Page 4 of 182 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I'm probably one of the few people here who can remember seeing TOS when it was still in first-run mode (though barely). It really wasn't until the early '70s that I became a fanatic about the show, however. Star Trek became my favorite show of my childhood and William Shatner was the greatest actor of them all in my book by the mid-'70s. In retrospect, I might have been a little hasty about the latter opinion , though I still think he's good and is unfairly maligned in some quarters.

Having said all of that, I thing TNG is now my favorite of them all and Patrick Stewart as Jean Luc Picard is the captain to beat.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

A fun debate is the "who was the best science/ops officer"? You have Spock, Data, Dax, Kim and T'Pol, all of whom are brimming with expertise and potential. I don't think I have ever seen Kim win but maybe the CBR community would like to change that...? Who am I kidding, he has no chance against such stout opposition. Two Vulcans, a walking encyclopedia and a woman with several lifetimes of experience - there's no way a mere human ensign could compete. At least he still has the title of "Best Clarinetist in Star Fleet."

By the way, the clear winner is obviously Data.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    By the way, the clear winner is obviously Data.
    Illogical.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Illogical.
    I find your logic fascinating.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Illogical.
    Very lllogical. The winner is T'Pol. I wouldn't have sex with any of the others.

...That is what we were talking about, right?
    Life is but a dream

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I'm probably one of the few people here who can remember seeing TOS when it was still in first-run mode
    Same here. Star Trek sparked my love of science fiction & the 1966 Batman TV show started my love of superheroes.

BANNED

A Question on 24th century Trek, did they ever explored the Galactic Barrier any further? This energy barrier that surrounds the Milky Way, it stops ships from going out or in and it's radiation can give (or enhance) psychic powers. It was a major plot point in like 3 episodes of TOS but they never got to much into it.

What about the Guardian of Forever? Is it in any episode of TNG, DS9 etc?

A Question on 24th century Trek, did they ever explored the Galactic Barrier any further? This energy barrier that surrounds the Milky Way, it stops ships from going out or in and it's radiation can give (or enhance) psychic powers. It was a major plot point in like 3 episodes of TOS but they never got to much into it.

As far as I know the Galactic Barrier & the Guardian of Forever (except in an animated episode) were never mentioned after TOS.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

It was one of those TOS concepts that was quietly forgotten about.

BANNED

Maybe in the books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    As far as I know the Galactic Barrier & the Guardian of Forever (except in an animated episode) were never mentioned after TOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    It was one of those TOS concepts that was quietly forgotten about.
    Bummer, they are fascinating concepts. Why is there an energy barrier stopping traffic at the edge of the Milky Way? Acording to the Kelvam it isn't the case in other galaxies.

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    Maybe in the books.
    Yeah, according to Memory Alpha apparently there is a series of books by Peter David that ties in Trelane, Star Trek V and the Galactic Barrier to the Q. But that's something that really should be on screen. No one in the 24th century wonder what's that barrier about? Even though they made contact with members of Andromeda's Kelvan Empire (which IIRC Worf mention as still being around).

It's just a bit of a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    Maybe in the books.
    from Wikipedia:

Galactic Barrier

Various books try to explain the existence of the galactic barrier, although none of these are canonical:
    The series of novels known as Star Trek: The Q Continuum explain the two barriers, stating that they were created by the Continuum 600,000 years ago, in order to keep one omnipotent being (known as "The One") sealed away at the center of the Galaxy, and to keep another (known as "0", whose powers can rival even the Q) locked out of the galaxy forever; this is due to both aliens' previous destructive rampages.
    In William Shatner's novel Captain's Glory, Picard mentions the events of the Q Continuum trilogy, but states that the barrier was built by the proto-humanoids shown in "The Chase" 4 billion years ago, in order to protect their "children" (the races they seeded across the galaxy) from a dark matter entity known as the Totality.
    The novel Q-Squared reveals the Galactic Barrier to be Q himself, in a time-tossed and temporally discorporated state.

Guardian of Forever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardia...ian_of_Forever

The Guardian of Forever appears in the TAS episode "Yesteryear"-which inspired a great deal of the Vulcan stuff in the 09 film, such as the bullies mocking Spock and Sarek's talk.

There is also an upcoming IDW miniseries based on one of Harlan's scripts for "City on the Edge Of Forever" not sure if that will have the Guardian though.

The thing I never understood about Star Trek: Voyager was why would the writers have Q show up several times, but not have him return the crew to the Alpha Quadrant? I don't think any excuses they used for him NOT to return the crew home made much sense.

I'm also surprised that Q didn't show up on "Star Trek: Enterprise."
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 05-06-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Very lllogical. The winner is T'Pol. I wouldn't have sex with any of the others.

...That is what we were talking about, right?
    HaaaaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

I would call it a close race between Spock and Data.