Page 25 of 183 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Reading the last few pages of this thread, I'm surprised that so many people think Sisko and Picard are the best captains. I've personally found them the least interesting characters on their respective shows and thought Kirk was the most interesting captain on his own. The other two only played off their supporting characters and had personalities that were dull as dishwater.
    I love Shatner, I do, and Kirk's cool, Pine's alright, but if I had to choose an actor/character for a one man show, it wouldn't be Kirk. Kirk needs Bones and Spock. Needs. Whereas, Bones, really, doesn't need anybody. Except a solid actor and he's had two of those, at least.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I love Shatner, I do, and Kirk's cool, Pine's alright, but if I had to choose an actor/character for a one man show, it wouldn't be Kirk. Kirk needs Bones and Spock. Needs. Whereas, Bones, really, doesn't need anybody. Except a solid actor and he's had two of those, at least.
    So you prefer Picard or Sisko to Kirk?
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Reading the last few pages of this thread, I'm surprised that so many people think Sisko and Picard are the best captains. I've personally found them the least interesting characters on their respective shows and thought Kirk was the most interesting captain on his own. The other two only played off their supporting characters and had personalities that were dull as dishwater.
    Wait... what?

And here I thought you had good taste...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

So you prefer Picard or Sisko to Kirk?
    Both. I'd watch a Picard one man show. I'd watch Avery Brooks eat soup.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Wait... what?

And here I thought you had good taste...
    That's why I think Kirk is the best captain.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 05-27-2015 at 04:31 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

That's why I think Kirk is the best captain.
    Nicely done.

what are the recommended Deep Space Nine novels?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    the millenium trilogy was pretty good if I recall. And the invasion series which crossed all four shows. Captains table sucked though.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Yes, he did. And he was a pretty sleezy guy, so it was perfectly in character.
    He wasn't a sleezy guy. But that was pretty sleezy.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Let's ask The Avengers, who their favorite captains are.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

The REAL cause of Civil War

ROFLMAO, the last pic was just a great punchline.

When it comes to Trek EU post Nemesis, I personally follow the story of Online.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Accolade/Lore

Though the bits seen in the Q Gambit for the Prime Universe are a fun possibility too.

spoilers:
    Prophet-powered Q. What wacky hijinks there could be.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Did Sisco sleep with mirror universe Dax? That's kinda sleezy.
    Sleezy, sure. But I'm even more creeped out by the fact that Dax was his mentor as well. C'mon now, student/teacher relationships should be sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    So I wonder how Star Trek Beyond (working title for NuTrek III) is going to turn out. Abrams is of course not directing (Because of Star Wars). Orci was going to direct/write, but was let go, with Justin Lin (Known mainly for four Fast and the Furious movies) as director. Simon Pegg is writing (and of course he also plays Scotty).

While the title seems to kind of hint at more exploration this time, Pegg said he's trying to make it look less "Star Treky" whatever that means. Certainly, the Abrams films already kind of did that (One of the criticisms of them from a few of the fans).

http://trekmovie.com/2015/05/19/pegg...r-trek-y-film/
    One thing I like about Justin Lin is that he's shown he can handle both complex action pieces and large ensembles. And though he's known for the Fast and Furious movies, the film that put him on the map was Better Luck Tomorrow, very much a character driven story with minimal violence.

As for the "Star Trek-y" thing, I imagine it means fewer references and nods and less adherence to the past (STID was overfull of them), which would mean that there'd be more freedom for Pegg to move around. Indeed, even ST09 was dependent on so much that we know from the Prime Universe anyway; Kirk from Iowa, Spock's bullies, Ambassador Spock, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love my nods and references (Seeing the Phoenix and the NX-01 in STID gave me chills), but let them be window dressing, and not driving plot points. John Harrison could have been any Augment and the story still would have worked. Khan only worked in TWOK because he had 20 years of a personal vendetta against Kirk. JJVerse Khan had no such motive against our heroes; against Marcus, sure, but he was an unsympathetic villain, so there's no concern by the viewer there.
    Last edited by Cyke; 05-27-2015 at 10:44 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    The 34th Rule by Armin Shimerman is excellent (and I don't even like the Ferengi!) as is A Stitch In Time by Andrew Robinson.

You can find used copies of both for pennies online.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Sleezy, sure. But I'm even more creeped out by the fact that Dax was his mentor as well. C'mon now, student/teacher relationships should be sacred.

One thing I like about Justin Lin is that he's shown he can handle both complex action pieces and large ensembles. And though he's known for the Fast and Furious movies, the film that put him on the map was Better Luck Tomorrow, very much a character driven story with minimal violence.

As for the "Star Trek-y" thing, I imagine it means fewer references and nods and less adherence to the past (STID was overfull of them), which would mean that there'd be more freedom for Pegg to move around. Indeed, even ST09 was dependent on so much that we know from the Prime Universe anyway; Kirk from Iowa, Spock's bullies, Ambassador Spock, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love my nods and references (Seeing the Phoenix and the NX-01 in STID gave me chills), but let them be window dressing, and not driving plot points. John Harrison could have been any Augment and the story still would have worked. Khan only worked in TWOK because he had 20 years of a personal vendetta against Kirk. JJVerse Khan had no such motive against our heroes; against Marcus, sure, but he was an unsympathetic villain, so there's no concern by the viewer there.
    Well kurzon dax was in love with Jadzia so there is precedent. A d was she jadzia dax in the mirror universe or just jadzia? Just looked it up she was dax