Page 65 of 183 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    "Forget this timeline. The one we're going to create will be better. Once we get things in order here, we'll contact the Ferengi homeworld and sell them our ship. The Ferengi will have warp drive technology centuries before humans or Klingons or even the Vulcans." - Quark ("Little Green Men" [DS9])
    What we actually saw in Carbon Creek (Vulcans on Earth in the 1950s via FTL) negates that statement. Quark was clearly delirious with thoughts of latinum and Ferengi galactic financial domination.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    What we actually saw in Carbon Creek (Vulcans on Earth in the 1950s via FTL) negates that statement. Quark was clearly delirious with thoughts of latinum and Ferengi galactic financial domination.
    Oh, sure, but the point that the Vulcans are one of the more advanced cultures in their part of space has been part of the franchise's fabric.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Oh, sure, but the point that the Vulcans are one of the more advanced cultures in their part of space has been part of the franchise's fabric.
    That's how it appears to me. Vulcans were pretty much on par with the Andorians, and the Tellarites didn't seem that far behind, either. I think their real power came from a mixture of their firepower and their diplomatic influence. Eat the plomeek broth or get the combat cruiser stick.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Wouldn't the proto-Romulan Vulcans have needed warp drive to get to Romulus?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I believe so

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The TNG two-parter "Gambit" does strongly imply that it was a multi-generational voyage, but the logic is sound. (Admittedly, thanks to some pretty vague lines, it's been a bit of running inconsistency whether the Romulans always had warp drive or only got it by the time of the TV shows.)
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

The TNG two-parter "Gambit" does strongly imply that it was a multi-generational voyage, but the logic is sound. (Admittedly, thanks to some pretty vague lines, it's been a bit of running inconsistency whether the Romulans always had warp drive or only got it by the time of the TV shows.)
    Wasn't that revealed to be a misconception? There's no way the Romulans built an empire and fought several wars without FTL

I figure they used generational ships to reach Romulus [probably killing aliens they encountered along the way and getting warp drive from them] then built warp-capable ships once they'd fully made that planet their home. For all we know, the Romulans arrived and subjugated the Remans who had already developed warp.

Ultimate Member

I figure they used generational ships to reach Romulus [probably killing aliens they encountered along the way and getting warp drive from them] then built warp-capable ships once they'd fully made that planet their home. For all we know, the Romulans arrived and subjugated the Remans who had already developed warp.
    That's possible although I think FTL-capable species would less likely be conquered by those without it

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Wasn't that revealed to be a misconception? There's no way the Romulans built an empire and fought several wars without FTL
    Frankly, I think that's the main reason why it was smart that ENT just decided that the Romulans always had warp drive, making that the franchise's final answer. I mean, even the non-canon tie-ins tried to find explanations that boiled down to them having FTL tech that wasn't warp drive long before ENT.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Frankly, I think that's the main reason why it was smart that ENT just decided that the Romulans always had warp drive, making that the franchise's final answer. I mean, even the non-canon tie-ins tried to find explanations that boiled down to them having FTL tech that wasn't warp drive long before ENT.
    Non-warp FTL st least makes some sense. Whereas no FTL at all doesn't

It's nice to see ENT acknowledged for doing something right

Once they let the good writers have a go, ENT was terrific in s3-4. It had moments of brilliance in s1-2 but not enough since those seasons are what killed the show too soon.

Ultimate Member

Once they let the good writers have a go, ENT was terrific in s3-4. It had moments of brilliance in s1-2 but not enough since those seasons are what killed the show too soon.
    Yeah, s3-4 were better for the most part.

Non-warp FTL st least makes some sense. Whereas no FTL at all doesn't
    While I think them always having warp drive was the best solution (I mean, the non-warp idea came from one line in the original episode, that episode makes no sense if the Romulan ship didn't have warp drive, and the ship had warp nacelles), I do have fondness for the "magnetic bottle drive" alternative used in the LUG RPGs to balance the difference.

Have to say I don't get why the show was so hated; seems like it was generally fine, even if it didn't always reach the heights of the other series.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Kind of interesting that they had FTL but apparently no ship-to-ship viewscreens as Starfleet (apart from maybe section 31) doesn't seem to know what they look like until TOS despite the war.

Then again, Romulans have always been fairly secretive and have often withdrawn back to Romulus for decades, first after the war but also after the "Treaty of Algeron"/Tomed Inciddent until the Borg incursions had them come back.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth