Page 7 of 183 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

what can i say....i like the classics

imagine if all the galaxy class were like that
    Last edited by steve2275; 05-11-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Extraordinary Member

My favorite sci-fi ship is the redesign of the original Enterprise from the first few movies. It's just beautiful. My second favorite Star Trek ship is the Defiant, the ship with attitude.

I know the D is really popular, but it always looked like a bulky, cumbersome mess to me. It's hard to imagine a less elegant and more inefficient design based on the 'saucer and 2 nacelles' formula.

The best enemy ships are probably the Borg Cubes. Simple but gigantic and terrifying.

The Cardassian War was a series of border skirmishes. What's amazing is how the Federation was so desperate for peace that it signed an agreement not very favorable to it despite being the stronger power, and that it insisted on turning a blind eye on the Cardiassian's violations of that agreement so as not to 'disturb the peace' and only got involved when the people it abandoned started taking matters into their own hands.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    The Galaxy-class starship definitely feels more like a gigantic, gaudy peace-time exploration vessel designed to woo new species with the Federation's cultural and technological awesomeness. Ships like the Akira and Defiant (and perhaps even the Sovereign) feel more militant, like they were designed with the idea that the galaxy is not all cupcakes and ice cream any more. War has come to the Federation and will not leave any time soon (thus you need battleships, not pieces of art).
    Only if you play Star Trek Online perhaps. Otherwise, there's not a real reason to think that peace hasn't returned after the Dominion War. Sure, there will always be a need for vigilance and maybe Starfleet will be better prepared for some new (or old) threats, but it's definitely plausible that Starfleet resumed its exploration and scientific programs in the post-war era.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The Cardassian War was a series of border skirmishes. What's amazing is how the Federation was so desperate for peace that it signed an agreement not very favorable to it despite being the stronger power, and that it insisted on turning a blind eye on the Cardiassian's violations of that agreement so as not to 'disturb the peace' and only got involved when the people it abandoned started taking matters into their own hands.
    Wasn't it really a case that some Federation colonists refused to leave the worlds that were now in Cardassian territory? The colonists' refusal to leave could be viewed as a violation of the treaty, putting the Federation (and Starfleet) in a tight spot not too unlike TNG's "The Ensigns of Command" with the Sheliak. Inherently, the Federation seems more willing to negotiate with an enemy rather than use force, regardless of the balance of power.

But I think an aspect that was never covered was is what happened on those Cardassian worlds that were now in Federation territory. Maybe those Cardassian colonists simply packed up and left without incident?
    Last edited by Cel; 05-12-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Well the Galaxy class went through several major upgrades to get it war ready.
    We've actually never seen that per se, except for two things:

-shields that can block Jem'Hadar fire (like every other ship)
    -a couple (and definitely not all) Galaxies have a phaser strip on top of the nacelles

But the extent of those upgrades or their exact nature had never been stated on screen, the primary canon. There's nothing that indicates, say, that a spare science department was scrapped for more phaser energy banks, for example, or if they carried extra soldiers. Heck, we don't know if the Galaxies stopped bringing families on board (logical to assume, but not canon in DS9 in any regard). We also know that weapons and shields are only part of the equation in battle; suffice it to say, we really don't know what those upgrades are, what "war-ready" really means, and what difference those Galaxies have versus the Enterprise-D. Much of that is conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    My favorite sci-fi ship is the redesign of the original Enterprise from the first few movies. It's just beautiful. My second favorite Star Trek ship is the Defiant, the ship with attitude.

I know the D is really popular, but it always looked like a bulky, cumbersome mess to me. It's hard to imagine a less elegant and more inefficient design based on the 'saucer and 2 nacelles' formula.

The best enemy ships are probably the Borg Cubes. Simple but gigantic and terrifying.

The scene in Star Trek: The Motion Picture where Kirk and Scotty are taking a shuttlecraft to the redesigned Enterprise makes me misty-eyed every time.
    I never liked the Enterprise D either. I always thought it was a very ugly and impractical design. I'm a fan of the E though, despite the fact that it only appeared in the terrible TNG movies.
    Last edited by SpOck; 05-11-2014 at 04:30 PM.
    Formerly Doctor Malekith.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    We've actually never seen that per se, except for two things:

-shields that can block Jem'Hadar fire (like every other ship)
    -a couple (and definitely not all) Galaxies have a phaser strip on top of the nacelles

But the extent of those upgrades or their exact nature had never been stated on screen, the primary canon. There's nothing that indicates, say, that a spare science department was scrapped for more phaser energy banks, for example, or if they carried extra soldiers. Heck, we don't know if the Galaxies stopped bringing families on board (logical to assume, but not canon in DS9 in any regard). We also know that weapons and shields are only part of the equation in battle; suffice it to say, we really don't know what those upgrades are, what "war-ready" really means, and what difference those Galaxies have versus the Enterprise-D. Much of that is conjecture.
    I will concede a lot of it is fan conjecture. It just makes sense, when looking over overall arc of the series and how the Federation changes coincided with the ship design changes.
    Life is but a dream

I think the Cardassian thing is also mentioned as being the source of the last tension between Sarek and Spock in Unification (Even after they seemed to patch things up in the movies).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpOck View Post
    I'm a fan of the E though, despite the fact that it only appeared in the terrible TNG movies.
    First Contact was good...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think the Cardassian thing is also mentioned as being the source of the last tension between Sarek and Spock in Unification (Even after they seemed to patch things up in the movies).
    You get to see that conference in a Star Trek comic (I think it was 1 of the Wildstorm 1 shots).

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    First Contact was good...

You get to see that conference in a Star Trek comic (I think it was 1 of the Wildstorm 1 shots).
    Watch the Mr. Plinkett review of the film. He hits it right on the nose. It's on RedLetterMedia.com and Red Letter Media's YouTube channel.
    Formerly Doctor Malekith.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

With their 50th Anniversary coming up I was wondering if we'll see get a new TV series and/or movie.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    With their 50th Anniversary coming up I was wondering if we'll see get a new TV series and/or movie.
    I'm thinking that Star Trek XIII will be out for the 50th.

As far as a new series, I can't rule out the possibility that one will be announced during that time (like how the announcement of TNG was made during the 20th anniversary), but I'm kind of skeptical.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I'm thinking that Star Trek XIII will be out for the 50th.

As far as a new series, I can't rule out the possibility that one will be announced during that time (like how the announcement of TNG was made during the 20th anniversary), but I'm kind of skeptical.
    Hope it happens, I just hope it's farther into the future. That glimpse of Embassador Picard and Captain Data of the Enterprise in the prequel comic to the JJ Abrahms movie was way cooler concept than going back to the 23rd century imo.

Personally, I'd love a new show set a century or two after TNG, but I think any new series will be dependent on who CBS taps to create it. If that person wants to redo either TOS or TNG (just as examples), that's probably the way it will go.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

The online game I think sort of follows the events in the Countdown comic (The novels at this point I think do a seperate thing, although they also ressurected Data recently).

As for the new movie, there will be a new writing team I think although Orci might be directing (Since Abrams is busy with SW). http://trekmovie.com/2014/05/09/robe...t-star-trek-3/

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Personally, I'd love a new show set a century or two after TNG, but I think any new series will be dependent on who CBS taps to create it. If that person wants to redo either TOS or TNG (just as examples), that's probably the way it will go.
    They may find a broader audience if they branch away from "to boldly go" and switch to more tried and true genres set in the Trek Universe. For example, we could have a medical show, or a police show, or a spy show, etc.

It is not my ideal solution to the dearth of Trek shows but if it is the only way we can get Trek back on TV for the foreseeable future, then I am all for it.