticized, himself, about the last two flicks).

Abrams' movies do follow a similar pattern to several of the earlier Trek films, and that pattern can get inane. Into Darkness was obsessed with retaining moments from the film it remade no matter how ridiculous they were or whose mouth words had to be shoved into. His first movie wasn't as far away from other Trek as some fans seemed to feel. If anything, it was Enterprise with more lens flares.

Many of the best Trek stories, to me, were when they stepped out of their "visit a planet, beat one man, have a lecture" format and did a gothic horror or prison escape story, a guy sitting in the holosuite pretending it's 20th Century Vegas to avoid dealing with war injuries or when everyone got their momentary wishes so Bones got a pretty girl or something and Sulu got attacked constantly, Kirk got to punch his Academy frenemy.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Did Sisco sleep with mirror universe Dax? That's kinda sleezy.
    Yes, he did. And he was a pretty sleezy guy, so it was perfectly in character.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Reading the last few pages of this thread, I'm surprised that so many people think Sisko and Picard are the best captains. I've personally found them the least interesting characters on their respective shows and thought Kirk was the most interesting captain on his own. The other two only played off their supporting characters and had personalities that were dull as dishwater.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman