Page 52 of 182 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

http://https://www.cbr.com/star-trek...n-development/

This is Paramount's statement, but again, I'll believe it when I see it. "It" being an actual film...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

As a whole I like the movies, but a major reason to have them is to show adventures that would be too big for television, and the lines have been blurring for decades now. Even the biggest scale stories weren't the movies, they've been on tv since TNG. TMP's big problem was that it was a tv show script. Generations and Insurrection were pretty low stakes. The Abrams movies had the polish of excellent special effects but not quite the imagination to use them like their contemporaries.

I would say, though, that I'd want one last outing with the Abrams cast. The quality of the movies is in no way their fault, and they deserve a last hurrah.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    http://https://www.cbr.com/star-trek...n-development/

This is Paramount's statement, but again, I'll believe it when I see it. "It" being an actual film...
    That took me to an ad for paving services.

Trek films sometimes take a while to gell in development. I think at one stage TWOK was going to be mainly about the genesis device and Kirk's son (Perhaps as the villain?) but then it ended up getting merged with the whole Khan idea (BTW it's kind of interesting that the Genesis device is almost second thought for Khan. We never hear of what he actually plans to do with the device; make a new planet for his followers, maybe even reinvigorate Ceti Alpha V somehow? Sell it? Use it on Earth? He only uses it on Kirk as a last-minute thing)

TMP itself went through several different incarnations before it settled on the filmed one.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 09-22-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    My apologies if false. If I see a denial from Paramount, I'll edit the post and dump the link.

I tend to agree, but not completely. IMO, the ST films that worked best were closure stories, of which, TWK was clearly the standout.
    Agreed. Personally I wish they would bring closure to the Scalosian story in 'Wink of an Eye.' Nothing was really brought to resolution with them, Kirk just plopped them back onto the planet with their same problems and flew off. Its sort of amazing - Deela's entire purpose and goal was to have babies with Kirk, the most sex-crazed captain of them all, but he turns her away. There was the little issue of cryogenically freezing the crew, but you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs. With the popularity of speedsters like Flash these days, it might be fun to have an entire planet of speedsters take revenge and attack the normal people again.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 09-22-2020 at 01:51 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Boisterously Confused

One of the tough things about doing the movies is they want all of them to have a Big Space Battle. The only one that didn't deliver that (TMP) is generally considered the weakest of the bunch (although not only for that reason).

I always wanted to see a TOS film based on Harry Mudd, with the plot orbiting about a dying Mudd entangling Kirk's Enterprise in One Last Score on his way out. It doesn't preclude a space battle, especially if Mudd had sold Enterprise to a species we never meet, but whose ships look awfully Ferengi in design.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That took me to an ad for paving services.
    Weird! I read the article this morning, minutes before replying to your other post. The article is still on the main page, no idea why the link didn't work.

This one is good -

https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-paramo...n-development/
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Weird! I read the article this morning, minutes before replying to your other post. The article is still on the main page, no idea why the link didn't work.

This one is good -

https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-paramo...n-development/
    Yup. That got it. Editing complete.

They're bringing Mulgrew back as a voice of Janeway for the "Prodigy" Nickelodeon series.

Curiously the announcement lists her as Captain, although last we knew (Nemesis) she was promoted to Admiral. Maybe she got demoted like Kirk in the movies?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    They're bringing Mulgrew back as a voice of Janeway for the "Prodigy" Nickelodeon series.

Curiously the announcement lists her as Captain, although last we knew (Nemesis) she was promoted to Admiral. Maybe she got demoted like Kirk in the movies?
    Or they are just going to ignore it altogether. But I might just have to check the show out when it airs.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Or maybe it's just because the character is better known for being a captain in the TV show then for appearing in a movie as an admiral? Either way, looking forward to seeing her again.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Maybe they get *really* lost and meet up with Voyager in the Delta Quadrant.

Jk, but considering Nickelodeon, if the show ends up being half as good as Avatar: The Last Airbender and the Legend of Korra, then I'm sold.

Incredible Member

Maybe they've done the Emergency Medical Hologram one better and she's the Emergency Captain Hologram.
    Sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Or they are just going to ignore it altogether. But I might just have to check the show out when it airs.
    Probably not. Part of Picard's story relied heavily on Data's death from NEMESIS so it's still canon to the new shows.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Maybe they've done the Emergency Medical Hologram one better and she's the Emergency Captain Hologram.
    Ha. I like that. "You have activated the Emergency Captain Hologram. Please state the nature of the command emergency..."