Page 6 of 182 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

My top three Enterprise designs are
    1. Enterprise A----Such a clean and beautiful design
    2. Enterprise NX-01-----Don't know how many people liked this design but I always thought it was cool. I like the interior as well.
    3. Enterprise E-----What I consider the "Ferrari" of Enterprise design.

Favorite Villain
    1. No contest here. Romulan Bird of Prey----The paint they put on them was so cool. This ship has style.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    I really like Enterprise-E. Acording to SciFI Debris (thanks to MikeP for introducing me to his videos BTW) It was done to illustrate how the Federation and the crew of the Enterprise had become more militarized after The Borg attack, I don't really get the same warship vibe I just think it looks sexy.
    ive always said "thats one sexy ship"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    It definitely has a lot of Voyager the design.
    That's the primary reason why I don't like it, actually. I like Voyager fine enough, and the Sovereign is decent as well, but the Sovereign looks like Voyager's successor to me, rather than the Enterprise, so I'd be happier if the Sovereign were its own ship separate from the heroes. It's just too similar to Voyager for my tastes. Also, the lack of the ship's neck to me is damn near treason

I've no problem with the interiors EXCEPT the bridge (it seems too dark and almost Cardassian) and engineering (the core is essentially an upgraded Defiant core, which already looks silly). I'm also surprised that we never really saw anything inside the ship as advanced as the Enterprise-D's stellar cartography room in Generations, despite being the inferior vessel.

As for other Enterprises, my favorite is the D. The JJprise would be a contender to me if:
    - the neck were moved forward just a bit more towards the deflector (and, by default, the saucer would also be shoved forward).
    - the nacelles also moved forward so that the pylons are slightly closer to the nacelle's center, lengthwise, for a more secure and snug look. As it is, it looks like the nacelles could fly off the ship if they went too fast at warp.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    That's the primary reason why I don't like it, actually. I like Voyager fine enough, and the Sovereign is decent as well, but the Sovereign looks like Voyager's successor to me, rather than the Enterprise, so I'd be happier if the Sovereign were its own ship separate from the heroes. It's just too similar to Voyager for my tastes. Also, the lack of the ship's neck to me is damn near treason

I've no problem with the interiors EXCEPT the bridge (it seems too dark and almost Cardassian) and engineering (the core is essentially an upgraded Defiant core, which already looks silly). I'm also surprised that we never really saw anything inside the ship as advanced as the Enterprise-D's stellar cartography room in Generations, despite being the inferior vessel.
    We didn't see the Enterprise-E's stellar cartography lab, but it was mentioned in First Contact during passing conversation as being on deck 11. But there's really nothing to suggest that the Galaxy-class is inferior to the Sovereign-class, just that it came before it. Starfleet tends to have multiple starship designs in service with maybe some designs better suited to some tasks than others.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    We didn't see the Enterprise-E's stellar cartography lab, but it was mentioned in First Contact during passing conversation as being on deck 11. But there's really nothing to suggest that the Galaxy-class is inferior to the Sovereign-class, just that it came before it. Starfleet tends to have multiple starship designs in service with maybe some designs better suited to some tasks than others.
    That really is the key there. Designed. The Galaxy class was designed before the start of TNG, when the Federation was in a relative state of peace. It was made made as a long term, deep space exploration starship. But what happens during TNG? The Romulans come out of their isolation, we are introduced to hostile aliens like the Ferengi, the Cardassians, and of course the Borg. Suddenly, sending out capable ships like the Enterprise D far away from Earth is no longer an option. So Galaxy class ships are being used for peace keeping and defense, something they weren't built for.
    Life is but a dream

Astonishing Member
    Last edited by steve2275; 05-11-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    True on all counts. I suppose that, in hindsight, I wanted to see something in the E-E that was as graphically creative as the scene in Generations, whatever the reason may be. It's a new ship, after all, and while the outside is nice and one of our first encounters of it was in battle, it would've been nice to have something engrossing and surrounding, worthy of a big-screen budget devoted to the ship.

That really is the key there. Designed. The Galaxy class was designed before the start of TNG, when the Federation was in a relative state of peace. It was made made as a long term, deep space exploration starship. But what happens during TNG? The Romulans come out of their isolation, we are introduced to hostile aliens like the Ferengi, the Cardassians, and of course the Borg. Suddenly, sending out capable ships like the Enterprise D far away from Earth is no longer an option. So Galaxy class ships are being used for peace keeping and defense, something they weren't built for.
    I'd like to think that the Galaxies performed well in the Dominion War, as we saw them in battle plenty of times but never destroyed like every other class out there (even the Defiant!), so it could be that they're tough and still pack quite a wallop. But since the Dominion War isn't really TNG-related, and they were, like many others, merely pawns.

This is pure conjecture, but I imagine that the Galaxy could draw fire while simultaneously providing support fire in fleet battles; tough enough to tank, but hanging back so that other ships focus on offense, and being the command ship of an armada or task force. It's the impression I got during the final battle of the war, but again, that's guesswork and wishful thinking on my part.

But then that all sidesteps the Sovereign's design. I'm not against the idea of a tougher ship with more teeth, I just wish the Sovereign didn't look like that Ah well, it's an 18-year old design already.
    Last edited by Cyke; 05-11-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Astonishing Member
    Last edited by steve2275; 05-11-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cel
    Actually, a case could be made that the Galaxy-class was built to be a multipurpose design capable of performing a wide variety of missions from deep-space exploration, to defense, to even fairly routine cargo and personnel transport. And although it entered service prior to an outbreak of several hostilities, the same could be said for many starship designs since Starfleet's inception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke
    I'd like to think that the Galaxies performed well in the Dominion War, as we saw them in battle plenty of times but never destroyed like every other class out there (even the Defiant!), so it could be that they're tough and still pack quite a wallop.
    Yeah, Galaxy-class ships were seen tearing through Dominion forces during the war. A few years prior, the USS Odyssey was lost to a Jem'Hadar kamikaze attack, but the ship had taken a serious pounding earlier and was pretty much defenseless at the time (her captain made the fateful choice of diverting shield power to weapons, which was a mistake in hindsight).
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Incredible Member

So Galaxy class ships are being used for peace keeping and defense, something they weren't built for.
    Then why were they built with a Battle Bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Then why were they built with a Battle Bridge?
    For battle. It was made to be used when the saucer section separated, which was only used during life threatening emergencies. I never said the Galaxy class wasn't battle ready, its just not war ready. Not initially, anyhow. The original design was built around the idea of exploring in potentially hostile environment, not a prolonged war.
    Life is but a dream

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'd like to think that the Galaxies performed well in the Dominion War, as we saw them in battle plenty of times but never destroyed like every other class out there (even the Defiant!), so it could be that they're tough and still pack quite a wallop. But since the Dominion War isn't really TNG-related, and they were, like many others, merely pawns.

This is pure conjecture, but I imagine that the Galaxy could draw fire while simultaneously providing support fire in fleet battles; tough enough to tank, but hanging back so that other ships focus on offense, and being the command ship of an armada or task force. It's the impression I got during the final battle of the war, but again, that's guesswork and wishful thinking on my part.

But then that all sidesteps the Sovereign's design. I'm not against the idea of a tougher ship with more teeth, I just wish the Sovereign didn't look like that Ah well, it's an 18-year old design already.
    Well the Galaxy class went through several major upgrades to get it war ready. I was pointing more towards its original intent, and why the new Enterprise went through such a radical design change when built from the ground up.
    Life is but a dream

There's a stellar cartography scene in the Enterprise-E in Nemesis (When Picard and Data are comparing themselves to their doubles), but it looks far less impressive than the one in Generations/Enterprise-D. I guess they used the budget elsewhere
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-11-2014 at 12:57 PM.

For battle. It was made to be used when the saucer section separated, which was only used during life threatening emergencies. I never said the Galaxy class wasn't battle ready, its just not war ready. Not initially, anyhow. The original design was built around the idea of exploring in potentially hostile environment, not a prolonged war.
    We actually really don't know what idea the original design was built around. There's some offscreen ideas proposed that they were meant to be exploration vessels, but onscreen material suggests they're more of a large jack-of-all-trades design.
    Well the Galaxy class went through several major upgrades to get it war ready. I was pointing more towards its original intent, and why the new Enterprise went through such a radical design change when built from the ground up.
    For all we know, initial work on the Sovereign-class may have started not long after the USS Galaxy was commissioned. Starfleet may have decided even before Wolf 359 to start building sleeker, more compact vessels. As far as the Galaxy-class, its upgrades (like the additional phaser arrays on the nacelles of the USS Venture) may have been less a result of the Dominion War and more due to already planned improvements after the launch of the first batch of ships (Galaxy, Yamato, Enterprise-D, and Odyssey).
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's a stellar cartography scene in the Enterprise-E in Nemesis (When Picard and Data are comparing themselves to their doubles), but it looks far less impressive than the one in Generations/Enterprise-D. I guess they used the budget elsewhere
    In the Nemesis script, the room was designated as "Astrometrics," kinda like the one Voyager had. Maybe smaller astrometrics labs are considered more efficient than oversized stellar cartography rooms?
    Last edited by Cel; 05-11-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

When Star Trek TNG launched, the Federation was supposedly at peace but as the series progressed, we saw the Federation had actually been involved in quite a few wars; not least of which was the war with the Cardassians (which was serious enough to involve land battles, give soldiers PTSD and generate a lot of ill will/racism towards the Cardassians). However, given Star Fleet's superiority to Cardassian ships as seen in TNG, it was probably a more isolated war (in comparison to the total wars that involved the Dominion and the Borg).

The Galaxy-class starship definitely feels more like a gigantic, gaudy peace-time exploration vessel designed to woo new species with the Federation's cultural and technological awesomeness. Ships like the Akira and Defiant (and perhaps even the Sovereign) feel more militant, like they were designed with the idea that the galaxy is not all cupcakes and ice cream any more. War has come to the Federation and will not leave any time soon (thus you need battleships, not pieces of art).