Page 29 of 183 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Denise's departure was worth getting to see her in a Red Shoe Diaries episode shortly after. And Geordi got some welcome character development in the ensuing seasons.
    I'd probably credit Worf's development to Crosby's departure; Geordi got lucky because they got tired of playing musical chairs with the Chief Engineer position...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

First post here!

Anyone talk about Morrison's little mention of Star Trek?...in talking about his pop culture pulse taking.
    http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...n-unleash.html

Paste Magazine: The Multiversity #2 comes out next month, concluding the story. I think The Gentry has been my favorite aspect of the book—I know each member is an extreme of various villain archetypes, but they also seem to represent something so much more primal. Are we going to discover more about these characters and what separates them from a character like Darkseid?
    Morrison: Oh yeah, you definitely find out a lot more about them, but at the same time I think why they work is because everyone can read them in their own way, and make them represent what they want them to represent. I want to keep that little bit of mystery. The finale pretty much explains who they are, and even in Ultra it’s explained that these are really bad ideas. They’re demon ideas and we incubate them and they form. We can feel them, but we don’t quite know how to display them and what they’re doing. It’s been portrayed that our imaginative space has become degraded. Where once we had Star Trek now we have The Walking Dead. We see our civilization as something that’s basically, ultimately doomed. And maybe a generation ago we saw our civilization as something that would naturally be carried into the stars, and have this fantastic utopian future. So Multiverse is all about that, and Ultra is specifically about the idea that we have impoverished a neighborhood, and once you’ve impoverished a neighborhood then you come in to gentrify it. You’ve made it very comfortable for the monsters to cultivate.

I've been re-watching Next Gen on Netflix and noticed how surprisingly not different the show is from Game of Thrones....you have Picard and others and villains as smart and clever (and sometimes ruthless) as any character on Game of Thrones, but Game of Thrones (which I love to death) takes such a darker view on humanity, more a "doomed" perspective like Walking Dead.

It just led me to realize that Star Trek has this tone & view that's somewhat less present regarding humanity.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-23-2015 at 09:15 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

OK, so I've given this some thought, and this is going to sound nigh sacrilegious, but if there's one TNG episode I have issues with...it's Tapestry.

I don't deny that the episode is bad in any way, or that it was produced bad, or the leads in it were bad, etc. It's the message of Tapestry that bugs me; taking risks VS playing it safe. I feel that it doesn't properly address the issue and just hammers in that playing it safe will never lead to a good thing. It's especially apparent when they use Picard's Nausiccan scuffle as the example and turning point in his life. He had to nearly die before he turned his life around.

So then...what about us in the real world? What about those who suffer from Atychiphobia (The fear of failure)? Do we need to get ourselves nearly killed in any kind of incident before we can open our eyes? Can such an incident in our lives possibly happen? Or never happen at all?

I will admit that I take a lot of umbrage with this episode as I (though I've yet to get any official verification on this) probably suffer from a mild case of Atychiphobia. I just dislike how an episode that is regarded as one of the best in TNG and is a great character study in Picard...has to have such a contrivance. The only reason Picard was able to have a second epiphany was because of Q's what-if scenario.

If they really wanted to approach a matter like this more, they should've done it with a character development or evolution. Like early in the show, give a character that suffers from Atychiphobia, have him experience his/her epiphany, and see that as a change to his character. And don't make him/her nearly die. A near-death experience that changes someone's outlook might seem all dramatic, but the fact of the matter is, I doubt that'll happen in real life.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    It's the message of Tapestry that bugs me; taking risks VS playing it safe.
    That wasn't the message. The message was that mistakes/poor decisions we make earlier in life play a significant role in who we eventually become. If those instances don't occur, and a different path is taken, then life will turn out differently but not necessarily lead to something better, as one might expect. Picard conveys this message in the final scene with Riker: "If it was Q, I owe him a debt of gratitude...There are many parts of my youth that I'm not proud of. There were loose threads, untidy parts of me that I would like to remove. But when I pulled on one of those threads, it unraveled the tapestry of my life."

Wait you think tapestry was a bad episode?

Yeah, I worded that wrong. It's not a bad episode by any means. I just personally don't think it's that great because of the message. And as for the "supposed" message...Eh, I dunno. While the idea of mistakes learned in life is helpful later on is a good one, I still find it hackneyed because the one they focused on was Picard's near-death experience.

A new documentary that pretty much shows how Roddenberry took a gigantic dump all over TNG.

http://io9.com/a-new-documentary-sho...ium=socialflow

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Unless I missed it, it doesn't mention when/where we can watch the whole thing...?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I think it's because they're gonna show it somewhere first before it's made available anywhere else.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Thought I'd revive this thread since I found with some delight that Netflix UK now has the entirety of Star Trek on TV (including the animated series) on demand now? There's a fair bit of TOS I haven't seen before and none of TAS and Enterprise, so it'll be awesome to get the chance to see those, even if I suspect that the chances of seeing all of it before it gets taken offline like SG1 did is night on impossible...

I'm working rewatches of Deep Space Nine and Voyager. Still trying to finish getting the rest of TNG on DVD.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

If you get H & I, all five shows will be airing on that network starting July 24.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Been re watching a bunch of Voyager lately. Enjoying it. It's not the best, and there's some bad episodes, but it's not as bad as it's often made out to be.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Been re watching a bunch of Voyager lately. Enjoying it. It's not the best, and there's some bad episodes, but it's not as bad as it's often made out to be.
    Which season are you in?

VOY gets stale periodically throughout it's run. Season 4 and 5 were the high water marks for the show.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

My dad and I both thought at the time that DS9 and Voyager got better in latter seasons for the most part. Seven's clearly a better character than Kes in my opinion and I loved her interactions with the Doctor. Also you got the Hirogen around then who whilst Predator ripoffs I guess were engaging villains and I don't recall a bad story they were the focus of. Just wish the final story was a little better.