Page 30 of 183 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Been re watching a bunch of Voyager lately. Enjoying it. It's not the best, and there's some bad episodes, but it's not as bad as it's often made out to be.
    it's not so bad as opportunity wasted.

I honestly think with some minor tweaks, janeway would have easily been up there with picard and sisko as a bloody amazing captain.

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    it's not so bad as opportunity wasted.
    It's pretty much this, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Which season are you in?

VOY gets stale periodically throughout it's run. Season 4 and 5 were the high water marks for the show.
    That's where I am. I barely watch any of seasons 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    My dad and I both thought at the time that DS9 and Voyager got better in latter seasons for the most part.
    I feel like this applies to all of them, TNG, too. Seasons 3-6 is pretty much where they get good.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I feel like this applies to all of them, TNG, too. Seasons 3-6 is pretty much where they get good.
    Yeah, DS9 benefitted from the Changeling/Dominion storylines heating up around then, plus the Worf addition. And Voyager had Seven and the better Borg/Species 8472/Hirogen stories to enjoy.

Spectacular Member

Just recently decided to watch all of Star Trek. Got through TOS, The Animated Series most of the movies (watching undiscovered country at some point today). Then onto TNG. Enjoying everything so far!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by highlandhellboy View Post
    Just recently decided to watch all of Star Trek. Got through TOS, The Animated Series most of the movies (watching undiscovered country at some point today). Then onto TNG. Enjoying everything so far!
    When I did that, I skipped TAS. Is it worth it to catch TAS on the next pass I'm about to do?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    When I did that, I skipped TAS. Is it worth it to catch TAS on the next pass I'm about to do?
    It has great writing in a lot of the episodes but the animation is a bit flat, I had fun with them though.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    My dad and I both thought at the time that DS9 and Voyager got better in latter seasons for the most part. Seven's clearly a better character than Kes in my opinion and I loved her interactions with the Doctor. Also you got the Hirogen around then who whilst Predator ripoffs I guess were engaging villains and I don't recall a bad story they were the focus of. Just wish the final story was a little better.
    I think the show that had the highest jump in quality in its latter seasons was Enterprise. Seasons 3 and especially 4 were light years better than season 1 and 2. If they could have stared the show with the writing being as good as it became latter on it might have last 7 season like the other Trek shows instead of just 4.

My girlfriend and I are watching DS9. For her, it's the first time and for me, it's like the 3rd watch through. I actually am enjoying some of these episodes much more than I recall the first two go arounds. Perhaps I'm seeing some of it through her eyes and I'm keying into some of her take aways. Like the classic Star Trek philosophical struggles in Dax, which she enjoyed, but I didn't initially. Some of the acting is questionable, which she struggles with. I keep telling her that Sisko gets way better. He really doesn't have a ton to do in the first season, the show is much more in love with Odo, Quark and Kira who jump off the screen from the word go.

Honestly, I think that outside of TNG, this show has the best first season. Some of the "human" (I include Dax here) characters have trouble finding their footing, but the alien characters start of nearly fully formed. And while there are several episodes that could be done on TNG, it never feels as hackneyed as the early TNG episodes that were essentially just doing TOS episodes. There's always some element that makes it 100% Deep Space Nine, which is usually provided by Odo and Quark. I forgot how much of their interplay existed early on. My girlfriend really digs that right now. It always was my favorite part.

I'm working my way through the Borg Fan Collective disc right now and just finished up the TNG era episodes, and even though i've seen all these ones dozens of times by now and most of them are already highly regarded like "The Best of Both Worlds", I think "I,Borg" is up there as one of my personal favorites of the whole series. Going to watch the Voyager episodes over the next few days, which I don't think i've seen any of(I only caught a few random episodes of Voyager when I was younger and it was first airing, the only one I can specifically recall was "Timeless").

Ultimate Member

The borg episode on Enterprise was terrible, Archer was fully intent on saving the people that the borg had abducted till the very end...that's the one thing that I've always hated about Stark Trek, it seems that they lost their cynical side, they don't recognize a group as bad until they've brutally killed a few redshirts or endangered one of the main cast...only then are they bad, until then they still try to make peace...some aliens are beyond that...

As for the Dax...I liked Ezri more than Judzia or however the names are spelled...

There's a TNG episode that I can't remember what season it's in, Riker goes down to a planet to check out a civilization after some cosmetic changes from the doctor as the people are not as warp yet and he gets injured and when the people try to help him they figure out that he's not one of them, Picard ends up having to appeal to the big leader in his office, and the security guy of the people shoots himself with Riker's phaser in trying to show that Riker and the others can't be trusted but he only has it on the stun setting...sorry if that's not enough...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post

There's a TNG episode that I can't remember what season it's in, Riker goes down to a planet to check out a civilization after some cosmetic changes from the doctor as the people are not as warp yet and he gets injured and when the people try to help him they figure out that he's not one of them, Picard ends up having to appeal to the big leader in his office, and the security guy of the people shoots himself with Riker's phaser in trying to show that Riker and the others can't be trusted but he only has it on the stun setting...sorry if that's not enough...
    Episode is "First Contact" from Season 4.

Ultimate Member

Thanks, one of my local stations is airing all of the Star Trek shows every day but Saturday, 5-6 is the original, TNG is 6-7, then two hours or other shows, then 10-11 is DSP, 11-12 is Voyager, and 12-1AM is Enterprise...on Sunday they air all five in order from 7 to midnight...and thankfully they're airing the episodes from episode one on and not jumping around...

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Thanks, one of my local stations is airing all of the Star Trek shows every day but Saturday, 5-6 is the original, TNG is 6-7, then two hours or other shows, then 10-11 is DSP, 11-12 is Voyager, and 12-1AM is Enterprise...on Sunday they air all five in order from 7 to midnight...and thankfully they're airing the episodes from episode one on and not jumping around...
    I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) you have H&I, which now also has Star Trek: The Animated Series as part of the package on Sundays.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member

You mean heroes and icons...yeah I think that's it...

Incredible Member

You must be Canadian. It's Space that is airing all the Star Trek series. The order is Original, next gen, voyager back to back in the afternoon and DS 9 and Enterprise late night.