Page 66 of 183 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of interesting that they had FTL but apparently no ship-to-ship viewscreens as Starfleet (apart from maybe section 31) doesn't seem to know what they look like until TOS despite the war.

Then again, Romulans have always been fairly secretive and have often withdrawn back to Romulus for decades...
    Yeah, I have absolutely zero canon to back this up, but it makes one wonder if the the Romulans had operatives under cover as Vulcans in The Federation, and so didn't want Star Fleet knowing what they looked like.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    While I think them always having warp drive was the best solution (I mean, the non-warp idea came from one line in the original episode, that episode makes no sense if the Romulan ship didn't have warp drive, and the ship had warp nacelles), I do have fondness for the "magnetic bottle drive" alternative used in the LUG RPGs to balance the difference.
    How does magnetic bottle drive work?

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Have to say I don't get why the show was so hated; seems like it was generally fine, even if it didn't always reach the heights of the other series.
    It had a lot of problems, but I'm not sure why it gets so much hate. I think it didn't synch up to viewers' preconceptions of that era of the ST universe based on previous ST shows. Tbh, ToS' background dialogue on that era didn't really help

Kind of interesting that they had FTL but apparently no ship-to-ship viewscreens as Starfleet (apart from maybe section 31) doesn't seem to know what they look like until TOS despite the war.

Then again, Romulans have always been fairly secretive and have often withdrawn back to Romulus for decades, first after the war but also after the "Treaty of Algeron"/Tomed Inciddent until the Borg incursions had them come back.
    Yeah, I assume the Romulans simply didn't turn on face to face communication

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yeah, I have absolutely zero canon to back this up, but it makes one wonder if the the Romulans had operatives under cover as Vulcans in The Federation, and so didn't want Star Fleet knowing what they looked like.
    It's an era I really wish they'd make a show about, although with Picard using a similar trick as you described I don't know if the same one would be used there.

Wouldn't mind a TOS (after the movies)/TNG bridge series of some kind, given that era is largely uncovered apart from flashbacks and EU materials.

Maybe have Alan Ruck or Takei show up for a cameo or two.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Then again, Romulans have always been fairly secretive and have often withdrawn back to Romulus for decades, first after the war but also after the "Treaty of Algeron"/Tomed Inciddent until the Borg incursions had them come back.
    Well, in ENT, they just didn't use viewscreens, which would be be a simple enough explanation. (The suggestion in the original episode that the technology wasn't invented yet was a retcon and the general idea that no one knew what the Romulans looked like is a little improbable, but if we grant that assumption, I think it holds up pretty well. It's certainly more consistent than when cloaking devices were invented and who had them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    How does magnetic bottle drive work?
    The TOS core rule book describes the bottle as a one-use device that lets the ship achieve warp speeds. It was never visualized or given a lot of technobabble, but I took it to be that the bottles were basically fuel pods that they plugged into the engines to get their boosts. In narrative and rules purposes, there wasn't any real difference from the warp drive. For the TNG onwards materials, the game presented them as using regular warp drive, with the Klingon alliance from TOS season 3 explaining how they got the tech. It was maybe somewhat convoluted, but I found it fun. If I ever had a chance to run a campaign, I'd probably just assume that the bottle drive was still the "real" answer (unless ENT had the Romulans claiming that

It had a lot of problems, but I'm not sure why it gets so much hate. I think it didn't synch up to viewers' preconceptions of that era of the ST universe based on previous ST shows. Tbh, ToS' background dialogue on that era didn't really help
    I have noticed that as time goes on, it seems to be remembered more favorably (and that was before it became fashionable among certain fans to hate on the new stuff). I actually thought it did a decent job of dividing the difference between trying to look like a modern vision of the future, but still being more primitive than TOS (actually thought the retro look was pretty cool). Personally, seeing how TOS tended to play fast and loose with the background stuff (e.g. how it was constantly in flux how many years in the future it took place, the range of the Enterprise, how much of the galaxy was explored, etc.), I was okay with the show kinda ignoring certain points; it wasn't as "revisionist" as DSC was (I do really like that show, but I've kinda had to accept that continuity with the Star Trek universe is optional at best with it) and I do tend to gloss over a lot of the minor oddities from TOS and TAS in regards to the franchise as a whole anyways.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yeah, the early TOS episodes in particular (and of course Kirk and later opening "mission statement") seem to have Enterprise as sort of a more exploratory "space probe" ship rather than the more multi-tasking it does later on. Plus the Federation and Starfleet aren't exactly fleshed out right away either.

I don't think the timeline was really set either. Sure, it was in the 23rd century but it didn't specify when. Reference books as late as 1986 I think were still given weird dates (Based on the tabletop rpg I think?)

Kind of funny because according to the mostly agreed upon series timeline, TWOK takes place in 2285, so McCoy's "2283" Romulan Ale isn't exactly a vintage.....
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-28-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Ultimate Member

I think that's why holding too tightly to pre-ToS canon as defined by ToS isn't always a good idea

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

on TNG S5 rip sarek

also would be cool of CBS to do one-shots of other ST verse history like lee kuan and the eastern coalition

My friend tells us why Deep Space Nine is one of his top favorite treks -

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It makes sense that they would, and, given the Vulcan hesitance to embracing Starfleet as a career choice and (kinda snobbish) preference for the Vulcan Science Academy way of doing things, it would seem like a hard sneak, since, initially at least, there were fairly few Vulcans in Starfleet (or, when they did, they gravitated to the all-Vulcan Excelsior, where it would be even harder for a Romulan infiltrator to pass, most likely!). They'd benefit from the existence of Vulcan colonies, at least, since Vulcans probably have fairly ridiculous records of anyone born on the planet and leaving to serve Starfleet, but might have sketchier access to the records of Vulcans born off-planet.

Which could make any Vulcan born off Vulcan automatically suspect, in the eyes of some...

That Admiral Oh from the Picard series seems to lends itself to this theory, although I'm sure that by the time she made Admiral, everyone knew what Romulans looked like.

"Q! Stop this charade!"

"Oh, but Mon Capitan! It wasn't me! It was Agatha all along!"

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I wonder with them continuing with the current cast for the new movie if they might bring in a new actress to play Saavik to fill the role that Chekov would have had. I can't see them replacing Anton Yelchin at this point and would more think they would just mention he is on special assignment somewhere instead of recasting the role. Saavik would be a good fill in since she was also a navigator like Chekov.

Funny thing is Chekhov technically isn't a navigator in the first half of the TOS movie series-he's security/tactical in TMP, then returns to that after the Reliant stint at the end of TWOK to give Khan some torpedo payback, and although he does some navigation in III he also works at Spock and Uhura's stations since they're absent (Scotty navigates in III while Chechov is doing Uhura's job). Also in Into Darkness the Kelvinverse version briefly replaced Scotty.

I admit I'm a little skeptical about this, mainly because this is like the third or fourth time we've had writers and directors announced for the Fourth Abrahmsverse film. First it was the rumored Pine/Hemsworth team-up, then Noah Hawley, the Quarantino thing although that may be seperate etc....

Ultimate Member

Funny thing is Chekhov technically isn't a navigator in the first half of the TOS movie series-he's security/tactical in TMP, then returns to that after the Reliant stint at the end of TWOK to give Khan some torpedo payback, and although he does some navigation in III he also works at Spock and Uhura's stations since they're absent (Scotty navigates in III while Chechov is doing Uhura's job). Also in Into Darkness the Kelvinverse version briefly replaced Scotty.

I admit I'm a little skeptical about this, mainly because this is like the third or fourth time we've had writers and directors announced for the Fourth Abrahmsverse film. First it was the rumored Pine/Hemsworth team-up, then Noah Hawley, the Quarantino thing although that may be seperate etc....
    Star Trek: Quarantino, a Star Trek movie for the 2020s