Page 62 of 183 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast
    BANNED

The Vulcan don’t understand most emotional reactions are logical

Ultimate Member

Most, but not all

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    The Vulcans are the most illogical species in the universe. Because it’s illogical to be logical. Being logical is a stupid concept.
    Why would you think reason and logic is illogical?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

vulcans are alright i didnt like those ritual fights and what not

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Why would you think reason and logic is illogical?
    Because emotions are logical for survival. Vulcans are trying to be computers, I see why the Romulans broke away from them.

Ultimate Member

Emotions are logical as long as they make sense

Because emotions are logical for survival. Vulcans are trying to be computers, I see why the Romulans broke away from them.
    Maybe for survival in the Savanah, but I would say emotions aren't the best way to run a modern society. Unless you think angry Trumpers storming the Capitol is good.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

At least not emotions which run counter to facts and lead people to do stupid things, like in the comment above

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

i wonder if a big enough percentage of the vulcan population did kolinahr if they could advance their tech and stuff further

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    i wonder if a big enough percentage of the vulcan population did kolinahr if they could advance their tech and stuff further
    Hard to say. Theoretically, it might make them more objective in their analyses, but I'm not sure if it would enhance their creativity. More kolinahr would seemingly make them better at identifying needs for advancement, but I could see it also making them less willing to consider unusual solutions.

Also, I don't know how much time in a given day a Vulcan has to spend meditating to maintain kolinahr. STTMP makes it clear that it requires a lot of effort to achieve the state, but I have to wonder if that's something that's ongoing. Might not leave them much room for invention and creativity.

BANNED

Where has Vulcan’s logic gotten them? They are not smarter, they are not more advanced. Their planet was blown up in one the timeline.
    The point is a logical society is nonsense and goes against nature.

Ultimate Member

I get the feeling Star Trek sometimes shades the Vulcans as not necessarily always being right

BANNED

The Vulcan don’t understand most emotional reactions are logical
    They do. Sometimes even if it is twisted to see how logic and emotions are linked.

In star trek 2009 , Spock relinquishing command of the Enterprise for been emotionally compromised. he knew there was no logic in him carrying on as Captain after beating the crap out of Kirk.

Ultimate Member

The Vulcans are the most illogical species in the universe. Because it’s illogical to be logical. Being logical is a stupid concept.
    It's important to *them* because the alternative was being hyper-violent feuding tribes for thousands of years, unable to advance beyond 'angry all the time and killing each other for no real reason.' They are super-aggressive, and incredibly strong, and were killing each other faster than they could replace their numbers. Logic allowed them to manage that.

The Romulans managed to sublimate their rage into constant 'cold war' and longer-term betrayals of each other, a society that had been torn apart by hot rage, they replaced with cold hate. (Not a pleasant alternative, but it worked for them, until the writers blew up *their* planet.)

Enterprise did have a plotline in season 4 that basically explained that the Vulcans had drifted from Surak's teachings, and by the end they were rediscovering them/going through a sort of reformation into the TOS style Vulcans. There's even a young T'Pau (at one point T'Pol was going to be a young T'Pau but due to several issues including legal one this was dropped, but the idea of a young T'pau was revived for season 4, just not as one of the crew).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth